• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Province of Clontarf - Update 10 - Elsmere

Started by tooheys, June 01, 2007, 08:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

Looking good, Dave! I love that train station in the one picture, where the tracks split and go around the station. I've never seen that one before. The parks and the residential areas look fantastic, too! Keep up the good work!

pipishere

Another great update! Well i look forward to seeing your big cities!...Keep these fab updates coming! :)

tooheys

Replies

bat: Thank's for dropping by. Appreciate the comments.

stewart_garden: Sorry about that, that's like calling a New South Welshman a Queenslander, not
something you want to do too often and remain healthy ;D. Thanks for the comments.

Russell: Thank's mate.

Jmouse: Hi Joan. You're right about the vendors. I'm afraid I already had the caption (good or bad) and
built to fit the plot. Thanks for dropping by,and so you don't have to wait too long there's some more
pic's below.

thundercrack83: Thank's Dustin. The station is one of my favourites. Have had a quick look but haven't been able
to find it on STEX where I'm sure I got it from. Will provide you with a link if I can later.

pipishere: Thank's, I'm still trying to work up the courage to start on the big stuff.

Riverwood

Riverwood was established a while back but hasn't featured yet. It has started out as an industrial area
but will diversify. The reason it hasn't made an appearance yet is that large industrial areas are far from my
favourite and in my eyes never look right. If you can think of a way to improve, no matter how small, please comment,
thanks.

What have we here, a secret BSC warehouse, well not really their logo is on the wall.
I wonder what amazing things are hidden inside. If I can get past security, I'll let
you know.

The large warehouse top left is generally empty. It's purpose, well it's used by the local university
for it's world record attempts in dominoe toppling.

In the opposite corner is the Pepsi factory. I've taken the taste challenge and would prefer.......

...my cola from here.

So that's that. Next update will look a bit prettier I hope.

Until next time

Cheers

Dave

jimmymac

Very nice, I especially like the industry in the latest update. Love the little port that goes with it, very nice. I will definately be looking forward to more  :thumbsup:

bat

You have show us a very great industrial area in your latest update, tooheys! :thumbsup:

stewart_garden

Dave: no worries mate.  Obviously my accent isn't that strong in the typing  ;D

I have always struggled with realistic industrial areas too.  Look forward to seeing this develop.

Stewart
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

thundercrack83

Your industries look great, Dave, though I know what you're saying about making industrial areas--I haven't been able to figure out something that looks right to me, either. If I could get mine to look half as good as yours, I'd be happy, though! The only thing that I would suggest is maybe build some smaller industries on the roads bordering the highways, so you can fill in some of the space next to the highways. Keep the billboards in there, too, like you have them, but if you filled in some of the spaces, it may give it a bit more of a dense look (if that's what you want). Just a suggestion!

Jmouse

Industry is a necessary evil, but it can actually be a very attractive addition to your city, depending on how you arrange things. And yours is not bad at all. Putting the industrial park on an island is a good idea, and one I might try. I think I'll use ferries, rail and maybe a seaport instead of highways, though.
Anyway, your region is coming along nicely and you've accumulated a rather impressive following.  :thumbsup:
Until next time ...

Joan

pipishere

Your update is great as usual. I think you have a good industrial area.....As thundercrack said place some smaller industrial units next to the roads and maybe fill any remaining areas with trees or grass tiles?! I do that to try to make it a little bit more aesthetically pleasing lol! :D

Russell

Terrific industrial area. Especially the sunken avenue and the harbour. Great work.  :thumbsup:

Snaper

Hello Tooheys,

I liked your update on Balnavia ... It is really well done with much details, particularly the last  :thumbsup: 

Your last update is very nice too

Bravo l'ami  &apls

tooheys

Replies

jimmymac: Thank's for dropping by and appreciate the comment.

bat: Great to see you again mate, glad you enjoy.

stewart_garden: Now I know you're Scottish, I can't understand a thing you type :P Good to see you
here as always. The trip must be close , so have a good flight. Cheers.

thundercrack83: Appreciate the feedback, I'll give that a try and next time we visit Riverwood I'll show some pic's to see
what everyone thinks. Thanks Dustin.

Jmouse: Thanks Joan, they're not a bad bunch of followers are they. I appreciate every one of them. I'm just glad they don't all
ask as many questions as you  :P (you know I'm only kidding, right? /wrrd%&)

pipishere: Thanks pipishere, I'm going to give that a try and see how it works out.

Russell: Thankyou muchly. Good to see you again.

Snaper:   Appreciate the comments Snaper, glad you enjoy and hope to see you back.

Turella

Well at the end of the last update I promised something a bit prettier. As things have turned out, the next area
I am ready to show is hardly in that category. Turella has a long way to go, but the first development is that of the
army base for the Balnavian 1st Airborne. So here is a few pic's, hope you enjoy.

Ammunition bunkers, wrong! These are actually latrines. Given the poor defense budget, rations still include
WW2 "C" Rations. They do terrible things to the digestive system and, well, light a match at an inoppurtune
moment and BANG.

The best Foxtel Digital reception in the area.

No, it's not a Japanese game show, it's the army's obstacle course.

Around the outside of the camp is the running trail. And what's a good run without a
good cadence:

We're elite, we'll beat the rest
Defend Balnavia, we're the best
If you attack, we won't miss
Especially if you fight for Bliss
Sound off 1,2..1,2.3,4

Just a quick thankyou to all that have commented. I am really excited that I have exceeded
50 postings to date. Thank's to everyone who has dropped by. It is appreciated and keeps me wanting
to produce more. I hope I can keep you all interested, but if you think I'm slacking off make sure you
let me know.

