• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

JMyers Rural Retreat and Small Shops

Started by jmyers2043, February 22, 2007, 06:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmyers2043

I tried three times to make a post in the South African BSC forums but the site was having issues. So I'll make the post here.

The three hydroponic greenhouses at the bottom of this post were done January. Their release was delayed for two reasons.

First I wanted to publish a fourth design. I recently got an idea and the building below was born. It is called Sunrise Hydroponics. I've been struggling getting the lights and the transparency of the glass correct. This is pretty close to the other greenhouses further down. The darn thing takes 1 ½ hours to render. This is because of the foliage in the hydroponic beds. This one is the largest of the four. The building offers 37 jobs at 75% fill. . . when the lot tiles are added the jobs offered will be in the range of 75 plus or minus which makes it a stage 3. Anyone see anything needing more work???

Sunrise Hydroponics. The fourth and last desing which I am still tinkering with.

The second reason for the delay is because I wanted to make these farm buildings slope friendly and it took a while for me to master (if you want to call it that) foundations that looked interesting. The pictures below show how the foundations have come out. All have a mossy cement block foundation. The moss appears about 3 meters below ground level. The foundation is only 7 meters deep and that will determine the minimum slope which the lot grows.

Chemiculture. I suppose because of the chemicals/nutrients used in hydroponic farming.

Microgreen. No particular reason for the name. Other than is sounds earth friendly. 

Euro-Fresh. I suppose because it is my impression that Eruopeans eat healthier than I do.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

flame1396

Seriously cool stuff here. Finally farms I'll use other than the maxis ones.
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

Zaphod

nice!

I like the metal beams on the chemculture one in particular, with the circular holes. because of the "fun" design of these, maybe there is more than just farm use for players. Like some sort of strange experimentation facility that involves plant-like aliens. Lol, just messing around :D
War Kittens !?

zero7

The greenhouses look excellent.  Zaphod is right about them lending themselves to other uses.  With them being metal and glass and of strong geometric design I can see them being very popular in science fiction themed MD/CJs.
Call me Richard

Andreas

I must admit that I don't really like such high-tech farms, and from an engineering point of view, I doubt that you're able to use such large glass (or plexiglass) panes without structural support. The third pic looks most realistic of those, because using triangles for a dome structure is a common practise. Anyway, it certainly has a "looking cool" effect, and I'd say those would be some great models for the SimMars team. :) If you want to get the glass transparency (black glass) issue fixed, just provide me with the models.
Andreas

jmyers2043

I think that the Z brothers (Zaphod and Zero) articulated what I felt deep inside but could not put my finger on.

The plan of action will be ...

1. Euro Fresh (once I get more window support frames in place) and Microgreen will be the only high tech stage three farms released.
2. I'll re-skin the other two and try to make them look like Hi-Tech Industry ... oh ... such as  ... biochemical or something like that.
3. Andreas! I am going to take you up on your offer.

Thanks for the feedback.

ScottFTL

These are stunning!   :thumbsup:  I especially like Sunrise Hydroponics.

I think the idea for an IHT version is excellent.  It would provide some much-needed variety in that category.

Would you consider making lots for a CAM version as well?  I think these would make excellent stage 5 farms - and I think there has only been a handful of stage 5 farms released to date.

I've loved all of your releases.  Your farms and small shops are staples in my cities.  Thanks for all the great contributions.

--Scott

RippleJet

Quote from: ScottFTL on October 19, 2007, 11:38:01 AM
Would you consider making lots for a CAM version as well?  I think these would make excellent stage 5 farms - and I think there has only been a handful of stage 5 farms released to date.

I agree on that request!
These are the type of farms that stage 5 was intended for! :thumbsup:

Even if the occupancy wouldn't come up to the levels required for stage 5 by the "X" Tool, it wouldn't be too diffficult to get it up to a stage 4 level (90 jobs instead of 75), and then add the allowed extra stage to make them stage 5.

I also think all four of them should be stage 5, regardless of their occupancy...
Since farms won't upgrade, their occupancy vs. stage isn't that important, just guidelines! :)

CabraBuitre

These look awesome JMyers!  I loved your older lots, and these are an improvement in realism!  I can't say that I've ever seen the high-tech looking farms, but I think they certainly would fit in quite well with Peg's recent skyfarm lots.

That barn in the OLeary lot is just exquisite!

Check out Abelfarei!

greenbelt

&apls  &apls  &aplsI just downloaded the prop file from LEX.  Can't wait, Can't wait!!!!!

jacqulina

wonderfull work my friend,
and how have you been. &apls &apls

Bluebeard

JM,
  According to your description your latest Farms are CAM but not for Rush Hour.So how do play SC without Rush Hour?.Thanx

jmyers2043

Hello BlueBeard - I've changed the description on the download page so that it is clearer. The farms are stage 5. Rush Hour and Deluxe do not recognize stage 5 farming. The lots will only grow if you have the CAM.

You can change the farms to grow at stage 3 if you don't have the CAM and if you are somewhat adept at modding. In that event they will grow fine.

Bluebeard

jmyers2043

Alrighty - I'm taking a short break from farms and am doing some small dirty industrials.

1X1 lot with 15 or so jobs. Grows as a stage 2. There are three shack variations. I have no name for this one yet. Perhaps someone has more imagination that I do and will make a suggetsion? 

1X2 lot with 37 jobs. Grows as a stage 4. This one I think will be called 'Liquiform Inc.'

Bluebeard

The Industries looks awesome but I really hope you get your green thumb back. :thumbsup:

Sim Shady

High5Tower

Thank you tackling the problem of small randomly placed industrials. I like having the little lots around but it takes a lot of editing (bulldozing) to make your area look somewhat real. With your skills I am looking forward to many new lots that will enhance the industrial complex. Can't wait! &apls

Fledgeling

I love I-D! Thanks, these are so underrepresented. Thanks!  &apls

ky72x

Excellent work on those industrials! &apls Always great to see a new industrial creation.  ;D

I've been having a problem installing your recent dairy farms.  It downloads and unzips fine, but I try to install it and nothing installs.  No files, just nothing.  Looking in the comments, no one has mentioned this, so it might be my computer.  Thanks for the reply. 

- Kyle

EDIT: Hmm, I think I may have found out how the lots are installed.  Do the files get morphed with the DAT files "JFMFarmsVol01 and 02?" Correct me if I'm wrong.