• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

And now for something completely different : Altensimmen in Sims 3 - Update 17

Started by carlfatal, June 04, 2014, 03:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Hello! :)

Decided to comment now as I've got a clear idea of the work you're doing. :)

I have to say it's impressive. I've always wanted to be able to move freely around the cities I created.
Good work with the different buildings. The mayor office is very nice and I'd see myself live in that one room last floor. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

catty

Quote from: romualdillo on August 13, 2014, 08:54:11 AM
...Does anyone know where can I get similar cars for SC4? I mean atomatas and props... I've searched a lot, but I couldn't find anything similar...

I like your pictures a lot, Catty!!

Thanks, as for the cars my first reaction was to pop over here

http://www.props.freeservers.com/

and see if there was any old-style vehicles available, looks like the oldest is 1960s, have taken a quick look over at Simtropolis and found these

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21206-1926-cadillac-blue-limousine/

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21203-1926-cadillac-limousine/

They both reference gizmo's vehicle props over here

http://gizmo.aplaceforwebsite.com/

But apart from a couple of old trucks in it, I can't see anything really old in it.

-catty

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Sim.Rico

Wow! I am just now discovering your work!  Those cars especially the blue caddy will fit WELL in Peyton Place!   my cities are currently in the year 1954! (same RL month and date but year is fictioned)   Cant wait to get my downloads!

catty

Quote from: Sim.Rico on August 13, 2014, 04:29:15 PM
Wow! I am just now discovering your work!  Those cars especially the blue caddy will fit WELL in Peyton Place!...

I'm just a visitor here, its carlfatal you should be thanking as its his SIMs3 MD

:)

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

carlfatal

Heya Devoties!
only a small teaser today, I hadn´t the time for more. There is Sims 4, where I am sticked into, there is RL and eventually I am playing this Sims 3 game too...  $%Grinno$%
But at first - answers!

@compdude 787,
thank you! I hope to see you again in Altensimmen!  :)

@Jmouse,
It´s the nature, why I am addicted to this game. If water or plants or paints also, it gives a lot of abilities to create wonderful scenes. I even have to stop me from cluttering around... $%Grinno$%

@catty,
yeah, and I forgot something important though.. the hedge has no ground beneath, I forgot the painting here...  ???
The details, - Sims is a wonderful dollhouse...  :thumbsup:

@vortext,
I think, there is some custom content making trouble. Things like this can be so annoying here. There is such a big amount of custom content, different to SC4 the community is splitted into thousends of sites. Conflicts, corrupt files, not updated files - the number of problems can be enormous...
But thanks for the nice comment, and like I said before - nature details are well designed in Sims 3 (at least this feature didn´t fail complete).  ;D

@romualdillo,
thank you! At first I thought It should be a cloister for monks. But now, small like it is, I would say - six or eight nuns would run the place perfectly.  $%Grinno$%
But all thoughts are off the players here, I only do the shell. You can convert it into a library for example or into some kind of community center.
The cars, catty gave the links, thanks to her!  :thumbsup:

@art128,
Thanks a lot Arthur, I love your work and would have written a comment, if I would have seen all the pages I missed in two and a half years! I am still half way through... $%Grinno$%
Quote from: art128 on August 13, 2014, 09:01:17 AMThe mayor office is very nice and I'd see myself live in that one room last floor. :)
Yeah! I really forgot to - at least - place a sleeping bag here. The perfect place above...  :P

But I have not answers only, and although these pictures now do show an unfinished spot, I have to admit, that the complete quarter isn´t final. The corner here seems to be the most difficult part of my town, I am still not happy with it.
Here Sims 3 isn´t as nice as SC4, I have to rebuild the buildings every time I change lot sizes. The cloister - I really do not count the attempts anymore. But I think, these pictures are another example, how I find my way to the "ideal" of a Hessian town.  $%Grinno$%

here the newest one after destroying some parts and starting with the left part:

From west:

From southeast:

No windows, no details, only again a try to find a solution. But I need some time here, I want a solution, that convinces me.

I hope, you liked this "how I develop, and how brainburning this can be" update.

catty

Its nice to see the planning stages, and shows how much work goes into doing this   :thumbsup:

Jmouse

I always like to see some background – some insight into how players get from point A to Point B. There will always be some restrictions with city building games of course, but still, there are as many ways to play the game as there are players. It will be interesting to see what direction you take from here.

noahclem

Wonderful work on your unique project here  &apls  I had a chance to catch up on the last couple months work today and really enjoy what you've done. The level of detail must be great to work with and you've taken full advantage of it in adding all the beautiful details to your buildings and natural scenes. Keep it up  :thumbsup:

carlfatal

Heya!

Today I show another special series. But like always, answers first:

@catty,
thank you!  :)

@Jmouse,
thanks you too!  :)
Quote from: Jmouse on August 20, 2014, 03:30:37 PM

...but still, there are as many ways to play the game as there are players. It will be interesting to see what direction you take from here.
Indeed, a game starts to get my interest, if there are possibilities to customize it to my likes. If I can make MY game from a bought one.  ;)

@noahclem,
thanks for the kind comment.  :)
A unique project? I am not sure. Here - at SC4D, yes, - and there are not many people, who like to build landscapes in this detail focussed style, but some do. Look out for Nilxis´ creations, a sixteen years old boy, who build sceneries I love to look at.  :o

So, now to the update. Like I said, I was playing also, but after all my sims got sick with a deadly desease (yeah, this can happen, cause they got lost on a small island and no hospital exists there), I returned to my town.  $%Grinno$%

This cloister - I think the hardest step here is done. I changed some parts again, but after building the first "dummies" around (and luckily I could place two of my saved buildings on the new lots too), it now looks okay with this place in front of the cloister.