Until next time

Cheers

Dave

bat

A wonderful military-area! Great work! :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

Excellent military complex, Dave! It looks quite realistic!

QuoteAmmunition bunkers, wrong! These are actually latrines. Given the poor defense budget, rations still include
WW2 "C" Rations. They do terrible things to the digestive system and, well, light a match at an inoppurtune
moment and BANG.

This could account for some much needed firepower, especially if the defense budget is poor!

Jmouse

Well, when I saw today's update I thought "Poor Dave, he's lost it!" I tend to scroll quickly through the photos first, though, then go back, read the captions and study the pics at a more leisurely pace.
So when I discovered it was a military installation, things began to make sense. The base is very "stiff" and orderly just as it should be. I think you are wise to mix in a few elements which aren't exactly gorgeous but add a thoughtful touch of realism. The pretty stuff is great, but it can get to be like too much candy and lose it's effectiveness.
And speaking of questions  :D, it's been 10 days since I saw any traffic data, so don't you think it's about time for some? How are traffic and the subway system working out in the Quay?
See you next time ...

Joan

pipishere

A very nice update. The base is very well set out and looks quite realistic...well i've never actually been to a military base but it's what i imagine one to look like lol!  :D

Nardo69

Nice idea with the bassin (including the background story!) I do like how you connected the kanal to the water; these transitions are always hard to do!  :thumbsup:

BTW: What's that building on the last pic of the "Bassin" - update next to the kana connection to the sea and the roundabout?

Bardwell Park:
It is amayzing how those ingame big parks fit into these workers houses.  :)
What I didn't like are those flat rural walls. IRL retaining walls are rather steep. Within the limitations of the game's tiles the slope should be at least 45 degree / 1:1 for such a wall. I would suppose some grass lots with fences there.
The large diagonal elements is a nice element (ofc course connected with a nice story ...)
Hey, that Gas Power Plant is not thaaaaat dirty ... if it was a (old american) coal power plant, okay, but even modern european brown coal plants are not that dirty ...  &Thk/(

Roverwood
Not that bad ... I thought like you untill I discovered that the secret(s) of nice industrial areas are:

- zoning certain lotsizes with the CTRL - key and NOT taxing out I-D.  Nice ones are 3+3+ 4+3, 4*3 for ingame and the size of cutom lots
- add some "normal" close to them
- leave spaces for some green. This way the pollution don't get too bad, too
- goo railway connections plus maybe a nice big railyard
- not everywhere roads - grey streets are okay for small access roads
- not too much grid

and a lot of try and error ...

The army
yoah, not too bad ... I just don't like to much miltray semiconductor holographic intermitting transceivers ...
there's enough war becaude of stupid persons on this small blue marble we live on ...

take care and make backups!

Bernhard   :thumbsup:

tooheys

Replies

Bat: Thanks Bat, there's a spare bunk or two if you want to enlist.

thundercrack83: Yeah, 60 year old beans, nasty  :D Sorry, but I couldn't find the
link to the railway station. It was of the STEX but I can't find it now. If anyone can help, help.

Jmouse: Hello Joan. Thanks for the comments. I've been working on the rest of the Turella tile
and I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see the final outcome /wrrd%& I've actually got three
tiles in development at the moment and will have a few updates over the next week.
Promise to include some stats and traffic info. ;D. Traffic in the quay hasn't changed too much, I've opened
the city a few times to allow some growth but things seem to be holding together. The subway is still keeping
enough sims off the road.

pipishere: Realistic in an imaginary sense, good enough for me  :D

Nardo69: Hi Bernhard, good to see you again. Firstly, is this the building you're talking about:

The grey one on the waterfront? If so, that is part of PEG's CDK lots which are available on both the
STEX and PLEX.

Thanks for the suggestions especially regarding the industrial. Comments noted re the retaining walls.
I have tried some alternatives as you suggested, which will show in some upcoming updates.

QuoteI just don't like to much miltray semiconductor holographic intermitting transceivers
You don't like what?? If you mean the satellite dishes, I told you they're only for Foxtel  ::)

tooheys

The Region So Far

Current regional population

Residential:  106,858
Commercial:  40,861
Industrial:     28,846

Turella

Since our recent visit to the military base, the surrounding community has grown.

Town is home to dependants of the servicemen, and the services that the single servicemen are dependant on.

No need for alarm clocks in this town. The sound of Revelry from the base wakes everyone
up at dawn. The army has made one concession, the volume is turned down
on Sundays.

The bridge leads to a small industrial area and is the only road link to a couple of small islands to the west.

Here's the local mail exchange. Need it there absolutely overnight, guaranteed. Well use a courier.
Mike "the Snail' Smith, manager of local postal services has refused to comment on the poor
mail service.

Traffic in town, not a problem. But make sure you look left and right before entering an intersection.
Tanks don't stop too quickly.

So that's the last of Turella for a while. Next back to the undustrial town of Riverwood
and it's growing residential population.

Jmouse

My goodness, that's an impressive growth rate you have going there. In two short weeks, Balnavia's population has grown from 33M and change to nearly 107M. And traffic problems seem to be under control.
I like the beaches in your latest update -- different from what I'm used to, but reminiscent of Aussie coastlines I've seen in photos. Do you live near the coast or inland? I lived within 70 miles of the Gulf of Mexico for more than 40 years. We had jetties made of huge rocks, but the beaches themselves were sand backed up by dunes sprouting salt grass.
Anyway, nice update, great photos and full of it as always (a good sense of humor, that is)  :thumbsup:.

Joan

FYI, when I scrolled back through the MD tonight to verify data, I saw several imageshack messages indicating photos no longer existed or could not be found. Recommend you check back through the posts. I could be just my own system playing tricks on me again, but would be worth a look.