• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GaryReggae's BAT Exhibition

Started by GaryReggae, February 18, 2007, 05:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryReggae

Hi there folks, just settled into this new forum and thought it was worth showing you all what I'm currently up to.

This is my main current project, in a relatively advanced stage although still lots to do.  I haven't finalised any of the textures yet.  It's a tyre factory that was located in Brynmawr, South Wales, I did have a go at it a few years ago but my BAT skills were less developed then and I now have some plans and elevation drawings so I can do the place far more justice although it won't be 100% accurate.  It's arguably the most stunning industrial building ever built in the UK and it is a crime that the authorities allowed it to be demolished, despite it being Listed.

At the top left of the image with the barrel-vaulted shell roofs is the 'Drug Room', where all the materials required to make rubber were prepared and combined, to the left under a second set of BV shell roofs is the milling room and at the bottom are offices, workshops and welfare facilities.  The jutting out sections of the office block facade contain cloakroom while the far right section of it contains the entrance lobby.  The building on the top-right on its own is the Boiler House.

Here's an internal pic of the main production floor:

Here's an aerial photo of the real thing:

I've also been working on this ASDA supermarket, for those of you not familiar with ASDA, they're one of the UK's largest supermarket chains and were taken over by Wal-Mart fairly recently.

callagrafx

QuoteIt's arguably the most stunning industrial building ever built in the UK and it is a crime that the authorities allowed it to be demolished, despite it being Listed.

Aha...Welcome from my part of the World (Wales)...Brynmawr is not too far from me (a couple of valleys over) but when it comes to the Welsh Assembly and their grand plans for the regeneration of Wales, "Listed" means bugger all.

I found this though, don't know if you have it or if it helps:

Good luck with it.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

vester

Hi GaryReggae. Welcome back from the real world. Nice to see around again.

That looks goooooood.

bat

Zaphod

that tire plant is amazing, even just partly done it looks way better than your first version
War Kittens !?

storms991

Hello, I'd just like to say your pictures were fabulous, and I'm happy your back :D

jayo

.great i like it.i could swear that this has been uploaded on the stex on simtrop.  /&HiPP/% ()lurker()lol.asdas coming on.nice to see you back
I'm back

storms991

rooker1

Wow, nice to see you here Gary.  I have used your old Tire plant in all my Mayor Diaries.  I really like huge industrial lots.  When this is updated, I'm sure to down load it.  I can't wait. :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

joelevan

toxicpiano

You're back!!!! ASDA!!! OMG!!!!
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

rooker1

I hope this project is still being worked on.  It would be a great loss if it wasn't.  I really like the tire plant as is, any further improvement would be outstanding.

Robin   ;)  &apls
Call me Robin, please.

Glenni

Please tell me one of my favourite BATters is still arround.. :'(

Yeah,sorry to bump, but heh i didn't see your thread until now. i thought you were forever gone since you stopped visiting Simtrop. Great to see you have shown you're still somewhat active (even though that was posted in feb) though :)

GaryReggae

Sorry folks, it's been absolutely ages since I've been here, RL and all that has been keeping me busy.  :(

I've got lots of buildings in various stages of development still but I have to say I haven't particularly made a lot of progress with many of them lately but I will try and get some stuff finished although I know I've said that before!!!

Projects in my portfolio include:

- Brynmawr tyre factory - structurally almost complete but needs interior detailing and texturing
- A new scrapyard
- BBC TV Centre (a cut-down version of the real thing) - needs rendering
- Unit 42: contemporary high rise residential apartments - needs detailing
- ASDA supermarket - nearly finished
- Various city centre High Street retail buildings
- A large office and print works complex (cannot be released until 2010/2011 when the real version is gone)
- Another seaside amusements/Bingo/leisure complex
- The Tricorn - huge Brutalist shopping centre
- Suburban shops
- A few pubs
- Primary school (typical 60s SCOLA design, closely based on my old school)
- Huge hospital (mega project in the early stages)
- Huge shopping centre old Bull Ring style

I am also planning a revamped version of my Police HQ (Arthur Flowers House) and Castleman House, an unreleased Brutalist office block that featured in some of my city journals.

I will try and get some of my old BATs uploaded here, I'm sure Barby can help me with that!  The lots will need re-doing as my original ones were created before all the new props and stuff were created.  I cannot release the Tax Office I'm afraid as the owner of the real building complained about it, despite the fact that it is very different and much smaller and you can see a much more accurate image of the site on Live Maps but once the real building is demolished in a few years time, there can be no objections!  The same applies to my award-winning Print Works BAT although if you want a copy, I can email either to you.

Certainly I am keen to get my Debenhams Department Store, Clarence Pavillion (Golden Horseshoe Amusements), Brutalist Museum, UK High Street 1 (McDonalds/ Nationwide etc) and perhaps some of my older BATs onto the LEX, providing they meet the standards.

I'm not sure which buildings I want to finish first so if anyone has any particular requests to prioritise one or the other, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

Wow.....this is really super news to hear that you are back, what a surprise.
&apls
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

BarbyW

Give me a shout when you are ready, Gary.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

GaryReggae

Thanks guys, Barby, I will contact you via MSN later on if you are around.

Actually, it seems I uploaded some of my BATs to the official SC4 exchange about four years ago - including that elusive tax office!  You can get them here: http://simcity.ea.com/exchange/lots/results.php?keywords=gaz2tonic&keyword_search=true

If the link doesn't work, search for username gaz2tonic

The BATs there are:

Tax office
Castleman House (I didn't think I had released that!)
Concrete multi storey car park & bus station
Modern museum
Salvage yard (a lot with some custom junk props)
Industrial waste transfer station (ditto)
Police HQ (Arthur Flowers House)
Print Works (oops, thought I'd deleted that!  Too late, 4,219 people have downloaded it, what a terrible shame!)
50s Department Store - a smaller and much less detailed version of my Debenhams Department Store
Millbrook Towers - the original low tech version of everyone's favourite Brutalist tower block
1960s shopping mall - I like the model for this but the textures are very plain.  One of my first BATs

I will get Barby to do new lots for the better buildings, as for the older ones, if there's enough demand, I'll 'refurbish' the BATs with new textures and better detailing and then re-release them (like I did with Debenhams and I am doing with the rubber factory now)

art128

your bats at the official SC4 exchange are really good &apls :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

metasmurf

It's nice to see that you're picking up BAT again. I love 60's architecture (actually, I live in an area built in the late 60's) and I hope you will bring us some more in the future!  :)