• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas

Quote from: kbieniu7 on November 06, 2008, 01:49:28 PM
And what about it? I've seen that in one MD, and it interested me so much. Is it in progress, or it stopped
http://xs232.xs.to/xs232/08416/teaser575.jpg

Oh, that's still under development. ;)
Andreas

metarvo

Quote from: SamJam on November 06, 2008, 12:43:30 PM
Sometimes I use split ave's for the majority of the road length but convert to OWRs at intersections to serve as a kind of "one way arrow sign" for cross-traffic, that way the arrows are mostly gone but some subtle arrows still exist to let me know what direction the traffic moves in.

I use the split aves (and split highways) extensively.  The split avenue technique is the only way that I can get a diagonal street to connect to an OWR in a pleasing manner.  The split highways serve as mock OWR-3s, but they don't provide RCI access.  That's one reason why a real OWR-3, with or without arrows, is my most anticipated element of the NWM.  Personally, OWR arrows don't bother me at all.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

kbieniu7

Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

j-dub

Heres the current situation for OWR-3 in pictures. First, as you can see, the width difference between the Maxis ground highways versus the new OWR. So yeah, the OWR beats the ground highway, its way bigger, and at this point, thats how the transition is. Maybe, just maybe that will be taken care of later. Second, as you can also see, there are no continuous intersections, as of yet at the moment. Maybe later, thats what the intersections could look like finished with signals. Again, that will just have to taken care of later. Personally I would propose just the two signals overhanging like I have pictured, but maybe after the intersection, unless by having them before blends in with avenues better. This does in fact work wonders for RCI. Sorry for the abandoned houses, those have nothing to do with this. And yes, that is a OWR auto locking into a roadxavenue intersection, but the final result should be different for connecting to an avenue. So before we get back to the NWM, keep watching to see what happens with the RHW first.

metarvo

IMHO, the OWR-3 at an intersection should have three signal heads above it.  From what I have seen, there is typically at least one signal head per lane.  Of course, this may not even be possible, and it may not represent the style of intersection seen in most areas, but that's just what I have seen.  Of course, I'll take the OWR-3 when it comes with 2 signal heads at the intersection, or with 1 or 0.  I'm just giving an example.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

nerdly_dood

From my knowledge of OWRs, it may not be possible at all to have realistic traffic lights on them. The T21s can only work in such a way that they are forever imperfect. &mmm (Can't really put my thoughts into coherent words but I know what I'm trying to say...)

Unless a puzzle piece could be made...? That would (to my knowledge) be a workaround to this problem that requires a little bit of user-input (more than just dragging the OWR through an intersection)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

j-dub

In my state, when it comes to three straight lanes, for some reason they usually just do two signals over three lanes. The turn lane will have a seperate light, which makes three, but, there actually is only two through lane signals overhead. There could be a third straight signal on the pole, though. However, signals are likely to be the last priority for the NWM.

Tilarium

How I wish this mod was still in the activly worked on stage.... would be such a nice weather to have floating around in my cities!    :'(

debutterfly

Don't worry Tilarium. Everyone wishes that these creations were in our cities.  ;) Alex (Tarkus) is kind of busy with the RHW 3.0 and the end of his term at the University. After wrapping up Version 3.0 which is a huge stepping stone from 2.0 he should be focusing his work on the "neglected" projects of his.  ;) But hey, you never know what Alex has up his sleeve.  :D

j-dub

As soon as the latest RHW is done, this will be taken care of. Not that this will be out this year, or anytime soon afterward, but work will return to this, right after the latest RHW. Again, you'll just have to wait and see. Think of this like a TV show, where would the show be if it was resolved instantly?

Pat

&apls :thumbsup: Most well put response there JD and I couldnt think of a better way to say it myself!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

KoV Liberty

About the one way road 3 to Highway transition have you considered having a puzzle piece to make the transition?

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

darraghf

will this project have a left hand side plugin???
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

Swamper77

Quote from: darraghf on November 30, 2008, 01:45:37 AM
will this project have a left hand side plugin???

Every NAM related project will have files to support users whose traffic drives on the left. It is one of the NAM standards for releasing content to the public.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

darraghf

Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

czkimi

i wondering too
can we download this ?when?
but lights are missing its not real :o

Ryan B.

czkimi:  This is not yet available for download.  As a policy, the NAM Team does not announce release dates.  They like to surprise people.  ;)

As far as the lights and other stuff, those won't be added in until later.

MandelSoft

I'll put another side note on this:

I've tried the NWM and it's very hard to work with. I can't even make a very simple intersection quickly with the NWM, because the intersections get quickly messed up. So until that problem is solved, the NWM should probably not be released.

Oh, and by the way, the new turninglane plugin is awfully slow on my computer. I have to wait 30 sec. until something happens  :(

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Jonathan

Maarten,
I can't remember but I'm sure if there are paths for the new Turning Lanes atm, or if you are in LHD then their probably aren't LHD paths yet, that is why it will be slow to draw.

It is possible to use, just not every instance of every intersection is RULed in yet, you have to RUL the piece with every other possible piece it could be next to, leading to sometimes 1000s of lines of RULs.

j-dub

I can back mrtnrln up. The new turning lanes are slower to build, I have right hand drive. They are not always automatically drawn. It needs to overide the street transition(s). Because of the overide with reverting to street, could explain why its alot slower. They also have no signals. At the moment, it doesn't seem to allow opposite turning lanes within two tiles, because how it has to be built like you can now with the current turning lane plugin. Instead of using roads for turning lanes, in my case, I use the turn lanes supplied from tla 3 that have traffic lights. With the intersection alot wider, it allows diagonals to fit better into the intersection right away. Look at how the diagonal road runs into the signalized intersection at the bottom.

The avenue intersections just need careful drawing and clicking on certain parts of places so it can figure out how to draw the crossroad.  Believe me though, the NWM is not something you want rushed to the market.