• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ivy generator Tutorial for 3dsmax

Started by Girafe, September 05, 2010, 09:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Girafe

Tutorial for Ivy generator from Thomas Luft for 3dsmax.

Ivy generator is a tool which allows you to create ivy for your 3D models with3dsmax. This tutorial concerns the version 1.3 of Ivy generator.

This tutorial will explain you how to use Ivy generator with3dsmax.

Installation :

•   Download Ivy generator  there

3dsmax

In your scene under 3dsmax select the wall which you want as support for your ivy.

Export the selection witj the extension .OBJ with filled options like in the picture.

note : avoid names with figures

How to use Ivy generator

Import the selection you have already exported from 3dsmax.

You obtain your selection under lvy generator.

note : if you see nothing, zoom out, you surely are inside the box of your selection.

Click on the place you want to see your ivy starting to grow (green point).

You have few options which allow you to modify the growth and the look of your plant (select what you want it's up to you).

As you are ready click on grow.

You see your ivy growing with selected options.
note 1: if your ivy grows inside your object click on flip normals.
note 2: under grow you have the generated, warning more than 500 branches your model will be heavy.

For stopping the growth of your plant click again on grow.

Then click on birth in order to see your ivy textured.

note: if you are not satisfied with this model double click in another place in the scene where a new ivy will grow.

When you have the good model, you need to export again as .OBJ.

and yo import again under 3dsmax with selected options as in the picture.

note 1: when you made previews, gamma of BAT4MAX is not selected so you need to reload all textures
note 2: for my part leaves don't work correctly so I redraw 2 models.

Leaf 1 with alpha:

Leaf 2 with alpha:

For time it works only with 3dsmax

All softwares used in this tutorial have copyrights and authors rights so don't forget them.

Credits to Orange, TSC team for discovering and sharing this ivy generator with me and Girafe, TSC & BSC team for creating and translating this tutorial.

I can modify this tutorial later.
Sorry for the poor english  ::)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Girafe

Correction : smooth option is set automatically to 30 it's really to much, 0 works fine and model will be less heavy   ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Delecto

Thanks for the tuto Girafe.  :thumbsup:

Have you tried the plugin for 3dsmax by GuruWare? Try http://www.guruware.at/main/.
Ivy Generator direct in 3dsmax9 to 2011! I'm testing for 6 months and it's really cool!  ;)

Aaron Graham

Thank you for the tutorial.  &apls  You should also give a tutorial on making trees.
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy