• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

TSCT - Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool

Started by Stefan79, May 05, 2010, 02:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetinker

Stefan79:

After a brief period of hair-pulling, and digging, I found the references to JRE 6 in the changelog, and in this support thread. Unfortunately, the LEX description doesn't note it. I added a comment to the download page to call people's attention to it.

Believe it or not, some of us out here still use Win98, for a variety of reasons. JRE 6 is not supported on Win98 or WinME. While I have long since given up asking developer's for backward compatibility on the latest, greatest tools, it would be nice to have system requirements spec'd out in descriptions. Sigh... I know, I'm a dinosaur. (I do have a WinXP computer, it's just down with a flu....)

That said, after re-writing the .bat file so it would run in aWin98/JRE5 environment, I got the following error list:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)

Any chance you have earlier beta versions available that might run under JRE5? I'd love to try the tool, and would be willing to give up some functionality or glitz.

z

Quote from: adampj on October 27, 2010, 12:51:35 PM
I'm not sure whether this question is more appropriate here or in a RHW thread, but my guess is that those who are experts in TSCT are also RHW experts.

This is the best place to post it, as it's really a TSCT/traffic simulator issue.

QuoteMy question is that the RHW does not seem to have any maintenance cost attached to it.  I changed the value in TSCT from the default of $0.35 to $5.00, then went back in the game.  I dragged out multiple stretches of long RHW, and the total for monthly expenses did not change.

This is very interesting indeed; I have verified that what you say is true.  The game just ignores this number.

A little history might shed some light on what's going on here.  The RHW is based on the sole unused network in vanilla SC4 Deluxe.  Various comments indicate  that it was going to be a dirt road network, but it was never fully implemented.  However, enough of it was implemented so that it was possible to use it as the basis of the RHW.

Maxis left hooks for this network in most of the proper places, including the "Monthly cost for network tile" array in the traffic simulator.  In the original Maxis traffic simulator, this entry was set to zero.  When the RHW was implemented, it was set to 0.35.  When you change this value in the TSCT, the TSCT successfully changes it in the traffic simulator.

The only problem is that the game never looks at this number.  $%Grinno$%   It didn't have to in the released version, because it wasn't used.  And once the RHW was implemented, no one noticed that this number didn't do anything.  It's the executable program than manages these numbers, and since we neither have the source code nor are allowed to modify the executable, we cannot change the current behavior.

However, now that we know what the current behavior is, we should probably change the TSCT, the traffic simulator, and the documentation to reflect it.  I would suggest that the TSCT always show zero in this field, and have the whole control grayed out to make it clear that this cannot be changed.  I would fix the TSCT documentation to explain what's going on, and also fix the traffic simulator so that it shows zero in this field.  Stefan, how does that sound to you?

QuoteLooking at the details of the budget window, I do not even find a line for RHW.  Maybe there is some other Mod or a NAM or RHW option I missed during installation?

No, this is just a consequence of the fact that this cost factor was never fully implemented for this network.

Stefan79

Hi thethinker and any other Win98/ME user,

I've developed TSCT with Java 6 since beginning. But I've checked out, if it would run under Java 5 and I finally create a version for it.
Although Java 5 is not supported any longer, I can send you a TSCT-J5 special version for Java 5.
Please send me per PM your e-Mail address and I will send you the ZIP file (~740KB).

Regards,
Stefan
SSP = Stefan's Self-made Productions

thetinker

@Stefan,

A public "Thanks" for your timely response and courtesy. Runs perfectly, and I look forward to experimenting with it.  You are one of the good guys.

Jorge_Carrillo

I have a problem with the program, I open the TSCT and when I select any configuration and I need to save it in order to be applied then a message apears saying that  the TSCT was unable to modify the files because perhaps the SC$ was running, but it is not. What can I do?

vester

You don't have any other modding programs open ?

Try to restart the computer. Sometimes that "releases" the files.

APSMS

I too, have this problem; I'm not sure of the cause, because it didn't happen with the previous version, and it happens even if it is the first program I use after a restart.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

z

These problems that occur only in the most recent version of the TSCT are happening not because of any changes to the TSCT, but because the NAM Installer was changed to run in administrative mode in order to be able to install the 4GB patch.  As a result, the TSCT was installed while the installer was in administrative mode.  The solution for now is to run the TSCT in administrative mode when you need it.  A more permanent solution will be coming later.

