• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

A Stunning Building or a Disaster?

Started by catty, November 02, 2012, 09:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catty

We all know a building that you either love or hate, so this topic is for people to showcase those stunning Buildings or was it a disaster that should never have been built.

I'll start us off with the Kumutoto Toilets in Wellington, NZ, what the architects said about this project

QuoteThese public toilets are located at the Synergy Plaza in the Kumutoto Precinct. As well as taking into account practical considerations such as security, hygiene and vandalism, the brief was to create a structure with a sculptural form, something iconic, highly visible and unusual that was also well integrated into the visual and historical context of the surrounding precinct.

To be seen in the round, the design comprises two elongated, irregularly curved forms, instantly recognisable from all key pedestrian approaches and terminating a sequence of spaces and elements along the laneway. These organic forms, eye-catching and instantly memorable, are suggestive of crustaceans or sea creatures, as if the structure was a kind of fossilised husk that had been discovered and inhabited. Recalling the waterfront's shipping past, they evoke the crusty saltiness of the sea in the smooth levelness of the precinct, clinging to its surface like barnacles to the underside of a boat.

Each form contains one accessible public toilet, with one of the two also including cleaning facilities. Their robust concrete construction is appropriate to the surrounding maritime environment. A metal rainscreen, painted the brick red of the neighbouring sheds, ties them into the heritage context and enhances their visibility. While they contrast with the linear architecture of the surrounding buildings, again contributing to their visual distinctness, the curves of the new structure also echo some of the ornate detailing on the nearby sheds. Cantilevered 'tails' provide natural ventilation.

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Flatron

mrbisonm

WTH .....Not stunning to me but.....strange. Why would anyone try to imitate a crustacian with a building?

Here two of mine, the first also quite strange and ......not quite practical. And the other built between two big rocks.....just stunning, original and amazing. (to me)

Sorry to say, but I have no description to these, nor an idea where they're from. I have these pics since years.

Fred

Edit: Oh...and if you want a disaster, here's one that totally is!

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

art128

The first one is from the futuroscope, near Poitier in France. I have been inside this building and it was quite nice. There's a big theater (cinema), if I remember correctly it was an Imax.

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

catty

Quote from: mrbisonm on November 02, 2012, 10:39:30 AM

Sorry to say, but I have no description to these, nor an idea where they're from. I have these pics since years.

Its called Casa do Penedo, and is in the Fafe mountains of northern Portugal

http://www.golgegalerisi.com/2012/05/07/fred-cakmaktasin-evi/#.UJRhTGez6CU

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

RickD

Quote from: catty on November 02, 2012, 09:48:15 AM

Hmm, I'm not so sure about those "ventilation tails". I'd rather not walk by too close.   %wrd
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

catty

Quote from: RickD on November 05, 2012, 06:14:02 AM
Hmm, I'm not so sure about those "ventilation tails". I'd rather not walk by too close.   %wrd

They are on the Wellington Waterfront and they are a lot higher off the ground than it looks in the pictures

the same company that designed the toilets also were responsible for the new airport terminals at Wellington Airport

-catty

catty

Dusts off the topic, and posts a picture of the "The dog and sheep buildings, Tirau, Waikato, New Zealand"

()stsfd()

cogeo

Kitsune

Its smart, as if those are the self cleaning after someone uses it kind they cost 450K each. So making them eye catching in a way to behave as an urban landmark is a way of getting more bang for the buck.
~ NAM Team Member

catty

I've no idea if they are self-cleaning or not, but most modern public toilets in New Zealand are, as every year there will be a story in the news as another toddler gets locked into one just as the wash cycle starts   ()sad()

fantozzi

I'd like to revitalize this thread because I can't decide myself and would like to hear your opinion.

This row of modern apartments buildings is located at the brink of the Skyttehus Bay in Vejle, Denmark. It was completed in 2010, I think.

On first sight it seems something nattily, chic to build apartmants in the shape of a wave close to the water. A very obvious association, architecture playing with nature's forms. But then - waves of this size close to the waterfront - don't they look menacing, aren't they a symbol of distruction?

Can't help to read it as a metaphor saying - we architects can be as destructive on landscapes as a tsunami.

But what's your opinion?

catty

Quote from: fantozzi on February 23, 2019, 12:43:32 AM
...On first sight it seems something nattily, chic to build apartments in the shape of a wave close to the water. A very obvious association, architecture playing with nature's forms. But then - waves of this size close to the waterfront - don't they look menacing, aren't they a symbol of destruction?..

According to the architects who designed it they were inspired by the Sydney Opera House and the

QuoteThe land surrounding Vejle is unique for its rolling hills, which are an uncommon sight in Denmark

So no waves, but I'm a bit  :-\  it nice its not just another box but not sure I like the design

Seaman

Quote from: catty on February 23, 2019, 02:14:10 AM
[...] it nice its not just another box but not sure I like the design

Well, I've definetly seen worse. And to be honest: I like the courage to not fill the airspacebetween the hills/waves. That gives it a more sleak and less overwhelming appearance compared to more "traditional" or "effective" blocks.

Personally, I'm not sure wether I want to live in a flat, where you can see through. The amount of glass might give you a superb view from inside out, but it would make me feel observed, too.

vortext

Hm yeah don't quite like them, too geometrical for my taste to be associated with anything organic or nature like. In fact the design is pretty much a sawtooth wave form which sounds pretty annoying and/or aggresive depening on the frequency.

Speaking of 'water' inspired architecture, there're the Armada flats in Den Bosch constructed well over a decade ago but opinions are still pretty divided. In case it wasn't obvious from the name and form, the design was inspired by sail boats.

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Tyberius06

Hehe!
I like these buildings. Reall nice and modern stuffs.
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.