• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

City Sandbox

Started by catty, July 18, 2013, 10:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catty

Came across the City Sandbox at GamersGate, its a cartoony, side-view city builder, that allows players to create and destroy miniature 2D cities.

http://www.cardboardlemon.com/p/city-sandbox.html

It has two modes Classic and Sandbox

City Sandbox classic mode allows players to build and run a city with the challenge of resource requirements, population mood, and a start-up budget. If a player fails to build a profitable city with a peace level above -15%, they will ultimately lose. Strategic tips were posted on the developer's blog to help players develop a working approach, which encouraged players focus on placing residential buildings, and combat peace trouble by placing a slum structure to boost the population and "water down" civil disruption.

City Sandbox sandbox mode allows players to build and run a city with unlimited resources, money, and a neutral population. The technology level is also maxed out, unlocking all available buildings. It is not possible to lose the game. A city made in sandbox mode can not be loaded into classic mode.

It also some disasters:

Earthquake -- causes any number of buildings to suffer damage or collapse. After the initial earthquake, any number of smaller aftershocks can occur causing more damage. Cheaper buildings are more prone to damage. Once the alarms stop sounding in the game, the earthquake disaster is over and repair can begin. This is the most destructive disaster and it can occur randomly in classic mode, or it can be induced in the novelty tool menu (the dice button).

Asteroid -- An asteroid-turned-meteorite causes a rock to fall from the sky, sometimes large (causing widespread destruction from shock wave) or small (causing direct destruction on what it lands on). The meteorite can damage buildings if it touches them even before it has landed. The place in which it lands is random. An asteroid can occur randomly in classic mode, or it can be induced in the novelty tool menu (the dice button).

Riot -- a riot can occur only in classic mode, when the peace level falls below -15% or when power and water resources are strangled. A crowd of people will begin walking through the city at any random point with picket signs, randomly leaving a trail of rubbish that will further negate the peace level. The rubbish must be cleared using the demolition tool. A riot can occur each month, and can end up a costly expense if improperly handled, which can be a key factor in losing classic mode.

Cart derailment -- introduced in version 1.2.0, it is possible for carts (small gondola style vehicles) to derail from track. This happens when a player does not link two stations together (and instead creates a track to nowhere) or if the track gets damaged in another disaster.

The Building Types are residential, commercial, industrial, government, and decoration.

Residential buildings namely increase population and tax.

Commercial buildings increase tax and jobs.

Industrial buildings often have little tax increase, but they heighten the likelihood of the city increasing its tech level per month. Industrial buildings placed in bulk work effectively to promote tech levels.

Government buildings have a variety of structures that typically improve or negate peace, tax, and resources.

The decoration category contains flower beds, statues, fountains, and bigger decorations such as a Ferris wheel.

It also has something called Novelty Tools

The novelty tool menu (shown as a dice) contains playful tools that allow interaction with a city. The original version of City Sandbox included tools to induce disasters, as well as the following:

Melon Spawner -- allows the player to drop watermelons from the sky which can damage buildings. A cracked watermelon is also left behind, which can remain as a structure or be removed with the demolition tool.

Flying Bathtub -- the only controllable vehicle in the game, which allows the player to fly around the city skyline. If the player hits the ground, the vehicle explodes leaving behind "UFO wreckage" which can remain as a structure or be removed with the demolition tool.

NPC Inflator -- allows the player to tap on characters walking on the street to briefly cause them to float into the sky while screaming. The tool can also be used on rioting NPCs.

Divine Mission -- introduced in version 1.2.0, this tool lets you summon a holy figure that is reminiscent of Jesus. The character clears the streets of melons, crashed bath tubs, riot rubble, and derailed carts. The NPC can also turn water towers and pumps into giant wine glasses, which mimic the water output of the cheapest water tower building (a potentially negative effect if you have expensive water buildings).

I've only just started playing with it and so far am having fun, don't know if that will last once the novelty wears off

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Glazert

This is 2D as with the original SimCity? Is the map size similar? Can you make your own maps?

catty

I've no idea, I've just be playing around with the tutorials and also the city that comes with it, I can tell you its a bit like playing with an animated drawing of a city

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

catty

Sorry for the double post

Quote from: Glazert on July 18, 2013, 01:40:03 PM
This is 2D as with the original SimCity? Is the map size similar? Can you make your own maps?

Quote from: catty on July 18, 2013, 02:42:41 PM
I've no idea, I've just be playing around with the tutorials and also the city that comes with it, I can tell you its a bit like playing with an animated drawing of a city

There is only one map and three slots for saving a city, one of which is already used by the city that comes with the game, not sure how much space you have as it is the equivalent of playing with an animated drawing of a city - built on a very long narrow strip of land, a couple of pictures should give you an idea of what the game looks like

Building a Ferris Wheel

JUL130001 by SC4D_CATTY, on Flickr

starting to add buildings, etc

JUL130004 by SC4D_CATTY, on Flickr

So far its just a bit of fun which may or may not last very long, but as it only cost $5 dollars, even if I stop playing with it tomorrow I've still got my moneys worth from it.

-catty