• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

High Definition Props and Textures - Discussion thread

Started by mightygoose, March 28, 2009, 01:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightygoose

OK, today is a good day, after alot of hurried checking of numbers and testing we have something rather tasty for you all... (we being me, buddybud and some help from ripplejet)

EA it seems gave us another tool for making custom content but hid it very well... in a basketball game...[linkie].
What use is this you say, well it allows you to create fsh files direct from photoshop files and will detect the transparency  and create its alpha map automatically. Now so far we have only done overlay textures. But we have learned the limits of what we can do. Zoom 1-4 will only accept standard sized fsh files... ie 64x64, 32x32, 16x16 & 8x8. But for zoom 5 it will accept bigger.... So far we have tested with 256x256, TWICE the resolution of existing overlays....

This process can also be used for transit models....

I believe we are the first to discover this process and an initial tutorial will follow this post, from buddybud.
As a side note, the fact it only works at zoom 5 is a blessing in disguise as it means that your graphics card won't be eaten alive by rendering all those textures at zooms 1-4.

Oh and for comparison....

HD texture on the left, standard texture on the right....

Very early stages yet, lots more development to come.
But yeah, Hi def textures, twice the resolution, twice the fun...

Mightygoose...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

RippleJet

Quote from: mightygoose on March 28, 2009, 01:38:50 PM
HD texture on the left, standard texture on the right….

The difference is rather remarkable! :)

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

mightygoose

mike3775

Damn you guys are making it nearly impossible for me to ever play any other game on my PC  :P

Jonathan

Great find!!

So is it just a 256x256 or is there some mysterious setting that needs to be changed as well?

Jonathan

Swamper77

I've known about the use of 256x256 textures on transit/automata models for quite awhile, but I wasn't aware that they could be used for network textures, such as shadows. Most of my models are done with 256x256 skins. Only my older stuff was done with 128x128 skins, which is how Maxis did theirs and I was only doing reskins at that time.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

SimNation

Those rail textures look fantastic......I am almost at a loss of words. This will be interesting to see what comes of the tutorial within the next coming months. First Goobers animated props...and now this. Lovely work

buddybud

Quotebut I wasn't aware that they could be used for network textures, such as shadows.

hey swamper we haven't tried with shadows yet but i'm willing to guess at this point :P

Bud.

TheTeaCat

Oh my word. What an amazing discovery.  &apls &apls
the difference is just amazing :thumbsup:

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Tarkus

This is quite the discovery indeed!  I knew the Graphics Editor could handle importing uncompressed textures, but actual higher resolution textures--this is very impressive!  The improvement is absolutely remarkable--thank you for sharing this great find!

-Alex

Haljackey

Very impressive!  I'll be following this development to see what else you guys can do with these new HD Textures!

For a 6 year old game, it is amazing to see that the graphics can still be compared to modern games.  Well done!

mightygoose

tarkus, i think you'll find your textures need an overhaul.... :P

cameron1991

That's a great discovery!
But with higher resolutions comes larger file sizes right? So will this impact performance much?

wouanagaine

Great findings guys !

I hope dedgren will redo all textures once again to put them in HD :) ( I'm kidding David )

Just so you know, FSH can handle up to 65536x65536 texture , I hope however that no one will make such a big texture

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Jonathan

I love that road texture btw!!!!
You must make it into a mod

If a texture was made 255x255, would that eliminate the 1 pixel shift bug?

Jonathan

Andreas

Interesting find. :) However, does it work properly in Software Mode? Quite a few people have to use it because of driver problems and the like, and so far, extra large textures often caused problems (the red-green-blue checkerboard pattern).
Andreas

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

buddybud

ya i realize there could be all kinds of implications good and bad but it's so easy to do it's worth exploring and letting others experiment

Cheers....

Blue Lightning

Wow, I can't wait to see this implemented into new and maybe existing mods. This is an extrodianry find. :thumbsup:

Wow,
Vince
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project