• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

True Earth

Started by korver, May 04, 2016, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyoungyn

Wow, words alone cannot describe the level of detail.  Completely amazing work &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

Alan_Waters

I run out of words to describe your adorable works. It is an art worthy of large exhibition grounds!  &apls &apls &apls

korver

- UPDATE 34: Greece - Part III -

Our tour of Greece begins with one of its most recognizable landmarks - the iconic windmills of Mykonos. Windmills used to be a defining feature of the Greek landscape - you could find hundreds of them dotting the various islands. Today, only a handful remain - and the ones in the best condition can be found on the island of Mykonos. Built back in the 16th century, they once harassed the powerful northern wind into grinding wheat. While no longer operational, they still serve as one of the most popular tourist attractions in the country.

We continue to tour the islands - this time, stopping in Crete and visiting its famous ruins of Knossos. Called "Europe's oldest city" - people once settled here as far back as 7000 BCE. The first major palaces were built back in 1900 BCE and became one of the greatest sights in the Mediterranean - it was far more complex and flamboyant than any of the other palaces in the region. Around 1700 BCE, massive earthquakes struck the region - initially destroying the palace. Over the next couple hundred years, the palace was destroyed and rebuilt a number of times, due to volcanoes, more earthquakes, and invaders - and was ultimately abandoned around 1375 BCE. While much of it remains in ruins today - there's still plenty to do and explore, making it another popular tourist destination.

We head to the mainland where we'll visit Greece's most famous landmark - the Parthenon. Part religious temple (dedicated to the goddess Athena) and part treasury - this iconic structure was built between 447 and 432 BCE and stands high over Athens, at the top of its monumental Acropolis. While the structure was in decent condition for many centuries - a Venetian siege back in 1687 caused much of the damage you see today, as nearly 700 cannonballs were launched into its famous columns.

We head further north, into the incredible landscapes of Meteora. Since the early 14th century, the local monks have been building monasteries high up on these steep rocks - there's really no other place like it on Earth. While most would associate Greece with the sea and sunny days - its not uncommon to see snow here, as the mountains will essentially block out gusts from the sea, causing massive temperature swings. No matter what time of the year you visit though - Meteora will still take your breath away.

We head back into the Aegean Sea to visit one of Greece's most beautiful islands - Santorini. A massive volcano blew the top off of this island back in 1646 BCE - drastically changing the look of the island and turning it into one of the most unique destinations in all of the Mediterranean Sea. Today, beautiful white villas flank the steep cliff sides - and the views from the top make for an unforgettable trip.

We head back south - making sure to stop at one of the most stunning ruins in all of Greece, the Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounion - located just south of Athens. The Ancient Greeks picked the perfect spot to honor their God of the Sea - the views of the ocean from here are absolutely incredible. Built back in 440 BCE, it was never fully completed - but still served as an important place of worship for many decades.

Our last stop is one of Greece's most beautiful and stunning destinations - Navagio Beach, located on the island of Zakynthos in the Ionian Sea. Back in 1980, the freightliner MV Panagiotis crashed into the beach after a night of stormy conditions - and it's been abandoned ever since, giving the beach its famous nickname of "Shipwreck Beach". Between the crystal clear water, pristine sand, and towering limestone cliffs - its a perfect place to spend the day.

Note: To make the Navagio Beach scene, instead of using a cliff mod - I ended up creating my own BAT to get the best result. If anyone is interested in the model and wants to try their hand with it - feel free to PM me  :)

-korver

---

Replies

Alan_Waters: Thanks again for the supportive comments! :)

dyoungyn: Thanks for the nice words! :)

vinlabsc3k: Thanks for stopping by - glad you liked it :)

Themistokles: Thanks for the comment ;D I have a lot of various projects I've been working on over the course of the year and I'm finally starting to put the finishing touches on them - hence all the updates right now.

vester: Thank you! Yeah, I'm planning on some proper releases of some stuff eventually - but I'm going to be really busy with my CJ here so it might take a little bit. In the meantime though - if there's anything in particular that you or anyone else is interested in, feel free to send me a PM :)

dyoungyn

Wow, just totally stunning. 

