• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

c.p.'s BAT and Lot Workshop

Started by c.p., November 23, 2012, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankU

Hmmm well, It's not my style to be negative about such a beautiful project, but my personal opinion is that I fear that my own farm fields project is getting outdated now by your fabulous work. And you might understand that that does not feel too funny.  :'(

On the other hand, some of your fields are really stunning, the paths (overlay textures?) are very good, but some others, like the wheat, the corn and the flower fields I do not like as much as the other ones. So there we might complement each other.
The gooseberries, the olives and most tree farms are fantastic!
The houses and other buildings are great too, but not really my style, but I am certain they will be of great use to others.
The FAR buildings are beautiful too. There should be more of them indeed.

It's great to see you back!

mattb325

I'm really pleased you are back.

Each and every picture is amazing and I have been admiring them for hours. Some of your farm lots (not the fields) are very large - are they difficult to grow at that size? I must say, the effect of having the farm house so far down the drive is brilliantly realistic  &apls

c.p.

Thanks vortex, Matthijs, Willy, noahclem, Air6, whatevermind, FrankU, and Matt!  :)

FrankU: Other than possibly the corn, wheat, and maybe olives(?), I can't imagine there will much overlap between my farm fields and yours.  The other fields I'm making are mostly very non-traditional, such as sumac, alder, willow, dates, coconuts, saguaro cactus, sagebrush, etc.  (If you were to tell someone in real life you were starting a sagebrush farm, they would either think you were joking or completely crazy, which is of course part of the fun of it. ;D )  And even if there are a few overlaps, so what?  For example, I'm certainly not giving up any of JMeyers corn farms, just because I made my own corn farm.  In fact, the reason it took so long to grow some of the farms I showed in this thread is because I still have all of JMeyers' farms installed, (along with some of the other BSC farms.)  There is nothing "outdated" about them in any way.  The more variety the better, in my opinion.  The same would be true of your farms.  As you said, they complement one another.  :)

Matt: the bigger farms are 5x15 (gooseberry) and 12x3 (corn).  Obviously you have to zone big enough, but otherwise, the only thing that makes them somewhat hard to grow is the fact that they have a lot of competition from other farms in my plugins.

mrbisonm

Quote from: FrankU on November 25, 2012, 12:12:57 PM
Hmmm well, It's not my style to be negative about such a beautiful project, but my personal opinion is that I fear that my own farm fields project is getting outdated now by your fabulous work. And you might understand that that does not feel too funny.  :'(

On the other hand, some of your fields are really stunning, the paths (overlay textures?) are very good, but some others, like the wheat, the corn and the flower fields I do not like as much as the other ones. So there we might complement each other.
The gooseberries, the olives and most tree farms are fantastic!
The houses and other buildings are great too, but not really my style, but I am certain they will be of great use to others.
The FAR buildings are beautiful too. There should be more of them indeed.

It's great to see you back!

Although cp's farms and fields will be great, but our farms will be totally different, no need to worry, FrankU, because ours will be just as great. Btw, I will be back on the project by next week (weekend), working on sheds, machinery and silos at this moment. ;)

Great stuff cp. just one thing though if I may mention with all respect, I think some of the (lot)textures are a little "too clean",some I said, don't you think so? Farms are usually a little to much messy, even when taken care of. I know, I own one. ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

jmyers2043

Quote from: mattb325 on November 25, 2012, 01:03:01 PM
... Some of your farm lots (not the fields) are very large - are they difficult to grow at that size? ...

One farm in my game called CSX Hopeless is a 8X6 and grows like a weed. Every farm I am making these days for my game is at least that size so there will be some competition. I did have a problem with one 'beta' farm. I recall making it 4X10 and it didn't grow at all. I think the problem for me was the slope requirement. My two cents.

- Jim
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

io_bg

Oh wow! It's fantastic to have you back. Looking at all these awesome pics made me feel like a child in a toy shop - I want everything! $%Grinno$% ;D
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

FrankU

Hi C.P.,

That is true: most of your farms are very different. It's just that my project is such a large one that it takes a lot of time. In the meantime people like the TSC guys make a large amount of beautiful farming machinery, come up with wheatfields etc... And now you. I sometimes are afraid that I have to update my project with many new props (and dependencies) so that the set is a bit up to date with the newest beautiful props avaliable. Instead of the old well known Simgoober and Gascooker stuff.

But of course: there will be a lot of new props by Fred/mrbisonm in my farms that nobody has used until then.

Your farms look very good, but have indeed not much overlap with mine. My set tries to give a feel of Dutch farming style, while yours is aimed at a totally different goal.

Simcoug

The new commercial BATs will be much appreciated - it can be tough to find smaller Commercial buildings that fit in with the 19th century theme.  And the farms look great - I would never have thought to create 'tree' farms such as maple, aspen, etc.  These will even more variety to our farm landscapes.

Your new dirt path overlay textures look beautiful too - they are especially good at breaking up the grid. 

threestooges

You really know how to make a post. Everything looks wonderful, and has already given me inspiration for what to do when they're released.

As for the tree trouble, I imagine they're missing in all 4 rotations?
-Matt

blade2k5

CP, first of all, welcome back old friend.  Secondly, Oh My!  Me eyes must be playing tricks on me because I'm having a difficult time believing what I'm seeing.  I've been patiently waiting and hoping someone would create a new set of farms like those in this thread.  I've always wondered why there weren't corn fields and the others you have shown here, but now I don't have to wonder anymore.  Simply jaw-dropping work :thumbsup:   I like the clean(er) look of them as I have different farm sets from different creators and most of those have the look mrbisonm mentioned earlier.

