• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

3RR-ST - Page 37

Started by dedgren, February 24, 2009, 10:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

This is the SC4D archive of Page 37 of Three Rivers Region at Simtropolis.  Comments are locked for now.

[tabular type=1]
[row] [head colspan=2]
Page 37
[/head] [/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1080 10/20/2006 04:15 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Darmok
[/data][data] Can't wait to see more of the scaling thing with SC4 terraformer, that is something I wanted to try in AVR...

About NetHack, it's been a long time since I've played, thanks for the reminder, I've downloaded the last version and started to play again.... (killed two times already...)

Have a great weekend my friend....

PS Any snow by now???
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1081 10/20/2006 07:32 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data] Work in progress.

Trial today.  Trial the first of next week.  That's the great thing about Fridays in the law biz-

...only two more work days 'til Monday.

Later.

p.s.:  John, it hasn't snowed yet.  Freezes every night, though.  Tarkus and all- great comments- I'll be addressing them (and begging threestooges continued forgiveness) over the weekend).
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1082 10/20/2006 07:35 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

MGawlik
[/data][data] I only joined recently and found this thread a few days ago. While I haven't come close to reviewing all this information yet, I wanted you to know this is a great job. I also thought it was time to stop lurking.

Thanks
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1083 10/20/2006 07:55 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

jacqulina
[/data][data] hi david,thats a great looking map my friend
are you feeling a little better now
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1084 10/20/2006 09:32 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Nik-nik
[/data][data] Great winter is coming to Alaska that means David has to stay indoors more. And what does he do indoors? Play around with 3RR. mmmmmm I will enjoy this winter.

sorry for my over enthousiastic words but I have been eavesdropping on you and Darmok.
Looking forward to that map of yours.

Have a great weekend.

Nik-Nik
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1085 10/20/2006 10:29 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

DioAngel
[/data][data] Interesting Map David! Keep it coming! :-) [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1086 10/20/2006 10:55 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

threestooges
[/data][data] Well I didn't want to say anything, but as you mentioned earlier... promises, promises. But there are certain things which certainly take priority. I can keep myself busy watching the development around here. Take care and good luck. [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1087 10/20/2006 12:12 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

GMT
[/data][data] hm, great work on the... ehm... whatever that is.

can't wait to see what it is
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1088 10/20/2006 04:29 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Shadow_Assassin
[/data][data] The map looks like someone's been eating at it.  :P

Anyways, from what I can see of the new revised map, it looks brilliant, mate.
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1089 10/20/2006 04:30 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

sorchin
[/data][data] I'm looking forward to this David.. Your making headway that's for sure.. Only two more days until Monday?/ Yeah that sounds like us carpet cleaners can use the same line.. Very true...LOL.. [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1090 10/20/2006 04:32 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Gaston
[/data][data] Hi David,
     I haven't been on for a few days.   Dang I have been busy.    I went back and read all the posts from the last time I posted on.   I wanted to take a second to say thanks alot for all the answers to all my questions.    I only have a few minutes tonight so I figured I'd just drop in for a few.   If I get a chance I'll update a bit later.

---Gaston
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1091 10/20/2006 09:21 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data] Tonight's pic from the map lab.

First output from SC4TF.

This is the "snapshot" PNG from the "Overview" window.  All the hill areas still have flat tops- I haven't created the higher elevations in the greyscale I'm using as the import.

The Terraformer is one amazing program.  Thanks again, wouanagaine!

UPDATE:  (10-21-06  7:55 a.m. AST  GMT-9)  Here's another pic from the 3RR Map Lab.  I'm in the process of creating the greyscale elevation layers.  I think I wind up with about 14 or 15 of them.  I'm on 11.

On another note, is anyone using Internet Explorer 7[/b[ yet?  I've DL'd the installer, but am a bit nervous to be the first in the water.  Let me know.

Have a great weekend!

UPDATE2[/color[:  (10-22-06  7:25 a.m. AST  GMT-9)  This is a gift to all those who check back for updated posts.

Buggi, a SC4 Under-the-Hood God, has available on this thread [ linkie ] a DLL that you install in your plugins folder that gives you this-

Check it out!

The greyscale map will be completed this morning.  At that point, its on to the Terraformer.

Later.

UPDATE3:  (10-22-06  7:55 a.m. AST  GMT-9)  ImageShack [ linkie ] now has provided a public access page for users.  All the pics that can be found in 3RR (and some that can't) are viewable by clicking this link:

url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/dedgren]dedgren's ImageShack Public Page [ linkie ][/url]

It's a great pic hosting service, and they appear to be trying to add value all the time.

