• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Off-topic posts from prop pox thread

Started by Andreas, March 01, 2009, 06:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas

Well, first of all, I am very sorry to bring up a personal issue into this thread, but I think it is appropriate in this case, so everyone becames aware of this issue. To make a long story short, I dared to stand up against PEG yesterday by claiming that his Maxis prop modding was inappropriate, and suggesting that he should fix the issue, regardless if it actually was responsible for the prop pox or not. I also corrected him in his assumption that the DBPF files are in XML format, which are clearly not (both mine and Warrior's posting that tried to explain this were deleted).

PEG actually sent me a message that he deleted my posting, but what he didn't tell me was that he removed my admin priviledges on his site. Today, I decided to step down from my duties, posting a lengthy message where I explained that he seriously hurt my confidence in him, and I also posted an explanation of another example of bad modding.

To make a long story short, as soon as PEG visited his forum today, the posting was removed and I was banned immediately. I'm still waiting for a reply from him. Fortunately, I made a screenshot of everything I wrote, and I also sent it to some of the regular members in the first place, so they would see it even when PEG was deleting it right now. I've uploaded the screenshot to SimCityPlaza, so you all can have a look (sorry, it's a bit long)

Immediately after removing said posting, I got banned - I even was able to capture the exact moment when PEG was editing the ban list. For your amusement, please see yourself:

I was reluctant to post this information here, as it doesn't have anything to do with the prop pox per se, but it clearly shows that PEG is acting beyond all rationality, wildly banning respected people of the community, including BarbyW, RippleJet, Diggis, and many more. I'm sad to see that he chose that way, but on the other hand, I'm glad to know that he finally showed his true face to myself, of whom he always talked in a respectful manner - until today.

EDIT by Andreas: Blurred other IP adresses for privacy reasons.
Andreas

tahill79

andreas
i agree that maybe a warning or something else shoulda happend or atleast a PM that you were gonna be demoted.  ppl tend to do things outta anger quicker that they would if they werent annoyed.  

mod edit: watch the language, this site is read by minors.

sorry.  you get used to other sites and forget rules for others.

can we please find a solution to a rare problem that almost never exists?  we are all tied in together by SC4.  ive never had this happen but  a very few others have.  lets fix the problem and keep playing SC4. 

thank you.

BarbyW

tahill79, SOME of us are trying to find a solution but others deny the problem exists or by making completely erroneous claims. I'm sorry but you need to post this plea elsewhere.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Andreas

Well, I can just hope that nobody believes the blatant lies that PEG was posting shortly ago (see screenshot below, courtesy by someone who isn't banned there yet). I didn't think that PEG could sink as low as that, but he did it yet again.  ::) Anyway, enough of that matter, hopefully, I didn't bring the prop pox research to a grinding halt with this. If I did, I apologize.

Andreas

callagrafx

To ban one of the longest serving, most respected members of this community is simple hysteria and a drowning man grasping at straws.  Andreas, the reaction to your post, which was reasoned and contained valid data, is about all we can expect of someone so narcissistic that instead of engaging with the community, he starts character attacks on individuals and the BSC without reason....we can pity him, but I for one will never trust, nor install, anything that comes from his computer ever again, it's just not worth the risk.  Too many times he has accused the BSC, without foundation, of having an "agenda" and going on witchhunts....Now I shall set the record straight.  Not once have I ever, ever, witnessed a "call to arms" to gang up on Pegasus or any other member of the community to "enforce the BSC's will".  There is no such will.  The BSC was founded to provide assistance, support and quality assurance to custom content, as we could not depend on the official exchange to be bug or virus free.  This ethos holds true today as members continue to help each other and any other member of the community who asks for it.  People who go through the LEX candidacy process are taught, if they do not know, how to modify their work so it is accurate and will add to your game, not take away from it.

edit...just read that post and if you were not still an admin, you would not have access to IP addresses, yet they are clearly displayed on one of your screenshots.  Does he really think we just fell out of the trees?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Jonathan

Quoteedit...just read that post and if you were not still an admin, you would not have access to IP addresses, yet they are clearly displayed on one of your screenshots.  Does he really think we just fell out of the trees?

Sorry I just have to post, that's pretty hilarious, what a mistake!!!, and what luck Andreas screenshooted it ;D

Really want to PM him about that,

Jonathan

vab423

Quote from: callagrafx on March 01, 2009, 10:44:57 AM
edit...just read that post and if you were not still an admin, you would not have access to IP addresses, yet they are clearly displayed on one of your screenshots.  Does he really think we just fell out of the trees?

