• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

Brinstar? Maridia? I smell a theme!

Brilliant work, as always, Alex! Can't wait to see what's next--perhaps Norfair Street?

Take care, my friend!

Dustin

metarvo

It's good to see all of TDot's construction equipment going again.  Of course, it looks like you might be teasing us with the TuLEP's again.  Nice update, Alex!  :)

Quote from: thundercrack83 on October 27, 2009, 10:49:05 PM
Brinstar? Maridia? I smell a theme!

Dustin, on top of all of that it seems like I remember seeing Ridley Road [linkie] earlier.  I get the feeling TDot's definitely doing something here...  ()stsfd().
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

ecoba

It's nice to see that the bulldozers (and you) are back, my friend.

I'm liking Lenox, it's construction-ey.

Well actually getting in to the depths of the update, Brinstar Road really did need some widening. That backup in the first picture is awful! I like the whole series of construction pictures, very intriguing, and realistic to how roads are built as well.

Pretty much every road out of my town has been 4-Lane Divided, and when I had to leave twon to go somewhere, I had to pass through construction all the way to the interstate, say, 30 miles north. Was I in your computer then, Alex? because it looks just like what you displayed for us.

I like the use of NAM content that you have and we don't yet. ;) . The TuLEPs showcased at the completed section are very innovative and I can't wait to use them.

I also like the new traffic signals.

Ethan

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

EDGE4194

glad to see another update! i love the step-by-step detail of the construction projects. my only question- road cul-de-sacs? how did i miss those and what mod are they from?

Ryan B.

Another great update, Alex - showing why Tarkusian Cities is the best roadgeek MD on SC4D today.

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Back with another update already.  We'll be taking a look at the first part of construction on the north-south arterial discussed in the previous update, that will connect between Main Street and Maridia Way.  But first, I'll get to replies:

Dave (superhands):  Thanks for the kind words, and for the feedback on the traffic signals!  I was wondering when someone was going to notice them. :)

TmiguelT:  Glad you enjoyed the construction--thanks!  Ka-boom effect, eh?  I'm sure you'll be seeing it again here soon.  Haven't needed to demolish much these past couple projects, but I'm sure you'll see it in force again . . .

Daniel (Shadow Assassin):  Thanks, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!  And as mentioned last update, I've got you on the map now.  Introducing Shadow Mountain Boulevard, which starts on the north side of Arboris (which will be featured in an update relatively soon).

Battlecat:  Thanks for the compliments on the construction scenery--this project ended up being quite a bit of fun to do!  And the widened Brinstar Road has helped quite a bit, too--it's amazing what a couple extra lanes can do.  Hope you enjoy the bridge work coming up . . . there's plenty of it.

j-dub:  Nice photoshopping there!  Though the corridor doesn't quite need that much "turn-laneage" yet, and I'm not so sure on the intersection geometry there. ::)

dragonshardz:  Thanks, and if you're wondering about that "mystery project" in Wakeman, it was already constructed, actually.  See Update 39. :)

Dustin (thundercrack83):  Heh . . . you caught the Super Metroid references. :D  That was probably one of my favorite games back in the day . . . still definitely in my top-10 today (along with SC4, of course).  Thanks for the kind words--I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed the update!

metarvo:  Thanks for the compliments--and good eye catching those TuLEPs there.  I figured it's been awhile since I've worked "under development" stuff in, so I'd sneak that in.  And TDOT . . . or technically, the cities of Lenox and Arboris . . . are definitely up to something.  Most of these cities are, if you look closely. ;)

Ethan (ecoba):  Thanks--it's good to be back!  The bulldozers were getting hungry.  And yes, it's amazing just how bad congestion was there on Brinstar . . . in traffic engineering terms, that would have been Level of Service F . . . maybe even G, which doesn't exist. :D  Glad you liked the TuLEPs and signals as well.  You'll definitely be seeing more of them . . .

Joe (JoeST): Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

Eric (EDGE4194):  Thanks for the kind words--I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed the construction detail!  And to answer your question, you haven't missed anything with the Road cul-de-sacs . . . they were done by my very talented colleague Dave (superhands) and haven't been released yet.

Ryan B.:  Thanks, and coming from one of the biggest purveyors of roadgeekery in the SC4 community, I really take that as a compliment!

Now onto the update.

