• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Technical Discussion and Support and the 4 gb patch

Started by builder, February 14, 2014, 03:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

builder

Hello,

It looks like I can't find the Technical Discussion and Support part of the forums. Mods, feel free to move this to the Technical Discussion and Support if necessary!

My big issue here is the fact that after installing the 4 gb patch, it "killed" my .exe, and I have apparently no .exe file in the Apps folder of my game. the 4 gb patch was kind enough to make a backup-file, but it's a dll, and I have no idea how to convert that into an .exe file... I really do not want to have to re-install the game, and then have to download aaall those mods and whatnot I have gathered over the years. I have read this thread: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=16090.0;wap2 and it hinted at there being a way around this, but if my dll-file which is the apparent backup-file of the .exe file, then I need technical help in understanding how to convert into an .exe file.

Indiana Joe

Quote from: builder on February 14, 2014, 03:21:04 PM
Hello,

It looks like I can't find the Technical Discussion and Support part of the forums. Mods, feel free to move this to the Technical Discussion and Support if necessary!

My big issue here is the fact that after installing the 4 gb patch, it "killed" my .exe, and I have apparently no .exe file in the Apps folder of my game. the 4 gb patch was kind enough to make a backup-file, but it's a dll, and I have no idea how to convert that into an .exe file... I really do not want to have to re-install the game, and then have to download aaall those mods and whatnot I have gathered over the years. I have read this thread: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=16090.0;wap2 and it hinted at there being a way around this, but if my dll-file which is the apparent backup-file of the .exe file, then I need technical help in understanding how to convert into an .exe file.

You can save your plugins and still re-install the game.  Just copy your plugins folder into another location, and then put it back afterwards.

Re-installing sounds like the easiest option, since I've never heard of the .exe disappearing.  You don't want to mess things up even further.

catty

Quote from: builder on February 14, 2014, 03:21:04 PM
...but if my dll-file which is the apparent backup-file of the .exe file, then I need technical help in understanding how to convert into an .exe file.

right-click on "SimCity 4.exe.Backup" open Properties, in open box at top of screen delete .Backup from name, click the apply button ... :thumbsup:
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

builder

Thanks for the tips Catty, it worked!! :D

Luckily I won't have to re-install the game after all, Indiana Joe :)