• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSlark

Great work! I'm really glad to see that the TLA part of the NWM is coming into focus.

I have a question and a comment:

Are there plans to implement turning lanes on TLA-TLA and TLA-AVE intersections? Also, what happened the to the road turning lanes that Alex once showed in a TLA-Road intersection.

Also, in my part of the world, short TLA bridges often still have the turning lane width. Some are striped for the turning lane and others have the diagonal yellow stripes to divide the roadway. Just something to think about someday.

Cheers,
Kevin

bat

yoshiisland2

Just a quick question, but will the TLA-7 take up two or three tiles?
-yoshiisland2

ssc4k

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature and help him gain world domination.

Starmanw402007

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

yoshiisland2

Hmm...*squints eyes* from this angle it seems like 3 tiles, maybe I'll go and check back on ST since that's where the project really started.
-yoshiisland2

Filasimo

if SA sed its three tiles its three tiles its not that hard..........
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

jplumbley

Quote from: yoshiisland2 on October 11, 2007, 05:21:59 PM
Hmm...*squints eyes* from this angle it seems like 3 tiles, maybe I'll go and check back on ST since that's where the project really started.
-yoshiisland2

Hey yoshi, if SA was wrong I would have corrected him.  But as it turns out he was right so I dont have to correct him.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Starmanw402007

With these turning lanes projects. How many lanes will there be? Just curious?
Your Friend;

jplumbley

There are 3 versions:

TLA-3 (3 Lanes) one tile wide.  This will be a SAM-like override using a Starter Puzzle Piece for the Road Network.  This has had some good progress for the RULs and should be part of the first BETA of TLA.

TLA-5 (5 Lanes) two tiles wide.  This will be activated by drawing side-by-side Roads.  This you have seen the progress in my previous post, I now have taken on the task of re-writing the RTL (Road Turning Lanes) so that it doesnt interfere with the RULs for and of the TLA networks.  So the new RTL Plugin has priority over the rest of this mod.  TLA-5 should be released as part of the first BETA with TLA-3.

TLA-7 (7 Lanes) 3 tiles wide.  This will be activated by drawing a 3rd tile width of the Road Network next to a TLA-5.  TLA-7 will not be part of the first BETA release, the RULs for this are quite complicated and will require TLA-5 to be much further into developement.

I hope this has answered all your questions. This is about what I have for an explaination right now.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

henryking

Mainly this brings up one question.

I know that this roads will be functional....but will they have realistic compacities compared to the other Road's in the game and to each other?

Starmanw402007

Thanks jplumbley, I'll be looking forward to using the Beta Release when it becomes available. I'll give me some new ideas in starting my city.

Your Friend;
Your Friend;

DFire870

Quote from: henryking on October 12, 2007, 04:57:55 AM
Mainly this brings up one question.

I know that this roads will be functional....but will they have realistic compacities compared to the other Road's in the game and to each other?
]

Well of course, it wouldn't make sense if the capacities matched the capacity of roads and regular avenues... Although the TLA-5 and TLA-3 will probably only have slightly increased capacities compared to their counterparts (regular avenue and road respectively), since the additional lane is only a turn lane.
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

jplumbley

Quote from: DFire870 on October 12, 2007, 10:33:48 AM
Well of course, it wouldn't make sense if the capacities matched the capacity of roads and regular avenues... Although the TLA-5 and TLA-3 will probably only have slightly increased capacities compared to their counterparts (regular avenue and road respectively), since the additional lane is only a turn lane.

To answer the question of capacity and speed.

The limitation of the game is that we cannot "add" multiple capacities or speed to a network.  Each 'base' network has a defined capacity and speed.  Now, due to the implementation of the TLA-5 it is going to have the same speed and capacity of the Road network, which in both areas are lower than the Avenue network.  Alex has come up with a work around for this to an extent, but it will mean that Roads, OWRs and Avenues will ALL essentially be the same.  They will all have the same capacity and speed which makes them essentially the same.  They will all look different obviously, but it will allow us to implement new texture variations like TLA-3, TLA-5, TLA-7, AVE-2, AVE-6, Medianless AVE-4 and Medianless AVE-6, much much easier because all the networks will act the same way.

Another advantage will be that we can use the Street network to a fuller extent in our game play.  If we up the network Capacity of the Street network it will allow for the streets used in the SAM to be used in a more versitile fashion.

Not to worry guys, Alex and I have been throwing these ideas around for months and have a good plan to work on, it just takes a while to implement everything.  You guys are in good hands.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

mott

I thought that the commute engine calculates road usage on a per-tile basis.   For example, note that on a diagonal avenue, all traffic going both directions gets funneled through the tiles that are completely covered by avenue (the tiles in the middle).  If you query a diagonal avenue, the "center" tiles will report all the traffic going in both directions, while the "edge" tiles only show the amount of traffic traveling in their direction.  I always thought this was why the centers of diagonal avenues "light up" with congestion on the traffic map well before the orthoganal avenues do?

That being the case, if a TLA-5 is an override of two parallel roads, the commute engine should see two parallel road tiles, and the capacity should exactly double compared to a regular road.  A TLA-7, being three tiles wide, should have triple the capacity of a Maxis road.  And so on.   Unless the process of melding two parallel roads into a TLA-5 makes the game see the two-tile wide network as being only a single tile wide somehow?

jplumbley

Quote from: mott on October 12, 2007, 03:46:13 PM
I thought that the commute engine calculates road usage on a per-tile basis.   For example, note that on a diagonal avenue, all traffic going both directions gets funneled through the tiles that are completely covered by avenue (the tiles in the middle).  If you query a diagonal avenue, the "center" tiles will report all the traffic going in both directions, while the "edge" tiles only show the amount of traffic traveling in their direction.  I always thought this was why the centers of diagonal avenues "light up" with congestion on the traffic map well before the orthoganal avenues do?

That being the case, if a TLA-5 is an override of two parallel roads, the commute engine should see two parallel road tiles, and the capacity should exactly double compared to a regular road.  A TLA-7, being three tiles wide, should have triple the capacity of a Maxis road.  And so on.   Unless the process of melding two parallel roads into a TLA-5 makes the game see the two-tile wide network as being only a single tile wide somehow?

You are exactly right!  What I mean by speed and capacity is on a per tile basis.  So, you will have for example 5000 cars per tile no matter what.  If it is a 2 tile wide TLA-5 then you will have 5000 cars per direction meaning a total capacity of 10000 cars for the "entire" network.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Crissa

If TLA is being built as parallel roads like RHW, does that mean we can have a Turning Lane Road as well?

Or do I need to make some textures?

-Crissa

JoeST

what like TLA-3 is  Crissa?
Quote from: jplumbley on October 11, 2007, 08:15:28 PMTLA-3 (3 Lanes) one tile wide.  This will be a SAM-like override using a Starter Puzzle Piece for the Road Network.  This has had some good progress for the RULs and should be part of the first BETA of TLA.
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Starmanw402007

If I understand correctly, The TLA-7 means that you'll have 3 Lanes in both directions with a "Center" Lane for turning making it TLA-7 right?

Your Friend;
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation)
Your Friend;

Filasimo

Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?