• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Solved: Why does this happen?

Started by Barroco Hispano, September 21, 2018, 10:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barroco Hispano

This happens to me all the time...

Barroco Hispano

mgb204

It's an error in the creation of the LOD, where either the U or V values for the UV mapping are only 50% of what they should be. This fix for SC4 BAT should resolve the issue, see here (MY BAT IS DISTORTED) for how to fix it for your existing models.

Barroco Hispano

That doesn't solve the problem :/
Barroco Hispano

mgb204

Others have said this, but I've never had a single export with this problem and have the fix installed. I'd double-check you have placed the corrected file in the correct location in gMax's install dir. If the texture fix doesn't help, there isn't anything more you can do but manually fix the U/V mapping.

Simmer2

Along my 1000's of render journey (I use Gmax but I suspect you may have the same issue I had even if you are using 3dMax) I have encountered that issue a few times.

This is what I found and fixed my problem.

Open Gmax/3dMax --> open model. select everything in the model, click ungroup --> save model and reset Gmax/3dMax or close app and open again.

This time do not open the model, instead use the "merge" feature. A window will open with a list of objects in the model ---> select all but individually deselect all 3 LOD's and more importantly, any cameras (thumbnail ect.) you may have grouped and saved previously.

Re-fit the LOD's and save. Now you are ready to re-render.

This issue occurs if you save the models after a preview render. In that case you also save the thumbnail camera as well and after reopening the model and try to render it, its actually trying to render it from 2 different camera locations thus "freezing" and distorting the model in one orientation or other.

Hope that helps.

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

mattb325

All 3DS batters do need to ensure that Bat fix patch from maxis is installed as it affects the second last step in exporting (that is using GMAX Bat to create the LOD box and ID assignment which is what that fix addresses)

However, in your case this is NOT an issue of the Bat fix being either absent or in the wrong spot, despite what others might tell you.
There is a bug in BAT 4 Max that mostly only impacts smaller objects. It will happen again and again on the object no matter how many times you render. There are two work-arounds (not fixes)

1. You will need to adjust the LOD size (ie make it taller). That might help when you are doing buildings, but won't help with SIM sized objects
2. You have to adjust the values in the reader: you are in the correct spot to make the adjustment from your screenshot. You either need to double (or halve) the X/Y values depending on whichever change makes it look correct. You can, if you prefer, also use your cursor to highlight the little blue vertices and then visually adjust the bounding box so that it displays the item correctly in the black preview area. In your example, as  I can see your bounding box is clearly the right size I would highlight all of the vertices and drag them until they are covering the SIM model. Please note: that 99% of batters and all pedants prefer the mathematical way of making the change; I use either way depending on which will be quicker.

I can assure you that almost every smaller model I make in 3DS Max suffers the same fate (so you are not alone), and unlike what you have been told, I have the BAT fix installed and in the correct location, and I perform the same adjustments in the reader each time after rendering.

Barroco Hispano

I solved the problem.

I think that happens when the LOD is a bit longer than the image.

Barroco Hispano