• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Heightmap/Texture test

Started by croxis, December 02, 2009, 09:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

croxis

I've been prototyping the terrain engine code to figure out how to get it to work. The terrain system was easy (yay prebuilt classes!) however figuring out how to texture the bloody thing has been difficult. I finally got a base texture (which does not look good, just warning you). Next step will be attempting to splat the other textures on. My prototype will have the base texture, beach, rock, and snow.

tomkeus

I think we will have to ditch geomipmaping and go for paged terrain with reusable index buffers. It will save a lot of performance.

But before that we will have to discuss which game engine to use. Otherwise this is completely pointless.
#define TRUE FALSE /*Happy debugging suckers*/

croxis

Been learning a bit on shaders. I think I might of made some progress.

Now, let's get this game made!

Nique

Proudly developer of

nerdly_dood

That last one looks really realistic! Great job! Just add a different sky and it'd be great.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

JoeST

yes thankyou very much Croxis :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Djohaal

For the sky, I think we could use a real sky model implementation, instead of pimpy gradients. It'll depend on which engine we are going to use though. If it supported HDR rendering, a real sky would be cake.

croxis

Right now there is no sky, that is just the default grey background in the 3d engine. I can change it to purple though :P

The next trick is going to try and represent the tiles to buy the city limits.