Cal, not sure which shot you were referring to, but I believe users can see their own IP addresses, as can moderators.  Therefore, if you are referring to Andreas' screenshot of his own post, it's not implausable to be able to view the IP address.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

Andreas

Quote from: vab423 on March 01, 2009, 05:22:51 PM
Cal, not sure which shot you were referring to, but I believe users can see their own IP addresses, as can moderators.  Therefore, if you are referring to Andreas' screenshot of his own post, it's not implausable to be able to view the IP address.

Actually, no. I still had acces to the admin panel two days ago. PEG's claim that I had been cut off from there a long time ago is a blatant lie. I do have a screenshot that I got from my browser cache that is clearly showing this.
Andreas

tahill79

wow thanx vab i thought this was dead here but here you come in with your prod gettn everyone fired up again.  andreas i think if i remember right that Peg said that your admin abilities had been scaled back not taken away.  he just made it permanent when you jumped on the forums over there like you did.  i think it all started last year about the same time when the seaport controller fiasco started......

BTW does any one notice that its been almost a year ago since that happend?  coincidence?  jk.  dont want banned from here. 

again stay on topic and fix this minor flaw in the game so WE all can move on please.  i wisht i could help but i dont have that knowledge into how the game works.  just a player.

Andreas

Well, there are exactly two people who know this for sure - PEG and me. Obviously, it's up to you to which one you assign more credibility.

Anyway, back to topic, this thread is about fixing the prop pox, and hopefully, we can fix this issue once and for all with the help of the community. :)
Andreas

callagrafx

Quote from: vab423 on March 01, 2009, 05:22:51 PM

As others have stated, SMF displays IP addresses for all members if you have admin status.  Each member can see their own IP address, but not anyone elses...it simply displays as "logged".  There is nothing in the permissions setup that allows for anyone below admin to see IP addresses.  Pegasus has been caught in yet another lie, trying to pour scorn on one of the community's longest serving and highly respected members....please don't stoop to his level, I'm sure you are better than that.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

RippleJet

Just to straighten things out, this is the screenshot Lee is referring to, where Andreas could see the IP addresses of everyone that was logged in on SimPeg, up till the very moment when he was banned:

EDIT by Andreas: Blurred other IP addresses for privacy reasons.

Andreas

Thanks for cleaning up the "Prop Pox" thread, I really should have posted in a separate thread. I am always so hesitant to start a new thread, so I'm trying to find existing ones that seem to be appropriate.  &ops

Anyway, I didn't want to see my efforts going to waste, so I created a new thread ( ;) ) with my tutorial that got deleted from PEG's place yesterday, which hopefully one or another might find useful in order to identify and remove possible bugs in the Mayor Mode Ploppables that he has installed. You'll find the tutorial here: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7118.msg226724#msg226724
Andreas

nerdly_dood

It really is a shame that someone I thought was one of the most skilled SimCity modders made so many simple mistakes, such as with the tree controller file and the aforementioned beach files - neither of which had I found necessary to download before I learned of their imperfections. It's surprising that he overreacted so strongly to Andreas' recommendations about how to create certain custom content without causing such problems as the "Prop Pox."

I have seen no explicit evidence, and very little implicit evidence, of any sort of "agenda" that BSC has to advance its own interests. All I've ever seen is that BSC does its best to crank out the highest quality custom content possible and provide support for users of its products.

I understand that Andreas and many others are indignant at peg's response, and I agree with many of them, but I think it'd be best to just avoid peg products since they seem to be unreliable and get on with life.

And one side note: I've noticed that wherever someone has typed the word "peg" in a post that was removed from the Prop Pox thread, [edit: or any other post in this thread for that matter] that word has been turned into a link to the Prop Pox thread... &Thk/( Another edit: I've also noticed that when someone has edited their post, they get a doubled-up URL code.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Jonathan

QuoteAnother edit: I've also noticed that when someone has edited their post, they get a doubled-up URL code.
Yes that is hyper-annoying :)
Hopefully Jeronij will fix it (not meaning remove it)

EDIT: Didn't come out exactly how I wanted so I'll just delete it ;)

Jonathan

BarbyW

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

callagrafx

Pat

oooh crap now we got the forum pox's  :D :D :D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

callagrafx

Only if you invoke certain terms....best not to do that, to avoid a nasty rash  :D :D :D

Pat

I aint going there with my medical mind lol hehehee  :D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie