• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Wider one-way roads (5 lanes wide)

Started by mikeseith, April 23, 2007, 05:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeseith

Hello everyone.  Here is my 1st post on this site...
Jplumbley invited me to start a new thread over here to work on a project started some time ago and dropped do to real life.  The idea here is simple in concept.  Drag 2 one-way roads in the same direction side by side and the game turns them into a 5 lane one-way similar to the RHW. 

My original post in Simtropolis
Here are 2 experimental textures I made for the idea. 

All Downloads...Updated Sept.07, 2007

NOTE:  These are only texture files and not any sort of completed mod.  They are only a small part of what will be a finished product in the future.

thundercrack83

These look great! They would work out well in central downtown areas. It reminds me of the streets in Manhattan. Can't wait to see this project develop!

sarungman

wow.... this is what i'm looking for!!! will be fit in urban/downtown area..... :thumbsup:
:::=:::=:::=:::=:::=:::

please wait for my return :D
-AsianEvolusioner AKA Sarungman

jplumbley

Awesome... Glad you could make it over here!  Glad to see you aboard...

Those textures are awesome.  I am glad someone was able to make some.  The textures I was using were not as good as some of the ones out there.

I have the RULs created for the OWR-5 Orthogonals...  But I have still yet to figure out the split, but that should come easy once I get the Texture IIDs.  Personally, I am not the strongest modder in the world when it comes to transit modding, so I dont know how the Diagonals will work yet.  But we can definately try, and Tarkus will definately give me some answers when I get there :P

Now, there is one issue I ran into.  For these overrides to work in the split, we will have to go off on a Diagonal or a 90 degree turn.  We cannot go straight.  What I need when it comes to textures for now will be orthogonal intersections.  I am not ready for diagonals yet.  I would also need the textures to be split up into 128x128 pixel textures.  That makes it somewhat easier as I can mirror the textures and only need half of them for orthogonals.  :P

Thats my two cents for now.  I will have more time in about a week to work on this project with you.  Too much stuff happening at once in my world :P

Here is a quote from my experiment thread here at SC4D in the NHP Forums:

Quote from: jplumbley on April 23, 2007, 06:01:36 PM
OK to start I will explain the basis for this topic.

I am going to use this thread for ideas, concepts and general experimentation.  It will be a place to showcase new ideas I have come up with or some brainstorming ideas that float around NHP and get tested.

Anyways, I will start off my experimentation of what I did about a week ago and posted in ST.  This is for my one way road mod that might start to take off soon.  If anyone has seen RHW (Rural Highway Mod) by qurlix, you will recognize that I am attempting to essentially adapt his work to another network.  In this case one way roads.  So.... What I am trying to do is make a 2-tile wide one way road that has 5 lanes and parking in the outside two lanes.  The texture I used was created by Beskhu3epnm.

Well heres a couple pics of what I have done.

Picture 1

Picture 2

In picture 1, I drew the path of the one ways to both go in the same direction, downwards using the technique I figured out with arranging the textures properly the other day, was also able to draw them for the opposite direction.  When I did this though I was not sure if this method would have an effect on the paths.  I proved that it doesnt seem to with picture 2.  In picture 2 I drew the roads with the same method, just one side with the arrows facing one way and the other side facing in the opposite direction.  This did not have any effect on the textures because they came out the same, a good thing.  But!!  It made the paths for each side of the road go in opposite directions.  Meaning that when the OWR is originally drawn and a texture override is created, then the paths will follow the direction that the OWR was drawn.

"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Tarkus

Hi mikeseith, glad to see you made it over here as well! 

Well, jplumbley, as far as the splitter piece goes, there's a couple of different ways it could work out.  Doing the standard 0x10000002 RUL override, you're right that we'd have to do the splitter on a diagonal or a 90 degree turn.  However, if we were to use one of the OWR RULs (I don't know the IIDs of the top of my head), we may be able to implement it on a straight, though we'd still have to split so that the OWRs aren't side-by-side and invoking the OWR-5 override. 

As far as the diagonals go, I'm thinking that we may want to use the "double diagonal" setup for the override--I don't think anyone is really using that, and if they are, they'd probably want an OWR-5 anyway. ;)   I'll show you a diagram a little later.

-Alex

wouanagaine

Nice this project is relive

here is what I've tested when JP sent me the files

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

sarungman

??? &mmm the arrow sign looks very annoying (for me), can it be removed using "no arrow sign mod"? this mod will be very awesome!!! very realistic!! :thumbsup:
:::=:::=:::=:::=:::=:::

please wait for my return :D
-AsianEvolusioner AKA Sarungman

Filasimo

omg...strangly i was talking about this the other day and now it appears i cannot wait til this is released this will go well with my airport area....need another tester?  ::) i also do agree with the arrows. is there some chance to reduce the number of times the owr arrows appear?
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

wouanagaine

Quote from: sarungman on April 24, 2007, 02:50:15 AM
??? &mmm the arrow sign looks very annoying (for me), can it be removed using "no arrow sign mod"? this mod will be very awesome!!! very realistic!! :thumbsup:
Yes I think so, it was just a preliminary test to see if the various RUL works

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

memo

Actually, I don't really like the layout of two onewayroads which change to a OWR-5. In this way, it wouldn't be possible any longer to drag two oneway roads next to each other in opposite directions. Of course, you could simply build an avenue but the former is the much cheaper alternative and doesn't look as wealthy as the avenue. Besides, you sometimes need to seperate two avenues through two onewayroads in order that the sidewalks don't appear in rural areas. Some people even asked me to use this override to create such a boulevard, but unfortunately, this project never got finished because of a lack of texture artists.