Seven Islands Parkway Project

This project will build a new north-south route between the Main Street/Railroad Street couplet (Highway 231) and Maridia Way, providing another route between suburban North Lenox and the city center, in addition to providing a "grand entrance" to the Sealey University campus.  The new road will be known as the Seven Islands Parkway, named after the "mini-archipelago" in the Lenox River, situated just to the west of the new roadway (and just north of downtown). 

The new roadway will consist of 4 travel lanes divided by a median.  It will be constructed along the current alignment of Oak Way, Maple Drive and Wheatstone Terrace, with a bridge crossing Maridia Creek.  The project faced some opposition among residents neighboring Wheatstone Terrace, however, the city's engineering team carefully worked with stakeholders to design an alignment to minimize impact to existing residential areas while still providing the throughput needed to improve traffic flow in this area of the city.  The alignment avoids all existing structures and the roadway will be designed for 30mph speeds.

The first segment shown as part of this update will show construction on south of Maridia Creek.

The following maps will illustrate the project area before:

And what it will look like after completion:

Here's the existing intersection of Oak Way with the Main Street/Railroad Street couplet (Highway 231) (facing north):

The rather indirect "jog" of Oak Way and Maple Drive, which all traffic to the university must travel through now (facing north):

Construction equipment has been set up at the site of the new bridge (facing north):

Excavation has begun for the new, more direct alignment from Highway 231 up to the bridge site (facing north).

A temporary alignment for Oak Way has been built while the new alignment is built (facing north).

Work on the new alignment (facing north).

In order to get around some of the weird intersection geometry in the area, a 2-lane roundabout will be built, connecting the new Seven Islands Parkway to Maple Drive and the university, as well as the old section of Maple Drive/Oak Way. (facing north)

The new bridge has been more or less built, and the south segment is more or less open to traffic (facing north).

And that does it for this update--we'll take a look at the north half of the project next time.

-Alex

dragonshardz

It seems I forgot about Update 39. Other than that, it all looks great as usual and I can't wait to see what you do next.

canyonjumper

Nice work with that new parkway &apls Just wondering where you got the partial bridge supports used in update 56.
Anyways, excellent showcasing of the TuLeP pieces. I can't wait to use them!  ;D
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

dedgren

Roadgeekery gone wild!  I can't think of anyone else who has as much fun with this as you do, Alex.  Almost as much fun, probably, as we have looking at it.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

joelyboy911

Another awesome update Alex. Great roads. I also thought, I might say, that you have done some really nice stuff with the trees there, as well as the other mayor mode flora mods, I see that RRP grass scattered in the first picture.

Construction stuff's looking really nice as well!
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Battlecat

Cool update!  Nice choice using a roundabout in that spot!  I like the before and after maps, they're a nice touch. 

TmiguelT

Awesome update  :thumbsup:. It was short but very self explanatory. i see that the round-a-bout is gonna help a lot with traffic and that road will probably be upgraded on the future  ;).

Earth quake

Really nice Update. :thumbsup:
I really like the construction stuff.
Excellent work.

j-dub

QuoteA temporary alignment for Oak Way has been built while the new alignment is built (facing north).

Uh, I think you forgot something very important about this temporary route, look closer. The cars can no longer go straight across the oneway to the other side, I drew an arrow in red on your picture where they now have to go a longer way around. (See Attached)
I understand that route was only momentary, but still.

nerdly_dood

I'm noticing a few indications of future NAM developments:

- The OWRs have new lines in places - is that just the arrow overlay that's been modified...?

- The roads end in cul-de-sacs - I recall seeing developments of a road cul-de-sac project but it seems to have died several months ago.

Also I can't tell where exactly jdub is indicating that vehicles can't cross over...

Great update, though... (What else would I expect? :P )
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Nexis4Jersey

Another Great update , my eyes are bleeding i'm going blind so much NAM Candy :thumbsup: &apls

ecoba

Very nice updat, Alex.

An interesting project you've got here.

I'll do a long reply next time.

Ethan

JBSimio

Nice update Alex!   :thumbsup:

The new parkway looks like a very sensible route according to the "after" map.  It should make for a very nice main entrance to the university.  I initially thought the same thing as J-dub when looking at the temporary alignment, but I figure that road construction always brings a few extra challenges and headaches for the drivers... so why would this be any different?  ;)

Looking forward to the finished project...
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

superhands

nice work on the map alex. I havn't checked it for a while too.
img that the Seven Islands pkwy will reduce that morning commute time and make things a lot safer :P  especially for the greenies who travel on mopeds to uni.

-dave