• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BSC Plays the game with Custom content.

Started by Colyn, December 19, 2006, 02:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colyn

In the BSC we have a thing that we select a map and then a lot of us plays that map. The main aim is not to merely build a good region but to specifiaclly test for certain performance issues we see and hear about.

Currently we have the problem that once you change over to NO MAXIS stuff and only plays custom lots we can no longer grow big cities.

What is also great is to see how differnet players handles the same basic terrain. We have learned a lot about how players apply custom content by this way of playing and many excellent lot collections usually emerges from such a game experiment.

During the Miramba experiment we established that 4 city regions is a problem for the game and that the 4 city maps have lots of crashes that we cannot explain ... what is true is that when the map was sectioned to be more cities most of the crashes disappeared. The Miramba experiment also gave birth to a lot of lots especially the MEGA Lots.

Now we have a new experiment going ... the Shosaloza Project.

This is a very difficult mountain terrain and the aim is to see how many sims we can get in without trashing the environment.

Up to now the postings of the experiment was done on the BSC Board ... I think it may be more fruitful to do it here and also see if we cannot get more people to play that map.

There are issues around many custom lots and it is only by actually playing the game with the custom content that we can learn more about it.

So ... Barby wil post the link to the Terrain and I look forward to see more players in the Shosaloza experiment. The major issue for us is the question around city sims numbers.

The MAP is here ...
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

BarbyW

The map we are using is a very mountainous one by beskhu3epnm - Mount Robson. The original of this seems to have disappeared from the STEX so I will ask NHP if the version modified by Colyn can be uploaded here.
We have each done some individual terraforming so the end results are not identical. No doubt the others will be along to show their final region maps. I have done some terraforming in SC4TM and am doing some as I start each city. Here is my version:

As you will be able to see from the original I have flattened out some areas as I detest mountains :latigo:
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

jeronij

Hi, interesting map indeed, even without the mountains  :D !!! It is a real challenge  :P

I have to admit that I dont exactly understand this " and the aim is to see how many sims we can get in without trashing the environment", specially this "without trashing the environment" . What do you mean with this ?¿

wouanagaine, excellent layout mon ami  :thumbsup:
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Colyn

Ok guys .... I think we must do as we do on the BSC Board ... every player must open his or her own thread for their Shosaloza Experiment ... that way we can clearly see the difference in styles and not deal with threads that are miles long.

JR ... what we want to try and do is to develop without really loosing the character of the map ... so no godmode huge leveler and BAM there is room :)
Come see CSX Play

jeronij

I understand, but I see this rule is flexible  :D !!!

I think I will give this map a  try  :thumbsup:

Oh, wait, my plugins folder is full of "cheats" ....Radical ordinance mod, no dilapidation mod, etc... Can such mods be used as well ?¿
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Colyn

Yes ... the only thing is that you try and preserve the natural look ... work on it as if you a very strong Green Lobby that wants to give you problems all the time  :D ... so when you do terraform think of how you will justify that to the council and how you will keep your Sims so happy that the Greens cannot win ...  &idea
Come see CSX Play

BarbyW

Also can we make it clear that ANYONE who is a member of SC4Devotion can join in.  :thumbsup: It is not just for BSC members, so come and join in with the fun.

Colyn

Good point Barby ... the more people that plays the more ideas we can get ... we are especially interested in players that are not serious BATTERS or MODDERS ... in other words ... we are looking for people that depends on us to provide them with custom content ... the serious players.

We are playing mostly to show how we use the stuff that we make and we play to see if the stuff that others make works with the stuff we make ... so in the end it all comes back to the basics ... What is the use of all these nice things that are being made if we never get to play with them.
Come see CSX Play

beskhu3epnm

I think this is a great project, and for a number of reasons:
1. It encourages the new SC4D community to join in
2. Instead of opening up a city where you can build to the max, there are guidelines that have been set as to not infringe on the nature of the map, making it suitable for advanced players.
3. Of course, different building styles, especially given the somewhat difficult terrain.
4. The map is substantial enough in size as to not be able to develop it using only one person - this way, it can actually be played to completion.

So with that, at some point, I may join in, however I am having hardware problems and am using a POS computer not even worthy enough to open SC4...... (middle of the week, I'll be back).

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Alek King of SC4

hmmm i have been doing this on my own for a while, so i can you give you all some tips I use.

Try to limit which size lots you use for each building, that way when you zone for a certain combination of size, wealth (use taxes to controll) and density, you will know exactly what building will grow- really works great for seeing all your growables when you want them. This looks like a great thread i will be watching.

Alek

&dance &dance

I love that thing ^

BarbyW

Why not join in with us, Alek King of SC4? I have posted the modified map to the File Exchange here with beskhu3epnm's permission.

jeronij

May I suggest you to use the starting post in this topic as the Shosaloza Experiment Basic Rules List post ?¿. So, any person accessing this thread could inmediately know what is going on and how to participate without having to read the whole thread  ;)

I plan to create a section to link some of the most interesting "living" projects directly from the left site's menu, and I would like to use this topic to link this experiment.

Also a link to the downloadable map in the initial post would be welcome  ;D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

bat

Great region, beskhu3epnm

and great work, wouanagaine

sebes

Great idea. I am also very glad that the BSC team joined here  &dance   I will not join and play this map as I am too busy with my own supersize region project that someday I hope to be able to show to you all if I only learn how to post images  :newbie:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

TheTeaCat

This is a great idea. I won't join in at present but shall keep a close eye on this.
Rl is a bit hectic and am presently building a region. Its something to keep in mind though for the future.

:satisfied:

EDIT:
@Sebes

Jeroni has a thread on how to post pictures that was very useful for me. I didn't have a clue how to do it before but now I can  ;D

http://sc4devotion.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=27&topic=33.0
is the link to this.

Also Wouangaine has a very useful little tool to take the pics which save them as jpegs  so no need to convert anything. It's called Clip2pic and it's available with all the other wikked little tools he's made at ST

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=40&threadid=83832
is the link for this

Hope this helps you.

satisfied
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Rayden

I can see this is open to non-BSC members, but where shall we open our threads, in here or at the MD area?

Colyn

Right here ... just put your name in the topic and let rip ...  &dance  ... I just had to use that thing ...  &smrt
Come see CSX Play

Rayden

OK, thx. I'll give it a try. So, no maxis content, no spoiling natural terrain, and lots of imagination, isn't it?

Colyn

There is no limit on the Maxis content ... but the rest of what you said is true ;)
Come see CSX Play

moganite

I will be in but over the christmas period probably wont be able to do much actual playing due to christmas I should be back in about 2 weeks.  I also am getting hold of an nforce board as a sidegrade to make my new videocard (Geforce 7600 GS AGP)work properly

All of my cities will be Maxis heavy but I do have custom content for growables and a few plopables. I have about 250 meg of custom content now and am adding more steadily.

Also I dont use cheats though I may need to mod some of the garbage values for some lots.

I can see a few uses for tiny power generators and might test a mod I am working on for "gardening" : self planting god mode trees.

no spoilng natural terrain will make things interesting :)

you would be supprised at what you can get away with esp if you  re design an area several times over its history

How long will this experiment run?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Heblem
jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ Vandy
wouanagaine