kamuro

When you make changes the program gives an error (see image)
Here are the contents of the log file:
TSCT: Version: 1.3.5, Build: 1725, Simulator-Version: 2.6
Load templates...
>> Traffic template loaded.
>> VolumeView template loaded.
>> ZoneView template loaded.
Search for TS folder...
Check stored TS folder...
>> Folder does not exists!
Check User's NAM folder...
> C:\Users\Павел\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\Network Addon Mod
>> Set folder for TS!
>> Use TS folder: C:\Users\Павел\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\Network Addon Mod
>> Set Last path: C:\Users\Павел\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\Network Addon Mod
Search for other Simulator files...
> Search for other Traffic,Volume/ZoneDataView files...
>> No other Simulator files found!
Open Traffic file...
> Search for file beginning: NetworkAddonMod_Traffic_Plugin_Z
>> File found: C:\Users\Павел\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\Network Addon Mod\NetworkAddonMod_Traffic_Plugin_Z_Low_Custom.dat
File loaded!
>> Actual version of Simulator.
Open Volume DataView file...
> Search for file beginning: NetworkAddonMod_Volume_Data_View_Z
>> File found: C:\Users\Павел\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\Network Addon Mod\NetworkAddonMod_Volume_Data_View_Z_Low_Custom.dat
File loaded!
Open Zone DataView file...
> Search for file beginning: NetworkAddonMod_Zone_Data_View
>> File found: C:\Users\Павел\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\Network Addon Mod\NetworkAddonMod_Zone_Data_View.dat
File loaded!

z

Quote from: kamuro on August 08, 2016, 01:11:09 PM
When you make changes the program gives an error (see image)

In your main NAM folder, could you please list all files that begin "NetworkAddonMod_Traffic_Plugin_Z_" or "NetworkAddonMod_Volume_Data_View_Z_"?

Also, in your TSCT folder, is there a "backup" folder?  If so, what are its contents?

Finally, what is the version of the TSCT program that you are running?

Alan_Waters

А не может ли быть проблемы в пути, и того, что имя юзера в кириллице? Иногда это приводит к ошибкам.
It may be a problem in the way, and that the user name in the Cyrillic? Sometimes this leads to errors.  ()what()

z

Quote from: Alan_Waters on August 19, 2016, 08:40:05 AM
It may be a problem in the way, and that the user name in the Cyrillic? Sometimes this leads to errors.  ()what()

Yes, that seems to be a distinct possibility, especially since the log looked OK.

eagle74

I seem to have developed an issue with the TSCT by uninstalling & reinstalling the NAM.  There are two versions of the ...Traffic_Plugin_z & Volume_Data View_z in my main Nam folder.  I assume that there should only be one of each? 

Handyman

When I run the TSCT and select User's Guide, I get a dialog "Can't find the help file!".
I am running it in Wine on Linux. ()what()
Correction: I am running it directly on Linux.
Can anyone tell me where the User's Guide is supposed to be.

mgb204

As a workaround I'd just locate the HTML file from within the installation directory, it's the path of least resistance.

Quote from: eagle74 on July 10, 2017, 04:30:04 PM
I seem to have developed an issue with the TSCT by uninstalling & reinstalling the NAM.  There are two versions of the ...Traffic_Plugin_z & Volume_Data View_z in my main Nam folder.  I assume that there should only be one of each? 

If I were you, I'd re-run a custom NAM install and ensure "Run Cleanitol and Station Updater" is selected. Duplicate files is a sign that there might be other unwanted file around, doing this should ensure they are cleared out. Most likely this explains your controller problems too.

eagle74

OK, I reran the installer for a custom TSCT.  When the TSCT window popped up at the end I edited to high & saved.  The NAM folder has two Data Volume views, z_medium & z_high.  And there are two Traffic Plugins, z_medium & z_high_custom (same as before). 

So, I ran the installer a second time for a custom TSCT & did not make any changes in the TSCT at the end, & there are only the Data View z_medium & Traffic Plugin z_medium (no custom file).  Then, opened the TSCT & changed it to high & saved.  It created the new files Data View z_high & Traffic Plugin z_high_custom, but the two medium files are still there.  So, the installer is creating the medium files by default & does not save over them with custom changes.  They have to be removed manually.

Handyman

QuoteAs a workaround I'd just locate the HTML file from within the installation directory, it's the path of least resistance.

Sorry mgb204 I missed this before. I do not have any form of the file on my computer and I can't find it online. Any suggestions where I might find a copy?

mgb204

For me this is simply in the root of the install dir. Copy attached.

Handyman

Thanks mgb204, but I do have the Readme_TSCT.html file. Maybe I'm not asking the right question. I can't seem to find the User's Guide mentioned in the Readme.

Andreas

Looks like mgb204 mixed up the files somehow, attached is the actual user guide. :)
Andreas