This was the school at the old place:

And here I started to rebuild it on a bigger lot with modern parts in the back (but the main building at the street is still the old one:

The reason to rebuild everything is the sloped terrain here:

The cloister and surrounding houses now: 

another view:

And from the street:

The next two pictures were made in the CAW. So you can see the complete layout with lot borders. I had to redo the most streets here, and some of the terrain.
CAW1:

CAW2:

AND a small excursion today: I found some older pictures again. These are not related to Altensimmen, they show one lot of the previous project, Simhausen, a small village with - yes - framework houses built in Sims 2. But I was so happy to find them again, and this small car repair shop is a good example, what I like to do with these games.
Sims 2 has much more possibilities to build, and aside from the fact, that I cannot recolor objects here, - with the right custom content it can look nice (or dirty like here).

I hope you like it. Seeya soon.

Jmouse

I'm so glad you shared your Sims2 photos. When I saw the first one, I thought it was a RL scene for a moment until I noticed the game interface. I especially like the cobweb in #9 – what a nice touch! The special effects are quite stunning. I love the textures on everything – they give an overall effect of the kind of dirt and grime one would expect to see around an old auto repair shop.

I'll be coming back to take a closer look at these photos, although I'm not sure things like this can be duplicated in the BAT. I guess they could if a person was fortunate enough to find the right kind of textures, and creative enough with PhotoShop to make it happen. #17 caught my eye, too - the contrast between the grimy interior and the flowers outside is jaw dropping.

You've done an excellent job of creating a certain atmosphere and reinforcing it through every scene. Thanks again for sharing these.

catty

Ditto on everything Jmouse said, in addition really liked seeing some animal life, the birds, the cat   ()stsfd() in picture 6 and the dog in picture 7 it just adds something and gives it less a still-life portrait look but more a snapshot from a camera type thing

-catty

jmsepe

OMG. Thanks Catty for the link. This is one hell of an marvelous project. I am running out of works to describe how awesome this is.
Just wandering around like a teddy bear running around the garden. :P

"The greatest things in life are those that we have deemed unexpected yet are worth it."  - Anonymous

carlfatal

Heya Devoties,

This update seems to be small, but I hadn´t that much time to build, and also the developing process isn´t that easy, cause the most lots here are very small. Another reason is the fact, that I´ve got Sims 4 for free to write some review.
To be honest: I´ll stay with my older games. The new sequel isn´t that bad, not that kind of fail, EA had to face with SC2013, but it can´t really compete with part 2 or 3 in my view.

Like always, I thank for the nice comments.  :)
I am very happy, that these old pictures were to your like. Funny is, that I opened Sims 2 a week ago. The most houses of the village, where this gaz station is situated, are finished or not far away from it.
The animals in these scenes are deco objects only. I have no player characters for this town, no dogs, no cats. But I was able to use these objects instead to create something, that works on pictures. Deco like the cat or the different birds aren´t made for gameplay. But they are useful, if people write graphic novels or create lifelike scenes.

So, but back to topic: this update contains two parts. First I finished the school, these pictures are shown first. With this landmark I had a point, how to begin.
The second series shows pictures, how it looked yesterday evening.

The school:

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

11:

12:

13:

14:

The second part:

1 (the cloister is mostly done):

2:

3:

4 (again dummies to start with):

5 (new patterns used for an abandoned farm building here):

6:

7:

8:

9 work in progress:

I hope, you like it.  :)

romualdillo

I love the school!!!  &apls  It has really a German taste, specially the modern part. (I don't know why, but this is my feeling).  The work on the basements is nearly perfect!!! The cloister looks great too. I want to see how are you going to finish it, specially the courtyard and the church. Keep the good work!!!  :thumbsup:

catty

Love the school and think pictures 3 and 4 really show what you can do in Sim 3, the little touches are great like that broom you have propped up against a wall in picture 7    :thumbsup:

Jmouse

The school looks great, in part because it's a departure from what I've been used to seeing in Altensimmen. I like #4 – having a dumpster among the gorgeous trees and flowers is so realistic. I like the brick textures, too. I also like #13. When I first saw it, I felt like I was looking through the door of a real school over the weekend. I really like the gray house in #7 part 2 as well. I'm going to guess that it isn't quite finished, but I love the shape of it. I really hope you continue to show us your work – the texturing and details are awesome.

sim_link

Fantastic past few updates! I really like the look of that garage you have in TS2, stunning realism. :) And I love the look of the school, you really capture the old-school school (hehe :P) and the modern addition tie in well, looks like a lot of modern examples of the samething in RL. Look forward to more, everything is shaping up nicely!

deora

Wow,sweet new update Carl.Of course i still remeber that Gas Station/Garage thingy which you made in Sims 2 and i`m still amazed by that natural worn look and of course the cool Gas Station Roof.That`s so Mid Century like.
About your TS 3 School:This one really looks great,remembers of the bigger School across the street from my elementary school.Besides that,it`s a classic german old school like you can find almost everywhere in god ol G.
A large facade,massive Mansard Roofs and of course the modern addition which was often expanted one or two more times.

Aaron Graham

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog