• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Design Document

Started by Nique, August 31, 2009, 10:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sithlrd98

Hope I'm not too late to give a hand!

Jayson

Nique

Quote from: sithlrd98 on September 02, 2009, 01:56:39 PM
Hope I'm not too late to give a hand!

Jayson
Thank you
I think your way is the best (because it's your native language).
I'm sorry i can't write the document  in good english but with the help of you guys it will look more serious.. because it's worth to be taken serious.

Proudly developer of

croxis

Nique

If you guys want to change anything or add new parts, go ahead. I want this document being finished so that we can start with the big work soon. (don't forget about the roadmap).

As writing documents is not my best skill, i can only describe in wrong grammar what i want to put there :P

Anyway:
The WIKI is the BEST place to do it. Don't use Word / pdf, i did this because it was just easy for me. The final version will be also written in a downloadable binary file like doc or pdf. *Using wiki on the github, we can change things without losing the original or other versions of the document.
Proudly developer of

Korot

Quote from: Nique on September 02, 2009, 02:06:08 PM
Thank you
I think your way is the best (because it's your native language).
I'm sorry I can't write the document  in good english but with the help of you guys it will look more serious.. because it's worth to be taken serious.

Despite it being Sithlrd98's native language, I still find errors in his version. For example, I was always told that a ',' should go before 'that', that player isn't plural.
The sentence: "This game will make use of full 3d models to place, but render the graphics once the player places the object at the desired angle." Still looks weird to me, as you place something on a certain location, not on an angle and a couple of other, similar, problems.

Regards,
Korot

Edit (sort off): Nique, could you provide the link to the wiki?

Nique

Proudly developer of

sithlrd98

I mainly kept the original context of what was being said . I wanted to change the wording , but keep as much of the original intact. Hey, just because I can speak it , read it and write it , doesn't mean I'm a master of it!  ;D

Jayson

Nique

Lol,

I really hate that texttile thing.. i can't make-up the text right.
Proudly developer of

tomkeus

Quote from: Nique on September 02, 2009, 02:09:43 PM
I want this document being finished so that we can start with the big work soon. (don't forget about the roadmap).

Don't rush. The more we pay attention now, easier out lives are gonna get later.
#define TRUE FALSE /*Happy debugging suckers*/

Nique

Quote from: tomkeus on September 02, 2009, 02:57:25 PM
Don't rush. The more we pay attention now, easier out lives are gonna get later.

I don't want to rush it (i never rush) but at least, i wanted to make a start  ;)
Proudly developer of

Nique

Proudly developer of

croxis

I think we need to be careful about calling it a sc4 clone.  SC4 seems like a major inspiration, but we will not be copying sc4 exactly.  Also I am not sure I like the word credits.  I am positive we could come up with a cute, humorous name.  We could also copy what OpenTTD and have the player select which currency they want to use, and the game will adjust exchange rates accordingly.  (based on a predefined table that approximates the ratios, not the real life day-to day exchange rates)

Other than some wording, everything looks good!

Nique

Quote from: croxis on September 03, 2009, 12:52:42 PM
I think we need to be careful about calling it a sc4 clone.  SC4 seems like a major inspiration, but we will not be copying sc4 exactly.  Also I am not sure I like the word credits.  I am positive we could come up with a cute, humorous name.  We could also copy what OpenTTD and have the player select which currency they want to use, and the game will adjust exchange rates accordingly.  (based on a predefined table that approximates the ratios, not the real life day-to day exchange rates)

Other than some wording, everything looks good!

See the * note on the bottom of that list
Proudly developer of

croxis

I swear that wasn't in before!  ;D

Nique

Quote from: croxis on September 03, 2009, 01:07:15 PM
I swear that wasn't in before!  ;D

It was, but maybe badly formulated. i changed just one word... instead of value i wrote 'name'.
Proudly developer of

Nique

If you want to add/modify something to the document, please contact me or post a new reply on this topic.

I want to have croxis and tomkeus also moderators of these forums as they have a lot of input and are serious also about this game.
Proudly developer of

croxis

Game speed logic is already added.  The server framework is event driven, so the spinner will send out a blank "tick" event periodicy. Right now Slow is set to 1 a second, medium 2, and fast 3.   I figure each tick would represent a game day.  Some other part of the program will listen, properly count the ticks depending on the month, and send out an event for AdvanceOneMonth() at the appropriate time.

tomkeus

Quote from: croxis on September 03, 2009, 08:53:42 PM
Game speed logic is already added.  The server framework is event driven, so the spinner will send out a blank "tick" event periodicy. Right now Slow is set to 1 a second, medium 2, and fast 3.   I figure each tick would represent a game day.  Some other part of the program will listen, properly count the ticks depending on the month, and send out an event for AdvanceOneMonth() at the appropriate time.

Just to add a few details, to make sure there are no misunderstandings.

Game speed should be handled by clients not by server. Simulator has no concept of time. It just queues instructions, at AdvanceOneMonth() he executes them and once it's done it waits for new instructions. Game speeds should be implemented within GUI. Game speed will only determine interval between consecutive AdvanceOneMonth() calls by GUI.

tomkeus

croxis:

will you implement queuing?

We need to be able to queue instructions while server is busy performing simulation.

croxis

Having the clients determine the simulation speed, and having the server have no concept of it, is a terrible design decision imho.  But I guess I'll do it anyways because I don't have a sufficient argument not to.