• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLexible UnderPasses (FLUPs)

Started by Chrisim, December 25, 2008, 04:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisim

FLexible UnderPasses (FLUPs) are included in the NAM - no additional download is required. FLUPs consists of underground network puzzle pieces. Car traffic moves below the surface - it's the opposite to elevated road puzzle pieces. You simply plop two or more ramps and connect them with puzzle pieces. The system works also for underground freight traffic, for underground road networks like avenues, one-way roads, streets and RHW, for underground tram routes (including tram-avenue) and for pedestrian tunnels. FLUPs pieces do NOT work correctly for underground rail - please use the special underground rail pieces.

FLexible UnderPasses are usually build on flat terrain and do often cross below other networks (train, road, highway, canals, ...) or parks or custom pieces. It's a fully functional system, the traffic simulator works, UDI can pass and automata work (although they disappear when entering a ramp, they usually appear again at the other end). There is one important drawback, though; you cannot plop lots on top of it.

FLexible road UnderPasses have existed since the January 2009 NAM. The model of the Marrast road underpass is used as road ramp, but unlike the static Marrast underpass lots, FLUPs are flexible and modular and allow more complex underpasses.  The idea for these puzzle pieces also came from the similar rail underground puzzle pieces inside the NAM. FLUPs puzzle pieces can be recognized by their tiny manhole covers at their edges.

FLexible oneway road and avenue UnderPasses were included in the June 2009 NAM. You simply plop two or more ramps and connect them with FLUPs puzzle pieces. For the underground connection, you simply plop FLUPs pieces - they work for either road, oneway or avenue underground. The ramps define how the traffic is using the connections.

FLexible tram and tram-avenue UnderPasses are included in the May 2010 NAM, using the same system.

NAM version 30 contains one new FLUPs functionality: you can now build underpass avenue roundabouts.

Here is the link to the tutorial, how to build such FLexible UnderPasses.

Some images - a tram-avenue underpass below rail:

I needed such an underpass in one of my cities, and that's why I started modding in 2007.

An urban area with lack of space:

The avenue passes below the rail (using two straight FLUPs pieces below rail) and two T-junctions connect it to the two road ramps. The tiny manhole covers indicate the subsurface connections.

Caspervg's underpass from Casper's Portfolio - Update 19: Plymouth's Industry and Residentials - 17th:

The O'Shaughnessy Tunnel under New Dublin Harbor by jpj_starfleet is a complex functional underpass system:

More examples (click to increase the image size):

-------
Bug correction: The underground tram junction under avenue-road junction has faulty paths. Copy the dat file from the attached zip-file into your NAM Plugins sub-folder.

Chrisim

Some links to real underpass photos:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c2/Lefortovo-tunnel.jpg/800px-Lefortovo-tunnel.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/Mannheim-Fahrlachtunnel.jpg/800px-Mannheim-Fahrlachtunnel.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/62/Murray_Hill_Tunnel_taxis.jpg/800px-Murray_Hill_Tunnel_taxis.jpg
http://www.wsa-kiel.wsv.de/images/kanal/tunnel/StraTu/Luftbild_StraTu_gross.jpg

A first picture of FLUPs can be found in Casper's Portfolio - Update 19: Plymouth's Industry and Residentials - 17th:

By the way, you can also create underwater underpasses with these puzzle pieces (sorry, it's just an ugly test city and I have improved the texture since this early test photo):

And these tunnels do not have to be straight:

However, you cannot build bridges across underpasses.
It's funny to observe the automata underwater during UDI:

nerdly_dood

Well, that'll be handy, won't it... We've got networks on the ground, elevated networks as puzzle pieces and now this...  :thumbsup: I'd like to see what exactly can be done with the FLUPs.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

andreharv

That is awsome!  I am a big fan of marrast's underpasses and I feel like this is the apex of development.  Though Blahdy's underpasses were marvelous for their detail, I didn't like the fact that it utilized subways for underground transport since the transition between networks sometimes caused pathing issues.  How thrilling!

Pat

Daaang Chrism!!! you're on fire lately!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

jixor

I guess other than the underwater it doesn't really add anything that you can't do with the raised pieces, however it looks fantastic! I'll certainly replace a few ugly raised roads with this.

Sartoris

So these are the raised puzzle pieces with different models? Neat.
Not just neat. Awesome.  :thumbsup:

Swamper77

Quote from: Sartoris on December 25, 2008, 08:00:55 PM
So these are the raised puzzle pieces with different models? Neat.
Not just neat. Awesome.  :thumbsup:

Actually, these are ground level puzzle pieces with paths that are below ground level. Almost all puzzle pieces can be placed in water.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

girlfromverona

Looking good! Can't wait to see more pics.  &apls

A200

Glazert

These will be a great innovation. If RHW versions were released, it might partially solve the no-RHW tunnels issue, at least for underwater tunnels.

TheChosenOne

SimNation

I have a question,I am sure others will ask this as well. If you have underpass's that used the subway transit switch method of going underground will you be able to upgrade them to this method?. BuddyBud unoffically released underpass's in his old thread at the Stex eions ago and work 100% like blahdys and marrasts but were 1x1 and I would love to be able to continue to use them but with this new method. Great work on this btw

Also one more Q. Will it effect shipping at all? I mean will it make the game crash or anything if ships are sailing across the water and you have a tunnel underneath.

j-dub

Yes guys, this mod really does come in handy.
ChriSim, I would suggest a real tall disappearing prop on the plain straight, and turn underpass pieces for building underwater, so you can see where they are. Without that, it can be tricky.

Meastro444

can those underpasses be crossed by a Ferry?
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

Jonathan

Yes they can:(click for bigger)

Also you can tell the direction of the underground road by the drains, and now this tile is transparent.

Jonathan

Banger

~ I prefer the German language ! ~

Ewige Treue - ewiger Stolz !

Hansa Rostock für immer und ewig !

nerdly_dood

Nice!

One question.. What do they look like with the draw-paths cheat turned on - do the paths show up properly, or does the ground hide them or what?
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

michl

Oh, this is very awesome! I´m dreaming oft the next NAM...  ;D
Hi, Greetings to everybody

My Metropolis Harlin:
http://www.sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4502.0

Teublitz Fire Department http://www.ff-teublitz.de

allan_kuan1992

Bingo! Just what I needed. Now I don't have to tediously dig tunnels underneath waterways xD

- Allan Kuan