• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Daeley presents... a new (and hopefully useful) pathing tool

Started by daeley, February 22, 2007, 03:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daeley

I wrote this for fun...

this tool allows you to view multiple paths at the same time, so you can see if they align well. Paths can be easily created from scrath by clicking the rectangular views (single or grid), as clicking there will add points to the "active" path.
As you can see from the screenshots, you can set a background picture to the views (at this moments only picture formats are supported, so you'll have to convert the textures to jpg or png first).
You can also use text view to import existing paths (paste it in with ctrl-C (copy) ctrl-V (paste)) and whenever you do any edits to text view (for example to fine-tune the coordinates or edit path names) just click the update button and other views will be reset.

this tool was written in Java and you probably need the JRE 1.5 or higher to run it (but most people should already have that I hope)

<< beta link removed, please get the latest version from the LEX >>

edit: just realised maybe I should've put this in one of the tools forums... we'll see ^^
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

metasmurf

jeronij

Hello Daeley, this is a really clean tool, and I can see many uses for that one  ;D
I have a quick question. Do you plan to add the z dimension representation in the perspective view ?¿. I think it would make the tool even more useful  ;)

Brw, if you want the topic moved to the tools board, just let me know  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Tarkus

Hi Daeley-

I must say, as a transit modder, this is an extremely useful tool.  I can't put into words how great this is.  It's amazing to actually be able to visually see what you're doing with the paths.  It cuts down on a lot of excruciating trial-and-error.  In fact, I just messed around with it some, and finally got around to updating the paths on the 7-lane version of the "Turning Lane Avenues" (TLA) project I've been working on.

Again, many, many thanks for creating this tool!   :thumbsup:  It's one of the best things that have happened in transit modding for quite some time.

-Tarkus

Indisguise

Colossus X-rated

The former Mrs BourneID

QuoteI wrote this for fun...

Dont get me wrong here... because anything that can make pathing easy (er ;) ) and therefore new Transit lots/mod and the like more readily available is much appreciated...

But us folks here seriously need to take ya out on the town a bit...   :)

daeley

Quote from: The former Mrs BourneID on February 22, 2007, 08:03:00 PM

Dont get me wrong here... because anything that can make pathing easy (er ;) ) and therefore new Transit lots/mod and the like more readily available is much appreciated...

But us folks here seriously need to take ya out on the town a bit...   :)

:D :D

hehe, I was just bored with gaming :p wasn't that much work really...

And about a z-dimension in isometric view... I've tried it a little bit already, but it isn't easy to show in a "clean" way... I'll probably have to enable rotating the isometric view to get it done (argg algebra nightmare) so you'll have to hold your breath a little long ;)
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

bat

jeronij

Quote from: daeley on February 23, 2007, 12:31:44 AM
And about a z-dimension in isometric view... I've tried it a little bit already, but it isn't easy to show in a "clean" way... I'll probably have to enable rotating the isometric view to get it done (argg algebra nightmare) so you'll have to hold your breath a little long ;)

Holding breathe......holding..........holding.........hhhoolding.......hhhhool........ ( how long ?¿  &hlp)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

sebes

I have read this now three times and have no clue at all what this does...  ()what()

Would it be something I should do in my game or do only modders use this?
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

daeley

1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

M4346

Quote from: daeley on February 23, 2007, 07:29:11 AM
sebes: it's only needed for transit modding :)

That explains it... lol. I opened this thread three times yesterday, stared at it for a while, and couldn't make out what all the fuss was about. LOL! Sorry...  $%Grinno$%

I still think it's a great tool though, judging from the others' reaction.  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

vester

sebes

Quote from: daeley on February 23, 2007, 07:29:11 AM
sebes: it's only needed for transit modding :)

Thank heavens!  And I agree with Marius: from the other reactions I understand this will be a great addition to the in-game traffic. So, I will look forward to using the final transit mods that this enables  :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

daeley

I updated the perspective view to support z-scaling and rotation (file at the original link is updated).

note that picture quality is slightly worse in perspective view because I ditched the Java Graphics2D affine transforms, but they were giving me too much of a headache when rotating the view.
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Rayden

Nice job daeley, specially because you were bored, but looks like in the end it came out great. You must get bored more often $%Grinno$% :thumbsup:

mjig_dudy

daeley

Quote from: Rayden on February 24, 2007, 05:58:58 AM
You must get bored more often $%Grinno$% :thumbsup:

:satisfied: don't worry, it happens a lot... especially since I stoppped playing World of Warcraft
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

vester

Quote from: daeley on February 24, 2007, 07:06:24 AM
:satisfied: don't worry, it happens a lot... especially since I stoppped playing World of Warcraft

Please don't start playing that again.  ;)  :D

daeley

made a few minor updates and bugfixes. From now on, the latest version will be available on LEX.
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!