• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The FrankU and Nexis CO-OP

Started by mrbisonm, December 14, 2011, 06:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomvsotis

aw Fred I hope you're feeling better soon!

Jack_wilds

Fred get well soonist... :crytissue: U're too issed around here... 
be made whole... be made strong in Jesus' name...  :satisfied:
go t o rehab and do what the nurse says... :D ::)
Father God give U hugs to make the recovery more assured

mrbisonm

Thanks Jack_wilds, doing better already, but I have a small operation still ahead this coming week and then I should be ok. I will be ready to render the siloset and then send them to FrankU, so he can finish making his lots.

Then I will soon release the three first sets, buildings and Barns, Manure,Silos. The following Sheds, Machinery, Others will be out separately If something happens to me, meanwhile most of my BATs will be releasable.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

carlfatal

Wasn´t here for some time but I wish You all the strength and power to fully recover!  :)

Glenni

It's cool to see that you also returned mrbisonm! You were in fact one of the main people to inspire me to take on BATting back when I first started. :D

evarburg

We're with you all the way, Fred -- bats or not. Mucho love to you, not in brown boxes.

mrbisonm

....Starting to pre-test and render the siloset tonight, and saturday FrankU should receive the first batch to game-test.

The Building and Barn set is finished and ready to use on one DAT file....
The Manure set is finished and ready to use on one DAT file....
The Silo set will be ready within a week ( latest 10 days) and will be on two DAT files (too big and too many to only put them into one datfile)

When these are done, FrankU will start his LOTting. I will continue to bat and render the 4th set, The Shed and Warehouse set. This will be an Add-on, as soon as it is finished. Meanwhile, the 5th set, Machinery and Implements will be released within smaller "Add-Ons" files as time makes them ready and available, some will be ready sooner (days), others later (weeks). I just don't want to wait until everything is ready and then make one upload for all the sets, never know what my future will bring me. So, this will give us a chance to use some models (props) earlier than others.
The 6th and final MFP1 set, the "Other" set, will be ready....ehem....when it's ready. ;), it will contain fences, walls, ruins, farm rubbish, hay and straw bales, silage bales, barrils and bale piles, Piquet piles (fence posts), Fuel tanks, abandonned machinery, feeders and water troughs.....and .....name it, it will be there, as long as you can find it on a farm!
But don't worry, there will be enough models (BATs) to keep all the farm (country) BATters busy for awhile..... ;)

Hope that everything turns out as I wish, depending at this moment a lot on my health conditions.

Fred

Have Fun with Nexis (since 2003)

mrbisonm

Update March 12th, 2018.

After my health started getting better and having rendered a few models of the siloset about a month or so ago, my gaming computer died after 16 years of service. The heart stopped but luckily left my HD's intact.
Then , with my friend that knows computers well, I took a whole day to go to Montreal and buy myself a new computer that should take care of my needs for gaming for the next 10 or more years, spending a almost 1500 $. My friend told me that this is a supermachine, giving me the power I could not have dreamed of 10 years ago.
So, we brought it back home last week, and my friend helped me to transfer all my gaming stuff from the old hd, some 480 Gb's. That took us a whole day too....geeez, I thought, I hope that all this will be worthwhile......
Then I started it up and wow, all my stuff was there.

So, I wanted to start rendering the siloset to get it behind me and.......it does not render.....simcity does not open, and so didn't half of my games...Where's the Fries? (next time we'll wash your mouth out with soap)!

All are present, all should work, but......I called my friend again and he came over yesterday to check this out.....Oh man, the computerworld is really f*cked up if you ask me. Most of my games and programs don't work because in this new computer it is windows 10.....oh my. Of course I thought, they did this so we (the consumers) have to buy new games, new programs etc.....again and again.
My old computer had windows XP and everything just worked fine with all my games and programs.

So....long thinking time......and a decision to make.....
Finally, I decided to delete the freaking windows 10 and install my XP. But this means I will have to re-install all my stuff from the old hd again too.....another day down the drain.:(
So, yesterday we deleted the new windows and finally installed the XP and got it running. Now the transfer of the gaming data will be done when my friend comes back on next saturday or sunday, and we'll see from there on.

I'll let you know what will happen. (so close to finishing the MFP1)

Have a nice week

Fred

kbieniu7

Nice to hear some news from you in this thread, Fred! However, quite sad that with a breakdown in the background.