Yet even later.

UPDATE4:  (10-22-06  9:25 a.m. AST  GMT-9)  Almost there.  The peaks in the northeast and southwest corner need yet to be placed.  Another hour or so.

I feel like Slartibartfast [ linkie ].

Even later still.
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1092 10/21/2006 08:55 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

asturianu
[/data][data] Wow, David, theese maps are great!!!

I especially love the first, where is very clear the elevation, nice!
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1093 10/21/2006 03:53 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

DioAngel
[/data][data] Oooo sweet! :-) [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1094 10/22/2006 07:00 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

tchaos713
[/data][data] Lookin' good!

On the side note, I have been testing IE 7 for a couple months now. It seems to be stable and runs well. I haven't had any trouble. Now Windows Media Player 11 on the other hand...
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1095 10/22/2006 10:35 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Rayden
[/data][data] Yep, you're becoming a map expert. Thinking of changing profession, or is that a backup just in case everybody start to behave good and then no need for a lawyer? ;) [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1096 10/22/2006 10:55 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

wouanagaine
[/data][data] Someone said my name ?
Dedgren sumoned wouanagaine

Cool map david, maybe you should try modifing the gradient color in SC4TF,
make a backup of datas\basicColors.ini
change the [land] section with some grey values, that may help you building those map

Take care
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1097 10/22/2006 11:38 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

tommiej
[/data][data] nice terraforming... [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1098 10/22/2006 01:18 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data] Uh, oh...

...hours pass...

Heh.  Noop...

...must 'a been a figment of my (vivid) imagination.

Something like this from a while back...

[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1099 10/22/2006 01:23 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

jacqulina
[/data][data] lol david waiting to see more [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1100 10/22/2006 08:24 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data] The next update will probably be the one most everyone is waiting for, but putting it together will probably take a bit, so here's a sneak peek at the completed greyscale.

Since evryone has been so patient, here's a link to a 2048 by 2048 pixel image (260 kb) of the same thing [ linkie ].  It will open in a new window.

Enjoy.

UPDATE:  Here's the first PNG output of the completed map from SC4TF.

Later later.

UPDATE2:   (10-23-06  12:05 a.m. AST)  Some raw output from the Terraformer before I'm off to bed.  Note that I have done nothing other than import the greyscale map (I'll admit that I hit it with a slight "blur- average" just before I saved it) I just made into a blank eight large tile by eight large tile region.

I don't know if I'll do anything more than save to SC4 at this point, as it look like further editing could be done with the game tools (I don't know anything...yet...about the SC4TF tool set).  Wouanagaine, if you're out there- what do you think?

It's late- I'm off to bed.

Enjoy.
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1101 10/22/2006 08:29 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

crazychickensc12
[/data][data] lol ST for sale, wonderful works from the map lab dedgren, these are turing out really good..keep it up!!  :) [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1102 10/23/2006 12:59 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Nik-nik
[/data][data] So David, eh you like also fjords as Slartibastfast does?

Great maps!

85 PAGES of images? I can imagine Imageshack gives you a page of your own. .... 85 pages...tsjik, tsik, tsik.

Nik-Nik
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1104 10/23/2006 04:21 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

emilin
[/data][data] I've been lurking here for ages, but since you were kind enough to post in my CJ I really had to make myself visible.

Although I must admit I don't really undestand everything you are doing here, I'm finding myself strangely drawn back to this CJ time and time again. I don't know if it's your pictures, your sense of humour - or just your happy manic obsessivness, but this is a truely unique and very addictive CJ.
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1105 10/23/2006 07:45 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Gaston
[/data][data] Morning David,
   I'm off work for a couple of days so I'm here on a Monday morning.    I really love your work with the terraformer.   I've played around with it a bit and am not sure I really like it.   Don't get me wrong.   It is an amazing tool.   I am just not to good working with it.   If anyone has some tips or can direct me to a link that will help, let me know.

On a slightly different note.   I down-loaded the "cheats dll" that you posted a link to.     I love it (not that I would ever use any cheats :)).     I have only one little problem.    I have no clue what about half of these do.  See below:

Buggi, a SC4 Under-the-Hood God, has available on this thread [ linkie ] a DLL that you install in your plugins folder that gives you this-

Check it out!
I know the obvious ones (weaknesspays, fight thepower, you don't deserve it).   But most of the others I have no clue what effect they have.    Do you happen to have a link to a list of them and what they do?     Somedays I feel like such a noob it isn't funny.   lol    Hope you have a great day.

