• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4Devotion LEX Updates - Now on HTTPS

Started by CasperVg, January 15, 2013, 02:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RepublicMaster

JoeST

Oh, ok, bundling LEX stuff server-side makes sense, as long as it doesn't cause the server any problems, considering the high levels of use that it sees. Thanks agian Casper :D you're doing some awesome work.
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Rayden

Great work over here. One thing I would like to see at the top bar (Latest, Most popular, etc...) and that we have at the Private BSC LEX, it's the option "Recent Updates". Sometimes I miss some updated files because of the lack of that and only notice that when somebody comments about it on the forum.

CasperVg

Quote from: Rayden on August 01, 2013, 04:33:16 AM
Great work over here. One thing I would like to see at the top bar (Latest, Most popular, etc...) and that we have at the Private BSC LEX, it's the option "Recent Updates". Sometimes I miss some updated files because of the lack of that and only notice that when somebody comments about it on the forum.

Added, not really sure why it wasn't there in the first place. Maybe because it had to make room for the "Power Search". You may have to clear your browser caches before the change will show up though.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

CasperVg

Changelog for today:
+ Added some statistics
+ Made dependency bulk download public. Still beta, so don't blame me if your computer explodes.
+ Added "Recent Updates" tab at the top (thanks Rayden)
+ File exchange picture (bridge in the top left corner) will get you back to the LEX homepage if clicked
* Changing the version of your upload no longer requires uploading a new ZIP
* Bugfix: users could not see/visit their profile

Rayden

You're welcome, that is something I was thinking to ask for quite sometime, but only now I remember to point it out.
Great work you're doing here. Could someone throw at this guy a few karma points?

catty

Quote from: Rayden on August 02, 2013, 03:58:11 AM
...Could someone throw at this guy a few karma points?

doing it now   :thumbsup:
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Girafe

Thanks for the updates.

A tiny bug, on the power search tab at the top, I can't find the uploads under the name Vivydu29, he is missing on the uploader list.
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

vortext

Awesome additions Casper!  &apls

A minor issue; when a download has no dependencies and you click the dependency tracker, the gorilla shows up. This might be confusing for some folks as the gorilla says he has a problem when there's in fact no problem at all (since there're no dependencies to track anyway). So maybe the tracker could be disabled for downloads which have no dependencies?

As I said, minor issue though. The tracker and one-click download are excellent!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

CasperVg

Quote from: vortext on August 03, 2013, 08:27:03 AM
A minor issue; when a download has no dependencies and you click the dependency tracker, the gorilla shows up. This might be confusing for some folks as the gorilla says he has a problem when there's in fact no problem at all (since there're no dependencies to track anyway). So maybe the tracker could be disabled for downloads which have no dependencies?

You're right, I should possible disable the link to it or replace it with "No Dependencies" or something like that instead. Added it to the list for tomorrow.
As for the gorilla, he has annoyed me quite a bit occasionally. Right now there's really only two options in terms of info screens, either the motorbike on the highway (green window - success) and the gorilla (red window - failure, bad data). Ideally there would be a third option (yellow?) for informative messages. Things like that are something I'd rather leave for a professional (web)designer (or at least someone with more background in it than I have) but I might whip a temporary one up.

Any suggestions for a picture, anyone?

@ Girafe: that wasn't really a bug, just an admin who forgot to add Vivydu to the author list. Added now  ;)

Tarkus

Actually, for files that have the dependency tracker enabled but have no dependencies, I get a "This upload has no dependencies. It's your lucky day!" message.  (Try clicking the Dependency Tracker on the NAM.)  It's useful information to get the "Sorry, this upload does not support the dependency tracker yet. Check back later!" message from the gorilla, though yes, the gorilla does aggravate people.

-Alex

Girafe

I often like to see the read-me without / before downloading all the package and it seems to be the case for few people around. Thus, I am asking if it would not be interesting to have a download read-me only button...  &Thk/(
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

figui

this is awesome CasperVg, nice additions for a great lex update  :thumbsup:

ps: i support Girafe's idea about the read-me only option...
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

CasperVg

Thanks :) I've thought about a ReadMe preview mode as well, but can't really find a way to reliably do that. I could extract them from the zips, but unfortunately not everyone packages everything the same way, so it's hard to know exactly where the ReadMe is in a zipfile (it gets even worse when the author only supplies the ReadMe after installation/inside the installer). Even if it managed to extract the ReadMe, it would probably still look really bad (image links broken, bad stylesheets and all that jazz).

There's also something else exciting still in the pipeline for the LEX.. but can't really show it off yet..

JoeST

Maybe add an 'upload readme' field so you can have a pdf external to the actual download? that'd probably be the most sensible way of doing it.
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

CasperVg

That's sounds feasible actually - although it would be mainly for new uploads then. I'll look into it when I have some more spare time :)

CasperVg

Big changelog today..

+ Everyone can now upload files to the LEX
+ Such uploads will be labeled "non-certified"
--> Non-certified uploads get a faint blue background color in search results
--> Non-certified uploads can get certified if they pass the LEX Scrutineering Guidelines
--> Users can report non-certified (and certified) content if they believe there are issues with the file. Admins will review it.
--> Uploaders who repeatedly upload good-quality content will be upgraded so that their uploads are automatically certified
--> At administrators' discretion, files that are below a certain standard can be locked (and the author asked to resolve the problems) or even removed if required
+ Added a "Exclude Non-Certified files" checkbox to the Advanced Search
+ Added a "Google Search" functionality to the Advanced Search page (same thing as the one in the left sidebar)
+ Added color-coding of uploads in search results:
--> Faint yellow: LEX Certified
--> Faint blue: Not LEX Certified
--> Faint red: Locked or unsolved reports

Policies and such may change a bit in the following days as we evaluate things..  :)

EDIT:

Colour-coding:

Upload button:

Girafe

I don't know what to think about this such changement in the LEX definition (just hope it will not finish as STEX...)

Anyway thanks a lot for all your hard work  :thumbsup:

A bug with the: my files on the left panel
The Floraler

Rayden

I'm sorry to say this, but I don't agree with this last change. I know there are a lot of good lotters/batters around that prefer to upload their lots on the STEX because of the no restriction policy, but what have always differentiate our LEX was exactly that strict policy to avoid anyone to upload lots without the minimum requirements or without flaws, not to mention other things. I don't know but these changes, in my opinion, are not good, and like Antoine said, let's hope this doesn't turn into a STEX nightmare.

Kitsune

yes.. I've always liked the strict policy of lex, I think anything non-certified to ensure its not just junk. A quick look to ensure nothing is wrong. I also think all content on the LEX needs to be CAM.
~ NAM Team Member