• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW Regional Transport Map support thread

Started by jondor, August 02, 2010, 06:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas

Interesting work indeed! I'd say you shouldn't use an existing LTEXT file, but create a new one with a unique ID for your new label. For looking up the "Monorail" label in other languages, you could open the different Locale files and search for the ID of that LTEXT file with the Monorail hover query (in case you have a SimCity version that offers several languages).
Andreas

Paul 999

I don't like the colors. I think that a red color for highways and a gray color for other roads good enough be.

jondor

I can tell already that the issue of the network colors is going to be hotly contested.  I realize bright red is traditional for highways on most maps.  However, I am limited by the functionality of this workaround and the aesthetics of the unavoidable visual glitches I cannot get rid of.

I originally chose black for the highways because it made color correcting much simpler (see the last image of my first post).  Once I made more discoveries, I stuck with black because the visual glitches are less noticeable that way.  If the highways are red, diagonal roads and streets will also show up with red halos (I have to be to work soon, but I'll create a sample image this evening so you can see).

Minimizing the number of support requests over these glitches is my primary goal since the glitches themselves cannot be fixed.  The colors I've chosen do that in my opinion.

EDIT:

I swapped the highways back to red and rail back to black.  You can see that all of the diagonal surface road networks have red halos, including the streets.  Compare to the black highways above.  The diagonals are still visible, but less noticeable.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

travismking

im really hoping you can work out these bugs and release this to us :D Cant wait :)

jondor

As usual, the bugs are the result of the game itself and we'll just have to live with them.

All I need now is time (which I have very little of for the next several weeks, unfortunately) and a few more translations (wink wink nudge nudge)
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

jondor

Sorry to let this stagnate, it's been a busy few weeks.

I've finally had time to add all the translations that have been submitted in the other thread.  And as soon as I get a readme file written, I'll be able to package it up and release it into the wild.  No guarantees on a time frame, but I will try to get it done as soon as possible!

travismking

yunxiang

Hi jondor, this looks really amazing! I too cannot wait for this to be released. I have one request though, if you're willing:

Tropod a very long time ago released a transportation map modd which, in addition to separating monorail from el-rail and avenue from roads, also displayed the RCI zones on the transportation map. It is located at this link on the STEX. There's also one by theJerseyDevil Here that does the same thing (but clearer).
I find the ability to see the RCI zones very useful in planning out my regions, and am wondering if you be willing to include this functionality in your mod at some point.

jondor

Quote from: yunxiang on September 13, 2010, 04:41:28 PM
Hi jondor, this looks really amazing! I too cannot wait for this to be released. I have one request though, if you're willing:

Tropod a very long time ago released a transportation map modd which, in addition to separating monorail from el-rail and avenue from roads, also displayed the RCI zones on the transportation map. It is located at this link on the STEX. There's also one by theJerseyDevil Here that does the same thing (but clearer).
I find the ability to see the RCI zones very useful in planning out my regions, and am wondering if you be willing to include this functionality in your mod at some point.

I took a look at that mod and it may be possible to integrate them.  I will have to test it first, and get permission of course, if the test is successful.

travismking

i use edmonton's transit map, is great and shows zones, but this one will definitly have to overwrite it when its released cuz being able to see RHW is pretty awesome

editfish

This is exciting.  I've been bothered by this issue for a long time and encouraged to see that you've got a reasonable workaround.   &apls  :thumbsup:

dyoungyn

I agree 110%  &hlp  I have been avoiding to use RHW for this very reason that I cannot see it in the region view.   This is great news to know taht someone has finally cracked the code and we will be able to see RHW.  I really want to use to make all these AWESOME &apls  interchanges, but again hesitant.

dyoungyn

samerton

jondor

Okay guys!  It's been a while and work has been tough, but it's finally here!

http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=24992

Enjoy! :)

figui

just downloaded, trying it immediately  :thumbsup:

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

jondor

Let me know how it turns out.  :thumbsup:

(And anyone else too.)

figui

it's awesome! thank you.

just a question: is it possible to add a "parks" or "green area" label in the legend?
i really like the way it is now, by the way..

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..

________

jondor

Aside from needing to collect translations, it would be relatively trivial.  A small edit of the png background of the legend and add another line of text.

figui

ok, and now it turns into just a suggestion.. (as i'm not skilled enough to edit this kind of things)  ::)

mauricio.

________

samerton