• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Start problems.

Started by francis90b, September 14, 2011, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

francis90b

I am having troubles in starting SC4 mapper.

I have copied my sc4 folder in:"D:\Documenti\SimCity 4"
and i have installed the program in:D:\Programmi\SC4Mapper

When i try to start it, the banner appears, then i see nothing.

This is the log file:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SC4MapApp.pyo", line 1006, in OnClose
  File "SC4MapApp.pyo", line 1009, in ShowMain
  File "SC4MapApp.pyo", line 278, in __init__
UnicodeDecodeError: 'unicodeescape' codec can't decode bytes in position 2-4: truncated \UXXXXXXXX escape

What's happening?

j-dub

@Francis, this problem sucks, because it occurs at random in numerous places, I think its known by Stack Overflow? IDK. I do know, you are not alone, I just don't know where else on this site someone documented this before, maybe if we look back at past issues, the closest one I could find is this:

Quote from: C2s1Traceback (most recent call last):
UnicodeDecodeError: 'unicodeescape' codec can't decode bytes in position 2-4: truncated \UXXXXXXXX escape
Traceback (most recent call last):

Quote from: Vandy

To date, the best information I can give people having problems with SC4Terraformer and SC4Mapper running under Microsoft Vista is as follows:

1) MOST IMPORTANT!! Make sure you have read through the entire SC4Terraformer and SC4Mapper ReadMe files.

2) For SC4Terraformer, make sure you have the correct version of DirectX installed. It MUST BE version 9.0c.

The entire redistribution packaage can be downloaded from Microsoft.com.
The DirectX 9.0c Runtime files can be downloaded from Tracker.5STar-Network.com.

You DO NOT NEED DirectX for SC4Mapper.

3) You may also need MSVCP71.DLL for SC4Terraformer. You MUST have it for SC4Mapper.

4) Make sure your Microsoft .NET files are up-to-date.

5) There is the possibility that you may be a "victim" of a unicode coding issue with SC4Terraformer and SC4Mapper working under Microsoft Vista. I don't have details on this issue other than wouanagaine has commented that to fix it will require a rewrite of the SC4Terraformer applications. Please be aware that he no longer has his source files. They were on his laptop that was stolen.

6) You might check the NHP Place forum or the MAPping Tutorials forum on SC4Devotion to see if there is any further information.

Beyond the above suggestions, I am at a loss as to what else to have you try.

Good luck.

Regards,

Vandy

So hopefully that history helps you out. The worst part is, I know this probably will happen to someone else after you, where or when IDK.

joshua43214

I have several thoughts, not sure if you have tried any of these yet,

First, Its quite possible that SCMapper can only look on the C drive, I know some of the other SC4 software is this way. If you know how, you can do a redirect from where the SCMapper is expecting to find the stuff. Other wise you will need to install (not copy) SC4 on your C drive on its normal path. Then just move the entire SC4 folder out of programs(x86) and MyDocs when you are done.

Vista and 7 users often experience problems with the UAC. Basically, certain softwares can not write files to your hdd, running them as administrator works for some things. If the software calls another piece of software that must write files, running as admin won't help. You have to right click the installation folders and allow all in the secutity tab. You probably already had to do this with both SC4 folders anyway. Or better yet, turn off UAC and use better means for security.

And lastly, install the dll's with an installer. I have had mixed success manually installing dll's. Unfortunately, most of the dll download sites use installers that also install some kind of tracking software that you then have to track down and remove...

francis90b

Thanks folks...i think i have i have missed to give some important infos.

My OS is a 64-bit windows 7.My original SC4 installation is on the C.
I have just copied the documents-sc4 folder outside C, just to prevent the "/username" problem...

I also have SC4 terraformer, but it works fine, and i never had problems with it...i also have MSVCP71.DLL.

francis90b

Never mind, i've got SC4 mapper to work now :).

portlandexpos04

Quote from: francis90b on September 17, 2011, 04:26:03 AM
Never mind, i've got SC4 mapper to work now :).

How did you fix this problem?  I'm having the same issue.