• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Translation request for Cogeo's RTMT

Started by RippleJet, July 18, 2007, 01:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RippleJet

Quote from: cogeo on August 16, 2007, 11:04:17 AM
This is explained in detail in the readme you already have.

Which is very good and highly recommended to read! :thumbsup:

cogeo

The lots are on the LEX now. If you have installed any of plugins attached in this thread, please uninstall and delete them (install the released version).

I would like to thank once more Andreas, AcE-cOdEr, Ennedi, Rayden, sebes, BarbyW, ebina, dmscopio, vester, ExiLe, Marco Berzacola and ussagus for the translations they have carried out. Of course most credit goes to RippleJet for researching and organising all this. RTMT is one of the few packages translated to so many languages, and this thanks to the members on this site who have contributed!  &apls

I wish we see more plugins translated as well. I think creators would like to see their products better tailored to international players (though they all do speak English more or less).

I think the NAM and the BSC Essentials (queries, menus) should be the next candidates. As for the BSC essentials, I think there should be added some standard menu descriptions for most building types (RCI ploppables, parks/plazas, power, police etc) if there haven't alerady (and of course be translated as well). Landmarks, rewards and civic buildings are quite hard to standardise (most have custom descriptions).

Individual BATs and Lots are somewhat hard to have translations carried out (using the same procedure) as most of them contain just a few strings, and the overhead posed by the procedure would exceed the translation effort itself by far. These can instead be translated as groups, ie post "Translation Requests" for sets of BATs/Lots, rather then individually. It's good that we recently see RCI BATs and Lots released as "mega-packs".

Prop-packs unfortunately don't all use LTEXTs, some do, some others use the Item Name Property and the rest either do not display a prop description or are queried as the main bulding. There are even inconsistencies within the same prop-pack (as a result of developing each one individually and then merging them into mega-packs); this would require re-modding the prop-packs.

Anyways, there is much work to be done to make custom content more friendly to international players, but I think the work and the cooperation we experienced in this thread has opened the way!  :thumbsup:

Ennedi

Congratulations cogeo and thank you all contributors (especially RippleJet) for great cooperation work!  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

RippleJet

Quote from: cogeo on August 18, 2007, 11:33:51 AM
The lots are on the LEX now.

Downloaded and installed... now for some playing! Thanks a million, Cogeo! :thumbsup:

I wish we see more plugins translated as well. I think creators would like to see their products better tailored to international players (though they all do speak English more or less).

Yes, anybody can open a new thread with requests for translations here. :)

I think the NAM and the BSC Essentials (queries, menus) should be the next candidates. As for the BSC essentials, I think there should be added some standard menu descriptions for most building types (RCI ploppables, parks/plazas, power, police etc) if there haven't alerady (and of course be translated as well). Landmarks, rewards and civic buildings are quite hard to standardise (most have custom descriptions).

Actually the BSC menus are already "translated", since they work in the same way as all in-game menus, referring to LTEXT files in SimCityLocale.dat.
In other words, they will be displayed in the language set by the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Maxis\SimCity 4\1.0\Language.
However, provided of course that that particular language version of the simcity_1.dat file is installed on your computer (the US version of the game only includes one version of the SimCityLocale.dat file).

And yes, I should open a thread with information about that registry key! :thumbsup:

Andreas

Congrats on the update, cogeo. :) I didn't have a chance to try the new stations yet (and I'm too busy to play the game at the moment anyway), but I also appreciate the international support a lot. SimCityPlaza is probably the only SC4 site that provides foreign (in this case German) translations for the community, and thanks to RippleJet's excellent tutorial on how to create multilingual lots, all new SFBT releases use this technique to make them available both in German and English at the same time. Obviously, it requires a bit more effort than publishing in a single language, but it's still easier than maintaining two completely different sets of files. If anyone wants to do additional translations, I can also provide some hints on how to do this task.
Andreas

ExiLe

Congrats guys, great work!
I was just glad I could help. I'll download it now and check it out, can't wait ;)

oh for any future projects, just mail me, I'll do what I can to help. ;)

take care,
...coming soon

ussagus

Excellent work to all... :thumbsup: and congratulation Cogeo and RippleJet
If you need me for a future spanish translation...you know where you can find me..  ;)

Saludos