I'd prefer an override similar to draggable GLR, but for avenues. In this way, the OWR-5 would have more capacity than two oneway roads which explains the fifth lane. ;)

Quote from: Filasimo on April 24, 2007, 03:10:32 AM
i also do agree with the arrows. is there some chance to reduce the number of times the owr arrows appear?
There is. I once created a mod which removed the arrows on all straight and diagonal oneway road tiles and oneway road roundabouts. The arrows at most intersetions remained. The best thing was, that the arrows became visible while hovering the query tool over a oneway road. Moreover, the arrows aren't removed completely, so that one can still see in which direction the oneway roads run. The mod in use:

(All these pictures aren't taken by me.)
Is it worth to be released?

Sorry for OT.

wouanagaine

QuoteIs it worth to be released?
Are you kidding ?
Of course it is

New Horizons Productions

jplumbley

@memo  Your new avenue looks very good.  That override can also be done with 2 roads next to each other.  Tarkus was working on the idea of making the Suicide Lane textures into a 2 road override in this fasion.  He was able to make the left hand turn lane functional as well.  But again this was only in the experimental stage.  If we were to have the side by side roads turned into an avenue that would allow for your wide sidewalk avenues and the OWR-5 to co-exist.

RHW technology is transferable to any textured network which is awesome.  We just need textures to make it work.  But each and every one of these new networks will have to become part of the NAM at some point because they are part of the same file and you will not be able to pick and choose which ones you want and which ones you dont.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Filasimo

yes u should memo i do remember there was a no owr mod that took it completely off but i wanted some arrows left but urs is just perfect....this will make it easier bc what i do now is the avenue then add rail to demolish the opposite side so it just shows that one direction...awesome work and i cant wait to use this. what makes it convenient compared to the ANT is that no road zots will appear if u use the owr concept to make 5-owr lanes cheers!  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Gaston

QuoteIs it worth to be released?
Let's see.   Should this be released?    I would have to say:
Hell YES !!!
Sorry I yelled but this is perfect.    Like haveing your cake and eating it too.    You get one way roads with just enough arrows to know that they are one way.     Perfection.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

thundercrack83

I must agree with the consensus on the one-way arrow mod, memo. That is outstanding! I hope you will release it because it will make dealing with one-way roads a little easier.

As for the OWR-5, it looks like that's coming along rather well, too! Thanks to all of you who are involved in this project, and I hope to see more of the development! Good luck!

rooker1

The OWR-5 looks fantastic.  There is so many new things going on with SC4 that my mind is beginning to spin out of control.

And memo you must release the no one way aroow modd!!  Please........ ;)

Robin   :thumbsup: &apls
Call me Robin, please.

sebes

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Tarkus

memo, that's a really interesting point as far as the implementation goes.  I hadn't thought of doing a puzzle drag with Avenues for the OWR-5 but that makes sense. 

To take a slight OT detour (which I'll explain why below),I had been collaborating with jplumbley on a related project, the "Turning Lane Avenues" (TLA), which looked vaguely like Avenues, but had functional center turn lanes, and were implemented using RHW technology with the Road network.  There were two versions I had been working on, a TLA-5 (4 + center turn lane) and a TLA-7 (6 + center turn lane), which were implemented by a Road-Road and a Road-Road-Road override, but capacity is one thing I had worried about. 

(I've since fixed the Alpha transparency issues on these, and am smoothing out the paths)

I had considered doing some sort of puzzle drag with the Avenues instead for the TLA-5, but then the TLA-7 implementation would have been slightly problematic.  Had I done something like Avenue/Road side-by-side, one side of the network would have less capacity/speed, and I don't know how feasible it would be to set up a Avenue/Split Avenue (3-tile) puzzle drag, which would need to be done if we wanted to implement any sort of even wider OWR (as crazy as that sounds) as well.

The main reason I bring this up is because I have considered the idea of doing some sort of optional traffic exemplar modification for capacity/speed, to eliminate some of the differentiation between the Road, OWR and Avenue networks in terms of capacity/speed, which would optimize things for a OWR-OWR override-based OWR-5.  It's a little bit of an extreme idea, admittedly, but one I thought was worth sharing.

Of course, that is an interesting point about people using the side-by-side OWRs in opposite directions.  Personally, I don't use that myself, as I don't particularly care for how it looks, but the question may be whether people who are using that would be willing to give that up to have an OWR-5.  Of course, that also kind of goes against the NAM's "add, not replace" idea, but the Avenue network still serves that purpose, so it wouldn't entirely be the case, and with the right textures and Type21 setup, it is possible to make Avenues look a little less luxuriant. ;)

And I'd also agree that you should release that one-way arrow mod, memo.  The existing one is a little tricky to use sometimes, so yours would be a huge improvement. ;)

-Alex

Filasimo

you know it just hit me :something hits me: ow!  $%Grinno$% when u use the mod u have memo when u make a OWR intersection which arrow will appear first the last OWR direction u place to make the intersection or the OWR you placed first?
Plaza Mall Project
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

mikeseith

here are the textures I posted before broken down into 128x128 chunks.  They are in .bmp and .fsh formats with the alpha channel.  Not sure what you meant about diagonals...you didn't want me to make diagonal textures did you?

download the .zip to get the .fsh and .bmp files...