---Gaston
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1106 10/23/2006 08:38 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

bat
[/data][data] Great SC4 Terraformer Pictures!

bat $%#Ninj2
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1107 10/23/2006 03:32 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

tchaos713
[/data][data] Great pictures of the Terraformer. I think I'll have to try it out.

By the way, to all concerned, Buggi has promised to get us a list of all the cheats and, more importantly, what they do when he has time.
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1108 10/23/2006 03:36 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

DioAngel
[/data][data] Keep it coming David! [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1109 10/23/2006 08:44 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data]
QuoteThe next update will probably be the one most everyone is waiting for

The next update will probably be the one most everyone is waiting for

Well, I lied misspoke.

Quotemis•speak   (ms-spk)
v. mis•spoke (-spk), mis•spo•ken (-spkn), mis•speak•ing, mis•speaks
v.tr.
To speak or pronounce incorrectly: The lead actor misspoke his lines.
v.intr.
To speak mistakenly, inappropriately, or rashly.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

UPDATE:  (10-24-06)  John (Darmok - Anduin Valley Revisited) advised me here [ linkie ] not to at least be so impolitic.  Good advice.  Hey, I didn't mean to do it!

What can I say?

I'm going to instead give you another sneak peek.  To reward you for your immense patience, though, what follows will include a sneak peak into the very future of 3RR.

You'll recall that the last substantive update stopped several pages ago with the presentation of information and analysis demonstrating...

...at least to my satisfaction, anyway...

...that 3RR, as currently laid out and developed, just doesn't work as a 10 mile (16 kilometer) by 10 mile square region.  Not if I want to create

Quotean urban "core" area of about 5 miles on each side (the original four (SC4 large city) townships of Pineshore, Wind River, Cold Lake and Grand Lake) surrounded by farms, woodlands and other open space.

Comparing 3RR side-by-side with a particular RL place: Bloomington-Normal, Illinois, that looks like that description...

...shows I have grossly erred in terms of achieving any realistic degree of scale.

Let me give you another reason to reach that conclusion.

Remember my "Running the Roaring Fork" updates that started back toward the end of page 11 [ linkie ]?  If you'll recall, I described the river, shown here crossing a large township ("game" city)

in the following terms:

QuoteThe Roaring Fork enters the area at the bottom left, continues along the northern boundary of the township, and, after a large S-bend, exits the township to the north just short of the eastern boundary.  It is one of the region's pre-eminent whitewater rafting rivers, as you'll see.  Wolf Creek, a tributary stream, flows into Roaring Fork from the south most of the way through the S-bend.  Interregion (I)-60 is the freeway running east-west south of the river.  You can see I-760, the outer east regional bypass heading south from its junction with I-60 along the top of the pic.

The remainder of the stretch of the Roaring Fork in question is depicted here crossing the southeast corner of a medium township square and exiting the region to the east.

Now, I described the raft trip as a two-day affair, pulling out for the night here

about one-third of the way downriver.

Sounds pretty good, right?  Well, let's consider the matter more closely.

Checking, we find that at least one source would indicate that the current through whitewater rapids runs about four feet (a little more than 1.2 meters) per second [ linkie ].  Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the current along this stretch of the Roaring Fork averages about three feet (about .9 meters) per second in speed.  That's 180 feet (a little less than 55 meters) per minute or about 2 miles (just under 3.3 kilometers) an hour.

Think about it.  Estimating the length of the section of the Roaring Fork we describe running using the size of the townships (2.5 miles/4 kilomters a side for a large square and 1.25 miles/2 kilometers a side for a medium square) it crosses gives us a total trip distance of...

...uhhh...

...about three miles (4.8 kilometers).  That means that if we put in about 9:00 o'clock in the morning, we'd reach the overnight camp area by ten...

...leaving plenty of time to drink be...enjoy nature.

Sleeping late (wonder why?) and getting a late start at 10:30 the next morning, we'd reach the pull-out point halfway through the lunch hour.

Like I said, 3RR's scale just doesn't work.  At least not for what I want to do with the region.

...breaktime!  Back in a bit...

UPDATE:  The break (of course) took longer than I thought.  This is continued here [ linkie ].
[/size][/data][/row]

[row][data][/data][data][/data][/row]
[/tabular]

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax