• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

ploppable water that matches Peg "brignatine" water mod

Started by forevering, April 08, 2010, 11:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forevering

Hello,

I have a request that may already have been done somewhere.  I have the PEG "brigantine" water mod that seems to be very popular to me (unless there are alot of water mods that appear similar that other people are using).  I also have Jeronii J's transparent ploppable water that is so wonderful.  But the colors don't match.  In fact I have tried some other ploppable waters and none of them match either.  looking through CJs and MDs I have not seen any that actually do match either.  having ploppable water that matches the color of game water would be so awesome.

Is there one that does match? or is there a way to change the ones we have so that they do?  I am a huge fan of the the transparent water by Jeronii J.  so finding one that matches that or changing it to match would be ideal. 

Also, while I have never made any custom anything (except a really crappy map), if someone could point me in the right direction to figure out how to do this I would definitely try to myself.

thanks

cogeo

I would second this (though my favourite water mod is Windjammer).

Actually these are not really hard to make. It is now well known how to use models with 1 Zoom/Rotation view (rather than BAT models' 20 Z/R views). And the quality would be superior, as BAT exporting (with all its known problems like pixelation, blurring, loss pf detail etc) is not involved in the procedure. So, using such models does not require modelling (BAT) but only texturing.

Jeronij has already released an excellent ploppable water set. As I hate making duplicate things, I would suggest that the new set is made as a patch for the jeronij set (yes, this is feasible). This has an additional benefit, which is the ability to make more patches (for Brigantine, Windjammer etc) and install/uninstall the patches selectively (ie make them interchangeable), just like PEG's water mods.

I don't have the time to do this, but I think the process is quite simple:
- Make a set of simple, flat/planar 1-Z/R models (well, modify an existing one).
- Extract the texture(s) from PEG's mods.
- Add a proper alpha to the textures and re-import them.
- Modify the models so that they use the aforementioned textures.
- Make a patch for jeronij's set, so that it uses the new models.
- And of course, there may be required some doctoring of the textures, in order to look as good as possible.

You must get permission from both PEG and jeronij for this.

I really hope that someone makes this!

WC_EEND

I second this request. unfortunately my modding knowledge is too basic to do it myself
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project