• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM Stations for RTMT

Started by z, February 05, 2009, 01:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the default SAM stations use the same props as everything else, or should they vary by SAM type?

Use standard default stations.
8 (21.6%)
Pick a default based on the SAM type.
29 (78.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

z

I'm gradually working on the design for SAM stations, and the above question arose.  I could see that people who used SAM may very well want different station props from the start, depending on the SAM texture used.  If you are one of these, please describe which props you would like to see for which texture.  You can find a list and pictures of all the current props in the ReadMe file.  Right now, the only SAM textures we will not be doing are parking lots, since the RTMT props would block the parking lots.  We're planning on bus stops for dirt roads (they do occur), but we'll have to draw the line at subways.

z

I am beginning work on the design for the SAM stations.  Of the eight current SAM textures, four will be treated essentially like normal streets in terms of the stations and props available for them.  Each of the four will have a bus stop, a subway stop, and a combination bus and subway stop, all 1x1.  For the Parking Lots SAM, there would be no stations at all (as the standard props would block the parking spaces); a standard street RTMT station could be placed wherevere a stion was wanted here. The remaining textures are the dirt and gravel streets.  Clearly, subway stations would be inappropriate here.  But in certain contexts, bus stops would fit.  I think they should be simpler than the standard bus stop, though.  For one thing, having the standard sidewalk underneath wouldn't seem to make sense, as typically there would be no pavement of any kind anywhere near them.  So I'm thinking of using just the standard texture for the entire square.  This, of course, raises the question of which wealth level to use; my initial thinking is that "medium" would be a reasonable compromise.

There is also the question of the street markings (the ones that say BUS STOP and SUBWAY).  Which SAM textures should have them (at least as a standard option)?

Finally, there is the question of which props should be used with the dirt and gravel bus stops.  As these are stations for simple areas, I think only one side of the street should be used.  There would be a standard RTMT bus shelter and a bus sign; a timetable seems to make sense as well.  The other props are somewhat questionable.  These include the phone booth, trash can, vending machine, street signs, and newspapers.  Of course, this is all customizable, but a decision needs to be made as to what the default station will include.

So all you SAM users (and potential SAM users), please let me know what think about these issues.  Does what I have proposed make sense?  What props do you definitely want included?  What props do you definitely want left out?

LE0

I think this is a great idea :)

There are some ones for dirt roads by uroncha on the stex:
http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?id=20711

The problem it has a dependency, which is P-gs MTP bus stop, which requires MTP. &mmm
Leoland coming Spring 2009

Pat

I voted with the second choice as I think it would look better...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie