• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Sam plays Shosaloza

Started by sam, December 20, 2006, 03:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam

Thanks for all the comments. I haven't done a proper City Journal for a long time.

I should probably have shown a "before" image of the dam area:

I left the grid on to give some idea of scale. I actually had to do very little terraforming. As you can see the area was very flat before I started. I assume there may have been a lake or dam here on the original DEM data.

The only thing needed was a straight edge made for each of the hydro dams, some micro terraforming for the walls and a deepening of the channels for the water falls.

The area would have been perfect for RCI development but it was also the perfect place to try something new. The dam won.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the power from the dam down from the mountains to the industrial and residential areas, without putting powerlines everywhere.

I was remiss last night and didn't put in the credits that were due. (It was after 1 am here when I posted). I apologise for that.

Colyn - for the Katze dam lots. Hydro-electricity is something I have really missed from the previous versions of Sim City. Thank you for making these beautiful models and lots. Thanks also goes to Pegasus I believe, for creating custom hydro-electric lots and models in this style, and for some of the other water lots used here.

Tutorials and waterfall effects - Jeronij and Dedgren

Sorchin - for the mayor mode ploppable water and some of the rocks and flora

Jeronij, Sorchin, Gizmo and others for the mayor mode trees and rocks

Dedgren and Citynut - for some of the water lots used here.

I plan to put some recreational lots on and near the dam - fishing, boating, camping etc. I just have to get some roads and other development going nearby first.

mattb325

Sam - that dam..let me tell you, damn fine (pun intended). It sits so well in its surroundings and the walls blend in perfectly. Bravo indeed &apls!!!!!

bat

sebes

Girl, you Rock. It is indeed a very natural place for a dam... that makes it so damned realistic (to speak in choir with Matt). Class A. &apls
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Alfred.Jones

You did a very good job with that dam :thumbsup: Welldone &apls

Sim City 4 Devotion

TheTeaCat

Thats a damn fine dam you done there.

nice job. &apls &apls
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

NikNik

I love that fishing village. great bats!

The dam is massive !!!!  :thumbsup:
From afar it looks like a castle wall  ;D
The down flow is gorgeous!

Nik-Nik

jacqulina

Traff

I really like the fishing village.  :thumbsup:
The scenery in the dam pic really brings out the realism with the water fall.
Its very beautiful. I hope to see more.
;)

kwakelaar

The dam is a great idea, I will use that at first oportunity.

sam

Hi everyone, thanks for all the nice comments, I really appreciate them.

I haven't had much time to play the game and its been a while since I posted an update. The region is still very small as its very difficult to play such a mountainous region. Tikaani is struggling, and I'm not sure why, as the population is still very low (12,000 sims). But I've started a new city, Ohcumgache, just to the north in the B1 position. (edit: sorry its actually the B1 position, not the B2)

Although younger than Tikaani, Ohcumgache has a bigger population (only about 23,000 so far). The main feature so far is the military base:

Below is the training area and the airforce landing strip:

This is the other side of the base:

The rest of the city is fairly undeveloped so far, although there is a small industrial area and a housing estate. Neither are particularly interesting yet though.

Colyn

That really looks like these military base towns here in ZA ;)
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

sebes

Good Job Sam.  :thumbsup: That base is looking so very realistic that I can think I can even hear the soldiers drilling ...
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

BarbyW

Yes, Sam, it's a pity the drill square was empty when you snapped the base. It looks really good and it's lovely to see the lots in use.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

bat

wonderful two pictures and a wonderful military base!

kwakelaar

The military area is looking very nice, great to see the lots in a CJ. I like the layout you have made.

mattb325

Sam, this is brilliant.
The military lots are so very realistic as is the use of SG's houses around them.
The whole thing really looks fantastic. Bravo &apls

NikNik

Very nice base.

I like the SG houses around the grass field. The monument is also well placed.

I miss gate houses, the area is not yet completely secured.

Nik-Nik

Alek King of SC4

wow now that looks nice, very nice matching of BATs and styles, flawless

Alfred.Jones

Lovely work!! That base looks so cool!! I love the how the train weaves through it! :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion