• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Commonwealth of Marathon

Started by thundercrack83, November 05, 2008, 02:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbieniu7

Nice to see next steps  :thumbsup: Another tip would be to use flex-fly-overs, so you could compact the entire interchange by placing a MIS-curve just aove the lower carriageway ;) They're for MIS and RHW-4, as far as I remember.
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

tooheys

Well, well, well. Stick my head in to see whats up at SC4d and what do I find, an old master back at it again. :thumbsup: Great to see you still have the bug Dustin. May have to have another go myself. Now where did I put that CD.  &mmm

thundercrack83

Cedric (Badsim): Hello, my friend! It's always great to have you here in Marathon! Believe me, I wish I had the patience and skill that you should on a constant basis here! Hope to see you again soon!

kbieniu7: I think I know what you mean! Check out below! Thank you for your help!

David (tooheys): Hello, old friend! Great to see you back and thanks for stopping by. Now go find that CD!

OK, so I am getting the hang of things just enough to become incredibly dangerous with the RHW...

I have to admit that the RHW is addicting, now especially that I'm understanding things more and more.

As always, if you have any tips or tricks, or something I'm doing doesn't look right, please let me know!

noahclem

Quote from: thundercrack83 on March 10, 2018, 01:58:22 PMI have to admit that the RHW is addicting, now especially that I'm understanding things more and more.

I know exactly what you mean :D It was a while ago now but I vividly remember both how incredibly frustrating and exciting it was to figure out how to use RHW. Once I got into it...I just couldn't really stop  $%Grinno$% You're city-building style, along with promising developments already, suggest exciting things to come--you may end up having to change you're replies banner!

For suggestions, the biggest thing I would recommend is increasing your use of FARHW to smooth things out to the maximum and increase aesthetic appeal a little. And it's a matter of taste, but I'd suggest lengthening the ramps on the regular diamond interchanges, both because they tend to be a little longer in real life and because that will make them look more in place alongside those complex, monster interchanges. Best of luck and keep up the great work  &apls

thundercrack83

Noah (noahclem): Thank you so much for your input, my friend! And you're definitely right about the banner, I may have to put a new one together!

UPDATE LVIX
The Clear Ringing of Silver Asphalt Trumpets
21 March 2018

Just a quick look at some new RHW stuff...

More to come!

PaPa-J

I think you do great work with the RHW. Unfortunately I am still trying to figure out how it all works.  I can't seem to figure out how to get them to connect together.  Love what you are doing.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

thundercrack83

A quick region view of where the RHW is getting placed in Marathon thus far...

Making more progress!

Ryan B.

Dustin, I know it's been years . . . but my offer to make signs for Marathon stands.  Let me know what you might be looking for, and I'm happy to do my best.

I'm trying to ease my way back into BATing and SC4 overall - what better place to start than an outstanding MD?

PaPa-J

Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

thundercrack83

Only about nine hours away here in the Eastern United States! Just teasing some happenings in Marathon for 2020...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

art128

Nice to see you're still doing some sc4 stuff here and there. Looking forward to what you have in store for us. :)

Happy New Year as well.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

thundercrack83

UPDATE LX
A New Day
2 April 2020

Hello!

Well, 2020 seems to be off to a less than desirable start. I hope everyone is safe and healthy! Working from home has provided me with some extra time to get into Marathon a bit, so I finally completed the rather massive undertaking I alluded to on New Year's Eve...

Before...

This is Marathon Island, circa 2017. 18 medium tiles, with Maxis highways throughout. Now...

Marathon, 2020! I rebuilt the entire island from scratch on 6 large tiles rather than 18 medium. The main reason for that is, as you can see, I also re-constructed the highway using the RHW.

Here are the traffic views...

You can see the dramatic effect the RHW has on the island, in a good way, I believe. As I continue rebuilding things, I will be posting here, so keep an eye out if you'd like to follow along!

See you soon!

art128

Hehe, yeah RHW takes considerably more space than the maxis highway... But the result looks much better honestly.

Props & Texture Catalog

bladeberkman

Wow! You scrapped the entire region and started over? Huge undertaking. Looks like you're mastering the RHW. Eager to see some closeups soon. You were an early inspiration for me when I first discovered SC4Deviotion, so I'm eager to see what you have in store for us.  :popcorn:

thundercrack83

Halfway through the month of April already?!!? Working from home has really thrown my internal clock way off...

Anyway, just thought I would stop in and give a quick before and after a section of Marathon Island...

Before...

...and after!

Some areas are really starting to come together, I think, and it's actually a lot of fun re-visioning areas after seeing it one way for so long.

Stay tuned for more!

thundercrack83

Greetings!

So, it seems that I've run into a little hiccup while rebuilding. When I attempt to go into underground mode, or place a subway station or something that triggers underground mode, strange things happen.

This...

Becomes this!

If anyone could help point out the culprit on this, I would greatly appreciate it! It's only happening to lots I create in the LE.

Many thanks in advance!

art128

Could be wrong but do you have a "z-data view" file (something like that) in your NAM plugin folder? Try to remove it to see.

Props & Texture Catalog

YouBet

I sometimes get that effect when the lots are modded without base textures (particularly when they have overlays without base textures). When i change the zoom the lots reappear as intended.

thundercrack83

Hello!

Hope everyone is doing well! Just a few quick shots of a renovated area, as I am rebuilding and revamping Marathon Island. This is the area surrounding Station Cymraeg (Welsh Station)...I'm not sure if I've ever shown that area before here; I'll have to look around for a comparison picture.

See you all soon!

thundercrack83

UPDATE LXI
Nouvelle Abitibi Square
22 July 2020

Hi!

I can't believe how time is flying, July is almost over already...I hope everyone is safe and well; I continue to work from home while the United States is still in the throes of the pandemic.

But! It's given me the opportunity to work on Marathon a whole lot more (despite the fact that I haven't posted any of the progress here and, for that, I am sorry!). So, I decided to stop in and document a bit of the "re-Marathoning" that I've been doing.

Some of you will remember the pre-2020 Abitibi Square...

Well, I've placed the lots in the "new" Marathon. They're in the same configuration, it's just that the surrounding area is much different, and there's been some addition. Take a look...

The core of the area is still the same lots in their previous locations, but I removed the park area with the observation wheel (I feel like that would be better suited in a different place in the city). Also, I've added some taller buildings to surround the area to make it more of an area of importance, if that makes sense.

In addition, I've branched off the main area...

And, as you will see below, there is some more expansion that is in the planning stages, as well. Previously, the area where expansion is heading was not available, as it was part of a different city tile in the "old" Marathon.

Lastly, a night time shot with all the building shining brightly in the darkness!

We'll visit here again when the expansion plans are finalized and construction begins.

See you soon!