I imagine that it must have been so annoying, not only to transfer the files, but to get around and make first step in a new "environment", just like moving in into a new home. Regarding the problem with old games, yeah, that's the issue that has been under discussion many times even at this forum, I believe. Especially with simcity4 CD version.

I had a similiar issue when I upgraded my computer last year and transferred to a new version of windows 7. SimCity didn't worked from the CD, so I decided to buy a digital version at Steam (for around 10€, I guess). Now it's working, fortunately.

I don't know how does it look like with windows 10, but I decided to have windows 7 for the same reason - I was afraid that many of older games would not work. Hopefully, all of those that I used to play, do work (i.e. Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004, The Sims 2, Tony Hawks 4), just SC4 was the issue.

By the way, at my friendly computer store, they managed to buy somewhere an used version of windows for me, that was previously used by a different company. Thank's to them I had a chance to get a legal live-long version of windows 7, with at least few years of system and security updates. Maybe your friend would know, if you could fetch one in a similiar way?
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Jack_wilds

Quote from: kbieniu7 on March 12, 2018, 12:06:27 PM
Nice to hear some news from you in this thread, Fred! However, quite sad that with a breakdown in the background.

I imagine that it must have been so annoying, not only to transfer the files, but to get around and make first step in a new "environment", just like moving in into a new home. Regarding the problem with old games, yeah, that's the issue that has been under discussion many times even at this forum, I believe. Especially with simcity4 CD version.

I had a similiar issue when I upgraded my computer last year and transferred to a new version of windows 7. SimCity didn't worked from the CD, so I decided to buy a digital version at Steam (for around 10€, I guess). Now it's working, fortunately.

I don't know how does it look like with windows 10, but I decided to have windows 7 for the same reason - I was afraid that many of older games would not work. Hopefully, all of those that I used to play, do work (i.e. Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004, The Sims 2, Tony Hawks 4), just SC4 was the issue.

By the way, at my friendly computer store, they managed to buy somewhere an used version of windows for me, that was previously used by a different company. Thank's to them I had a chance to get a legal live-long version of windows 7, with at least few years of system and security updates. Maybe your friend would know, if you could fetch one in a similiar way?

what he said and or this as well....   

I downloaded from amazon the sc4deluxe game in whole... no more disks...

KEEP more than one copy, and copies of all your other stuff on another hard drive for archieve and safe keeping... 

then all programs for sc4deluxe reset compatibility to XP by right click on icon properties/compatibility XP3 and also reset permissions  IF U R still on WIN10...

if U R returning to xp simply reset all to previous as yu had it before... prayers for a game and tools to function right...

trust you are mending well

stay blessed

mrbisonm

This is quite a hassle alright. At least now the computer is working fine and we will transfer all the files from the two hd's this coming weekend.
With Xp I hope all will be working as before.

I always keep copies of my hd on CD/DVD, but I don't make updates everyday though. So, even if the hd was dead, I would have most of it somewhere on a DVD, most likely less than 2 months old.
You understand it really did not worry me at all, since all my finished models are on a DVD, ready to render.

Fred

Jack_wilds

well...
alls good for the most part, concerning that...  :thumbsup:
keep getting better

FrankU

Well, yeah....
We heard this problem more often. That's why I always stick to a certain Windows version as long as possible.
This problem also occurs with hardware. I have done away a perfectly working scanner and an even better working Wacom Tablet, only because the companies did not bother to write a driver for the newer Windows version.

Concerning SC4 discs: I made a virtual CD-drive and an image of my game disc. The disc is in the storage since about 2008 and I play the virtual drive. On Win7. perfect!

So.... I wait for your files, Fred. Another couple of weeks won't hurt anybody.

fantozzi

First - I'm so glad you are better and again around with us here.

Second - a thought off topic (sorry for this). During the years I purchased very expensve studio software (I'm working for public radio) with DRM where you have to call a website (call) and you get (in resonse) a key only valid for the computer (key is build from several hardware features of the local machine). The company was destroyed by Apple (they destroyed a bunch of smaller manufactures of music production software), the websites to actvate the software is gone. Thanks to DRM, if my computer breaks I will loose in total ~10.000 EUR. And I won't be able tho invest this sum just to get the same I had before. Security copies won't help - as I had to get the exact same mainboard and harddisk etc. to make it work again.

If I hear of such stories like yours, it really frightens me. DRM based on CD/DVD wasn't the worst thing imho. Much worse is online activation through manufacturers website. It is a perfect way to whip out smaller companies from the market, to control what users use. While everybody trusts in MS online activation to work still tomorow, one gets sceptical to activate with a small company's website - will they still exist next year? Wouldn't need much bad mood to see a conspiration theory here: how to make software of competitors not work anymore and force users to use mainstream software only. Just buy the competitor and shut down his activation site so users can't use the software anymore.

Basically, when windows 7 support ends in 2 years, they can do the same. Just stop online activation and all your copies on cd and product keys are worthless - as you can't licence it for a new pc anymore. And when your old pc breaks ... you have to go back to XP and old DRM or you go ahead with next windows.

mrbisonm

ok....finally

I am relieved, greatly relieved. This was a fight to survive.
I had to ask my friend to help me out to install everything from the broken computer with winXP on my new one with win 10. Four weekends of trying and trying to make things work.<

Windows 10 is probably only good for something that came out lately, because we tried everything to make my games work and function properly on this that we got sick and tired of all this and installed Windows XP on the new Superputer of mine. Nothing to do.

SC4 doesn't function properly, nor does Civ III, Serfcity, TS2, not even Banished, nor Farmsimulator 2009 and many other games that I usually play. When we had one running, then others didn't anymore. Where's the Fries? (next time we'll wash your mouth out with soap)......This is a serious problem today. We always want something better, easier and newer (not only in computers) but actullay we do the contrary. Everything is more complicated and less good....quality is not important anymore, it must be done as quickly as possible to be able to sell it as low as possible and make as much money as possible......If you asked me, I didn't think the world has become an unreparable mess, no....it is way much more worse!

Anyways, we finished to install all the programs and games on the computer last night and did a lot of testing to see if this and that works and functions properly and ....wow.....it does. Only problem is that my Buddy told me not to call him again to help me out with Win 10......lol

So, I will have my last heart intervention later this week, just little things, and then next weekend I will do some darn serious rendering. Meanwhile I will have to tidy up my model folderS to make sure to render the good ones. ;)

Be back on the coming weekend...

Fred

brick_mortimer

Glad you got your new computer up and running.
And good luck with your upcoming heart intervention :thumbsup:

Quote from: mrbisonm on April 09, 2018, 12:52:33 PM
...nor does Civ III...
Ah, another soul who still plays Civ III in 2018  :bye:
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

mattb325

Glad to hear that the PC is up and running and (more importantly) your health is on the mend, too  :thumbsup:

You better let your local electricity company know that your about to chew up a lot of their juice with rendering such a huge backlog of models  :P

mrbisonm

Quote from: brick_mortimer on April 10, 2018, 01:01:47 PM
Ah, another soul who still plays Civ III in 2018  :bye:

Nothing like Civ III of the Civ series! It's another game that was heavily modded, just like SC4. I play it at least twice a week and with this new computer I will be able to play the max map size!

Quote from: mattb325 on April 10, 2018, 01:26:27 PM
You better let your local electricity company know that your about to chew up a lot of their juice with rendering such a huge backlog of models  :P

lol.... you might be right.

Fred

Simmer2

Hi Fred.

Glad to hear you are on the mend  :)

I may PM you soon regarding the specs on that new rig you have now.
It will be interesting to know what hardware these days still support XP because I may have to upgrade my system soon and I absolutely will not install Win10 on it. Even trying to find a virgin copy of Win7 32 bit is becoming quite hard these days.

2 weeks ago my old vid card (PCI 2.0 interface) died and I had a hard time finding a replacement due to everything now supporting PCI 3.0.

I found one and it has 4 times Vram but I find it slower than the old one. I think because XP is not capable of handling all the features available on the newer card.

Setting up a new rig with XP is like having a 90 year old driving a Ferrari  :D  But there is no choice :(

Cheers

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

mrbisonm

Quote from: Simmer2 on April 11, 2018, 09:58:53 AM
specs on that new rig you have now.

Here is what I know (not really a Pro in computer specs, don't even know where it is mentioned) But this written on its box.....

CPU: Intel Core i7
Graphic Card: NVIDIA Quadro K420 2 GB DVI + DP
RAM: 32GB

Storage: 1TB HDD

It is a Lenovo M900

....hope that helps... ;)

Edit: btw, the price was....ehem...expensive....lol

Fred