Quote from: FrankU on November 26, 2012, 02:38:59 AM
My set tries to give a feel of Dutch farming style, while yours is aimed at a totally different goal.

I look forward to those. :thumbsup:

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

Gobias

Wow!  Beautiful work going on here!  C.P. I love and hate you at once:  I just got finished reworking all of my 19th and early 20th century bats collected into a well-tuned growable set of New York/New England styled architecture and of course your 19thC packs are a huge part of that set.  It looks like just when I finished that project I'm going to have to make way for some stunning new additions!  Can't wait to add this material to my game.

c.p.

It's amazing how fast 6 months can go by. :o
I just thought I'd stop by to say that I'm still working on this project (in a very on-again, off-again way), and to give a sort of progress report. :)

First, I did some experimenting with abandoned buildings in-game, and was pretty happy with the results, so now I'm making abandoned versions of all my new buildings.  I have about half of them abandonized so far.
Here are a couple pics to show how the abandoned buildings look in-game:

To give the lots a somewhat more abandoned look, I'll also need to re-mod a bunch of props to disappear when the lot abandons (for example, cars and umbrella tables). 

Second, I made a few new commercial buildings.  Here are some in-game shots:
First, Moby Inn, a Cs$$ corner commercial building.  This building is approx. 2 tiles deep, but there is also a 3 tile deep version:

This (Loomis Linen Shoppe) is two identical lots that grew next to each other, (which means I need to make more buildings at this stage/lot size).  The front part of the building (next to the street) is a separate model from the back part of the building.  Depending on the slope of the lot, the back part of the building can slide up and down against the front:

Also, at a higher stage, the building appears with a larger rear section, so the building pretty much fills up a 1x3 lot:

A few smallish, medium wealth commercial buildings (Sprout's Sandwich Shop, Brownie's Biscuit Bar, and Pastry Palaces, Inc.):

Most of the buildings in this set have so far been "Greek Revival" style.  For better variety (and because I'm getting bored with Greek Revival), I've decided to add into the mix two other styles that were popular at roughly the same time as Greek Revival: "Italianate" and "Gothic Revival".  With that in mind, here are some "Italianate" buildings I made recently.  They are all R$$ multifamily buildings, (except for one commercial building).  "Baleen" and "Signori" are duplexes.  One new thing I've done with these, (in addition to making an "abandoned" version), is to make matching garages for each building.  (There are more garages than what I am showing here).  I haven't made the foundations for any of these yet, or brought them into the game at all.  Those are projects for another day/season.

On the SCILT front, I made new texture sets for all of Gobias' sidewalk mods.  But now, with the release of the new NAM, I've decided it would be cool to have a bunch of small, offset walkway models included with the SCILT textures.  These would connect the ploppable FAR/diagonal buildings to the FAR/diagonal roads (if that makes sense).  So I'm holding off doing anything with the SCILT until I've made those models, and tried that out.

On the tree controller front, I've done exactly nothing in the past 6 months ::), but I'll return to that eventually.  (I've put a huge amount of work into it already, so it's not something I'm going to be giving up on.)

Thanks to Fred, Jim, io_bg, FrankU, SimCoug, Matt, Blade2k5, and Gobias for you comments (6 months ago!)
Realistically, it will probably be another 6 months before my next major update, (unless we have a very rainy spring/summer).  But by November I expect to be hard at work on this project again.

vortext

Great to see you're still at it!  :thumbsup:

Making abandoned models is a nice touch, finally we can have nice, dilapidated neighborhoods!  :D

The new commercials look great too and I quite like the Italianate style, especially the Bulkington with smooth plaster, hope to see more of those! 

Alright, see you again in December!  ;)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Swordmaster

Great, looks all great. I would prefer you release something one day, but hey, even looking at these pictures is a treat for us.

Cheers
Willy

Simcoug

I'm not one to wish for rainy summers... but...  :P

The abandoned building models are a great idea - I love the boarded up windows!

I'm going to admit that half the time I stop by this site, I'm hoping to catch a glimpse of some new C.P. models  :D

Thanks for making my day  :thumbsup:

whatevermind

metarvo

It's good to see more work from you, C.P.  I haven't seen many abandoned building BATs, but it is one area of SC4 where there's plenty of room for expansion.  What city doesn't have an old building with a detailed history?  If these walls could talk...  ;D  The abandoned buildings look good, and more diagonal buildings are always welcome.

Good work!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Jack_wilds

hello CP...

popping in to say Hi and Hello plus to encourage that you continue to plodding along to finish and then release these projects...

as they are much anticipated, desired even, for their thoughtful detail, craftsmanship and added nostalgic value for our cities...

waiting for further progress updates  :satisfied:

c.p.

Thanks vortext, Willy, Simcoug, whatevermind, metarvo, and Jack_Wilds for the support and encouragement!  :)

It's been unexpectedly rainy the past few weeks, so I made a few more buildings.

The top left buildings are R$ tenements.  They will fit on 1x2 lots.  The middle-left ones are R$$$ mansions, which will fit on 2x2 (or larger) lots, and should work well on corner lots.  There are some matching garages for them too on the right.  The ones on the upper right are R$$ W2W buildings.  The bottom ones ("Fairhaven" and "Ohio") are multifamily R$$ residential.

RepublicMaster

They look very nice! Especially the mansions! :D