I have always loved the Mythological times of the Greeks not only during the Greek Gods time but also during the Roman occupation time frame.  It totally amazes me these temples are still standing in ruins due to man kind of destruction over land occupation.   

vinlabsc3k

Great update!! &apls &apls &apls

I was at these places:

My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

TheTeaCat

Astounding! Truly astounding!  &apls &apls

This is art. Pure and simple. Your pics just take my breath away.
I am lost for words, as every superlative has already been used I think (judging from previous comments).

I have shown these pics to people who have never played the game and their reactions match mine.

TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Themistokles

Risking it becoming something of a theme in my comments, I call this update

absolutely jawbreaking.

I wish I could go back to Greece.
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

korver

- UPDATE 35: Cephalonia: Introduction -

The Mediterranean is one of the world's most beautiful destinations - and Greece's Cephalonia is one of its most spectacular islands. Between the soft sand, crystal clear water, beautiful landscapes, and perfect temperatures - any trip here is truly unforgettable.

After previously exploring this theme earlier in 2016 - I've decided to expand on it quite a bit. I've detailed the remainder of the tile, covering every last bit of land with flora - and there's going to be a massive variety of new scenes to explore.

We'll get the five-part series started off by taking a look at one of the defining features of Greece - the Ionian Sea.

From there, it's off to the countryside to visit some of the beautiful farmland that covers the island.

We'll then visit one of the many charming villages that dot the landscape - Anomeria.

The fourth update will be a special one - a trip to Cephalonia's iconic Myrtos Beach.

We'll then wrap things up with one last trip through the countryside, along with some overviews of the entire tile.

With 100 pictures in total - it's going to be a truly incredible trip. We begin in a couple of days - you won't want to miss it!

-korver

---

Replies

dyoungyn: Thanks for the kind words! I definitely agree with you - ruins have always fascinated me (as evidenced by some of my previous updates.. :P) It's truly incredible that some of these structures have been standing for several millennia!

vinlabssc3k: Thank you! It's always cool when I recreate places that people have been to - I hope to make it there myself one of these days..  ;)

Alan_Waters: Thanks for the nice comment as always! :)

Simmer2: ευχαριστώ! :)

TheTeaCat: Thank you for the wonderful comment! It's really an honor to hear that about my work, I'm glad you enjoyed it so much  :thumbsup:

Themistokles: Thank you for the kind words! It looks like your wish is coming true - we're staying in Greece for a good while longer..  :P

tomvsotis

Quote from: TheTeaCat link=topic=17466.
I have shown these pics to people who have never played the game and their reactions match mine.

Just wanna echo this. My gf and I have been to Greece several times on holidays, and she was astonished by how accurately these pics represented its landscape!

kelis

Beautiful pictures as always !! It would be nice to jump and swim in one of those fantastic waters  &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

carlfatal

After a time of absence I needed days to look at all the pictures in all these breathtaking updates of your´s. And as there simply is no word to describe, how accurate, how patiently puzzled your work here is, or how much knowledge and abilities were needed to achieve these scenes, I stay with a simple "wow".

I also showed picture of your MD to people off of the SC4 community, and all of them considered your work as pure art, not as part of a game. I definately would like to hear, what some Will Wright would have to say, if he would have a look into here!  ;D

Thank you for sharing this to us!  &apls

Alan_Waters

When do you find time? This is very scrupulous work!
As always - delicious! &apls &apls &apls

Themistokles

My wish might have come true, but now I want to go to Greece even more :P (even though, from a travelling perspective, I am actually more fond of northern and central Greece and not so much the Aegean islands; no doubt, the look spectacular though)

Yet, I continue to wonder, how many MILLENNIA does that take to make with all those mmp's? I'm like dead after a hundredth of that amount and I still think I do quite a lot of mmp'ing $%#Ninj2

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

korver

- UPDATE 36: Cephalonia (Waterside) -

It's impossible to imagine Greece without the sea - so it's only fitting that we start our tour of Cephalonia with some scenes from the surrounding Ionian Sea. Thousands of years ago, Greek fleets once crossed these waters, engaging in massive wars. While things may be quite a bit different these days - the sea still remains vital. From enjoying a day out in the sun to taking your boat out on a cruise - this is one of the most picturesque locations in the entire Mediterranean.

We begin with one of the many campgrounds that overlook the water here. It's difficult to imagine a more beautiful location.

Hot air balloons are one of the best ways to view the island - the views from above are simply incredible.

For those seeking a thrill - hang gliding is a popular activity throughout the region!

While whale spottings are rare in this part of Greece - if you keep your eyes out, you just might get lucky and spot a few.

Early mornings on the beach are spectacular. Quieter crowds and beautiful golden sunrises make this a great time to visit.

Even in misty weather - the landscapes here are magical.

The only concern might be the occasional rain shower..

If hang gliding wasn't enough adventure - you can also try out paragliding.

With landscapes this stunning and crowds growing in the summer months - one hot air balloon might not be enough.

The steep roads here that overlook the ocean offer some truly incredible views.

The surrounding farmland of Cephalonia is just as beautiful - and it's where we'll be headed to next.

-korver

---

Replies

tomvsotis: Thanks - glad you two enjoyed it! :)

kelis: Thanks for the comment and kind words!

carlfatal: Thanks for stopping by! I really appreciate the nice words - glad you liked it :)

Alan_Waters: Thanks for the comment! The key has really been better time management - I could have done better in that department in 2016 so I made that my number 1 priority this year :)

Themistokles: Thank you! For the most part, I try to work at a brisk pace - and if I find any mistakes with the MMPs or anything that needs perfecting, I'll deal with that later on :P

Themistokles

Those winding roads are just magical. I love how the roadsides blend into the landscape so evenly and naturally.

manga rivotra

I disconnect just 2 weeks and I miss 7 incredible update !  ::)
I do not think I have seen since I have consulted this site since its beginnings, a member as productive and talented.  :o
Once again dozens of pictures really sumptuous and a talent that is growing more and more in the "bating".
The Chouara Tannery in Fez and your African rural houses, specifically that of Ganvie, are remarkable, and as always MMPs are so well used that I can no longer even recognize them :
I just admire a perfect reproduction, each pics !  &apls &apls &apls
I sincerely hope that you will never have a problem of hosting for your images because they deserve to be seen and seen again for years.
Thank you for this great work and the various Bat and textures you have share.  :thumbsup:

korver

- UPDATE 37: Cephalonia (Farmland) -

One of the most beautiful sights in all of Cephalonia are the many rural farms that flank the hillsides. Despite Greece being infamously poor for farming (in ancient times, they would actually import many of their crops from other countries such as Egypt due to poor soil conditions) - conditions are just good enough here that a number of crops are able to grow. It's a simple beauty that makes it so special, one that has lasted for thousands of years.

Small farmhouses like this one dot the landscape - with olives, wheat, and grapes being vital crops.

In springtime, the blooming flowers put on a beautiful display - complimenting the natural beauty of the region.

Sunsets here are quite magical.

The Ancient Greeks needed a crop that would grow on the rough, rugged hillsides. That crop was olives - and these groves have dotted the Cephalonian landscape for thousands of years.

Today, Greece is the world's third largest olive exporter - for many here, getting a good harvest is crucial.

The rural roads here are quite beautiful. Surrounded by rows of cypress trees and endless fields - there's not many drives out there that can compare.

Finding them is quite rare - but the occasional sunflower patch makes for a beautiful contrast of colors.

The long abandoned farmhouse..

When viewed from above - you can really get a complete grasp of how beautiful Cephalonia is and everything it has to offer.

-korver

---

Replies

Themistokles: Thanks for the kind words! :)

manga rivotra: Thanks for the praise, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've been moving at a brisk pace lately and I still have many updates to go - so be on the lookout ;) Hopefully, I'll find some time here eventually to release some of the BATs I've been working on too.

vinlabsc3k

:o :thumbsup:
As always a MMP masterpiece.
They look like paintings!!
I can't imagine the size of your plugins folder. ???

&apls &apls &apls &apls
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!