• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CD Version of SC4 will not work on Windows 10

Started by mgb204, August 05, 2015, 05:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

I'm copying this information from various threads on the ST forums regarding Windows 10 compatibility with SC4.

QuoteIt seems that CD versions of SC4 will not run under Windows 10 - The necessary OS support files for validating SafeDisc2 copy protection simply isn't part of Windows 10. This issue is not unique to SC4 either, SafeDisc and associated technologies were widely used by game discs for such validation.

For now, unless MS decide to retroactively support it, your only option appears to be a digital version of the game which will not have such copy protection. If you put your CD-Key into Origin they will provide you with a free digital copy of the game, so it needn't cost you any money to resolve.

Obviously this is a bit annoying for holdouts with the disk versions that don't like Origin. However the digital versions have been tested and work, personally I'd recommend the DRM-Free versions from GoG or Gamersgate etc, but the Origin and Steam versions should work too if you don't care about DRM.

Of course this whole sorry debacle should be a wake up call, such minor DRM technology on the game disks have made a working item redundant, not because there is incompatibility, but simply copy protection that won't validate. Any from of DRM is bad for precisely this reason, if we let games become beholden to third party items for support, those games one day will simply never work again.

NCGAIO

In fact this is an issue more related to obligation  in use WHQL signed drivers than WoW compatibility for the necessary driver.

Although more difficult there is the option of "disabled driver signature enforcement" and will soon see an update overrider.

But Win 10 also brings other "Innovations"

Synthael

QuoteObviously this is a bit annoying for holdouts with the disk versions that don't like Origin. However the digital versions have been tested and work, personally I'd recommend the DRM-Free versions from GoG or Gamersgate etc, but the Origin and Steam versions should work too if you don't care about DRM.

There is a way to connect your SimCity 4 to Origin without buying a new copy, I did it about 3 months ago because my discs are falling apart from use over the last 10 years.

In my case, I contacted Origin support to ask them if I could link my disc version of SC4 Deluxe to Origin as the discs (especially disc 2 which is needed for the game to work) are scratched and just worn from spinning that much in my computer. They said they could, I just needed to send them proof that I own the game (CD key couldn't be activated directly, it's old and wasn't registered because of the shitty internet), so I sent pictues of my case, back of the manual where the key is and discs with a note on which the date and my Origin username and my RL name are written so they know it's not faked (don't have webcam, could have been easier that way, I think). They linked it in less than 10 minutes, and now I'm playing it over Origin, no problems at all, no discs needed.

If you worry about the widescreen etc., in Origin you can set start parameters the same way you do it in normal shortcut, so I have SC4 running smoothly in 1080p with 1 core fix and everything.

Pat

Warcraft is also having issues and so is World of Tanks too, so this goes to show me I will not take my free upgrade of win10 pro.....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie