• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How Big is Your Plugins Folder?

Started by bwatterud, March 24, 2007, 05:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

That's quite a big plugin folder you have there, oldrogue. I'm curious to know how long it takes you to run the game.

blade2k5

I have roughly 2gb of plugins and all are in use and still have another 2+ gb of plugins that haven't been installed yet.  Game still runs super fast and I'm not a picky dld'er, if I like something I dl it...if looks good in the game I keep it :thumbsup:, if it looks cruddy:thumbsdown:, it gets deleted.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

Yoman

5-6 gb with the DAT packer :P 10-15 gb without :P

vab423

700 MB and shrinking.  I took out a lot of stuff -- especially parks, civic bldgs and other stuff that was cluttering up the menus; bldgs that looked great standing by themselves but just didn't look "right" in the cities; most of the custom farms (though I kept Jmyers, Simgoober and a couple of pmiller farms); skyscrapers (how many R$$$ and CO$$$ high rises does one really need anyway?) --and I'm still working on getting it trimmed down even more. 

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

TheTeaCat

As of now my plugin folder is 1.3GB  ::)

Thats is after Wouanagaine's magnificent programs have done their work. (Its saved over 5mins of loading time alone)

Havent been downloading much lately but I am sure that will change soon :D

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

thundercrack83

Quote from: Yoman on March 28, 2007, 12:58:55 PM
5-6 gb with the DAT packer :P 10-15 gb without :P

10-15 GB??? That is INSANE!

Thornton

Mine is about 800 Mb.  I once had it at 1.5 Gb but decided it that was to much so it shrunk.

Frigid

850 MB.  I can get it smaller by using datpacker
I have returned!

BourneID

... hummm....   its not the size of the plugins folder that matters....  Its how well you use them in the game.

at least thats what I keep telling myself

Smile Y'all

vab423

You just keep telling yourself that, Bourne.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

BigSlark

Uncompressed, my plugins folder is 1.20 GB and after DATPacker it comes in at 1.08. Of course, both have had BSC Cleanitol run after every plugin installation binge to make sure its nice and clean.

After compression the game doesn't take long to load at all.

mark

My plugin's folder currently sits at 789mb but its mainly nam, plop water/trees..civic utility seaport and rail lots/mods, with very little in the way of res comm or industrial lots yet, im still recovering from a hard drive failure :( My old plugin folder was in the region of 3 gig but with all this great new content can see it being some what larger  that that :)

Mark

oldrogue

Mark, you and I are in the same boat....don't know how big my folder was before Mr Murphey's Law struck. &cry2.....

Ahhh well, Oh, and Thundercrack.....in answer to your question.....I'm doing a huge (81 large cities) region now.....it's not too bad getting the game to start, mabye 3 minutes....but getting into the individual cities gets longer and longer .... and this is with only a total pop of about 56,000..... I figure that if I started now....3 minutes to region shot, then depending on the city, another 3 to 5 minutes...... :o

Anyone have a used Cray that would fit in my living room &idea
Sometimes I go into my own little world....but it's ok, they know me there.

schooner2

Mine was at 1 gb until I started to clean it out.  I reckon it will be that large again once I open a new set of BATs.  What I am doing now though is making separate plug-in folders for each city or grouping my plug-ins by themes.  For example, for my capital city of Lexington, I created a plug-in folder labelled Lexington and added the BATs that will be only be used for that city.  This also helps create individualized cities without the same buildings re-appearing in every city.

For themes, for example, I have a plug-in folder labeled "coastal" for my cities that have waterfront.  No need to have docks and seaports in your plug-ins when you are playing an interior land-locked city.  Sure, it is an extra step moving these folders in and out of the plug-ins folder prior to opening the game but it beats having to have a slow game and a jam-packed menu bar all of the time!!

I use the Datapacker for all of the dependency files-props and textures, transportation BATS and mods, etc.  This helps alot!
"Proclaiming your religion, race, ethnicity, gender just cheapens your image.  After all, aren't we all just human?"  - Anonymous

thundercrack83

Quote from: oldrogue on April 04, 2007, 01:11:39 PM
Ahhh well, Oh, and Thundercrack.....in answer to your question.....I'm doing a huge (81 large cities) region now.....it's not too bad getting the game to start, mabye 3 minutes....but getting into the individual cities gets longer and longer .... and this is with only a total pop of about 56,000..... I figure that if I started now....3 minutes to region shot, then depending on the city, another 3 to 5 minutes...... :o

Well, that's not too bad, actually, especially for 81 large city tiles!

Shadow Assassin

God, the lag in my region is horrible. I've got 160 large city tiles to fill, and I've only filled 24. So I've got a long way ahead of me...

As for my plugins folder. It's 1.92GB.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

iamgoingtoeatyou

I have about 1.9 GB, Sadly, The Datpacker doesn't seem to work on my computer :(

Travis

(Checking...) About 3 gigs even. I must say though, at least half a gig of that I never use, never have used, or even know I have it.
Problem is, I'm just too lazy to delete it...  :P

Loading times are okay. My laptop has a gigabyte of RAM and It takes about 10 minutes for SC4 to load, and after that,
not much trouble.  :thumbsup:

By the way, is it even possible to run the game with 15 gigs of plugins?

bwatterud

Yes, but it would take days to load.   :P

DFire870

Mine's about 900 MB, but I probably need to clean some of it out. I know I definitely need to reorganize it as it's getting a bit messy. My only system of organization is I have folders with the author names, and I put all of the plugins in those respective folders. The Cleanitol and DatPacker have worked wonders on it though.

I think most of my plugins are from SimGoober...  :P
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.