• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bus Lanes Concept

Started by allan_kuan1992, September 22, 2007, 01:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow Assassin

We could have both a draggable single-network (just exclusive buslanes) and the buslane in ave/road/whatever.

So, it'd probably end up being more a hybrid network.

EDIT: Oh, looky, I started a new page again :P

I might actually start doing some (preliminary) textures, when I have some free time.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Mayor Abe

This seems like an excellent idea (the TE lots are annoying) About the red textures, though, the NYCDOT has started putting them in some parts of New York's Midtown as a pilot program to see if driver actually respect the lanes. I mention this because I think the red lanes are realistic
The government should be afraid of its people. any other way is a dictatorship
"Free people and Free Markets" Wall Street Journal editorial philosophy
The views of any one group should not be imposed upon people as a whole (that means You, religious right wingers)

Diggis

just one query... it appears that while they will look like bus lanes, with bus automata travelling on them, they will really be monorail, with normal busses not travelling on them? and the route query will not show bus but monorail traffic?

Lollo

The most would probably call this bumping, but I seriously have something to share...

Since recreating Bus lanes is one of my major tasks, I've been working for a while on making textures. Here is what I've obtained so far:

The little sidewalks in the center to be covered with T21s such as the usual avenue medians...

Unfortunately, it is not possible to make three tiles draggable networks, but I was thinking of a workaround that involves subsequent overrides: When one drags a OWR beside a road, in this configuration:

an override makes it appear as this:

texture1,texture2=texture3,texture4
Then, dragging another OWR beside the freshly made texture, in this way:

another override would make it look like this:

texture3,texture5=texture3,texture6
Of course the whole method would involve a traffic blocker at the beginning of the lane, just to allow bus and bus only to pass through, which seems not to be liked here.... :P

Is this process feasible???
I hope to receive comments on this.....  ;)

Ah.... The Bus Taxi paint is just for the beginning of the lane, and resembles the ones here in Rome

Keep an eye on the Lair!

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Shadow Assassin

QuoteIs this process feasible???

Of course it is. It's how most override-based networks work. I like to call it an "cascading override", because well, it says what it does: texture 1 and 2 lead to 2 and 3 and so on...

It isn't a bad idea, really. However, what'd be more convenient, on the other hand would just be using the road network, and then using bus blockers. Gives more flexibility.

But what would most definitely be cool would be bus lanes, rather than busways [what Lollo has basically shown is a busway].
New Horizons Productions

Lollo

Quotewhat Lollo has basically shown is a busway

Indeed they are..... Regarding Bus lanes I don't think they're possible without splitting bus and normal traffic using a trick such as the above-shown "Bus to monorail conversion", but who knows...

Keep an eye on the Lair!

deathtopumpkins

I like the concept of this, and it seems pretty feasible to me, not that I know much about this.
I'd definately use it if released.
2 questions though:
1. What's the feasibility of using puzzle pieces to initiate the override (RHW-style) instead of just dragging the networks next to each other.
2. Do you think that the extra third lane added to the OWR on each side would be able to be functional?

So what if they're only busways instead of bus lanes (no offense SA)? It's still cooler than just using TE'd traffic blocking lots.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Lollo

Quote1. What's the feasibility of using puzzle pieces to initiate the override (RHW-style) instead of just dragging the networks next to each other.
I absolutely don't have an answer for this question.... Hope that one of the NAM gurus would read and comment  :P (Alex, anyone?)
Quote2. Do you think that the extra third lane added to the OWR on each side would be able to be functional?
They undoubtedly would, after a proper repathing

Keep an eye on the Lair!

Tarkus

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 23, 2008, 03:36:54 PM
2 questions though:
1. What's the feasibility of using puzzle pieces to initiate the override (RHW-style) instead of just dragging the networks next to each other.

It's definitely possible.  The only limitation there is we might run out of "false intersections" for starters, though that may be awhile.

2. Do you think that the extra third lane added to the OWR on each side would be able to be functional?

Well, it can be pathed, but unless it's onto another tile, it won't technically add capacity.

-Alex (Tarkus)

deathtopumpkins

Wow. And there he is, appearing while I'm typing, so whole post edited.

Cool. I figured it was possible, just making sure.
It looks like it would be up against the edge of the tile--correct me if I'm wrong--same as RHW6, but would it even really matter if it adds capacity? Do any of us actually still play the game worrying about capacity (or without using the NAM traffic simulators)? Well, actually, nevermind, because surely there are people out there who do, and now I sound like I'm ranting so I'm gonna stop now.
Point is, I wouldn't really care if added capacity as long as the network worked.

Reading this makes me wish the game could determine the number of sims in a car, so we could have HOV lanes!  $%Grinno$%

CasperVg

QuoteDo any of us actually still play the game worrying about capacity (or without using the NAM traffic simulators)?
I do, I really have to worry about capacity <-> speed when using the NAM Traffic Plugin "A Hard"; in a city of 1.3 million plus.
(A Hard is suggested for cities under 250k inhabitants  ::))
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Shadow Assassin

So what if they're only busways instead of bus lanes (no offense SA)?

None taken. But bus lanes would be very cool. Shame they can't really be functional...
New Horizons Productions

deathtopumpkins

caspervg: OK, wow. Why don't you downgrade? I don't use a traffic plugin, but I'm thinking about using A Easy when I install the next NAM.

SA: Yes it is a shame... At least it's already been confirmed that we can with Cities XL if any of you are interested in it.

Lollo

QuoteAt least it's already been confirmed that we can with Cities XL if any of you are interested in it
Aha... interesting!  &Thk/(

However, here is another prototype I came up with while playing with Euro roads mod....

Keep an eye on the Lair!

MandelSoft

This is interresting. I keep an eye on this thread.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

deathtopumpkins

Yes it is very interesting, and can be read about here I'm pretty sure, I don't remember exactly where I found it.
When you build a road you set what type of traffic can use each lane, so, for example, to build a two lane road you would need 4 lanes: ped|cars||cars|ped (with sidewalks).
Ooh, even euro textures already.

I had an idea today about this. Couldn't you get it down to two tiles by leaving each OWR 2 lanes and slightly narrowing the sidewalks? Then it could be draggable by an avenue override.  Just a thought.

EDIT: 6/25/08 to fix link

Jonathan

Quotedraggable by an avenue override

That will be much harder, two tile networks have medians which have to be taken in to account, so far the NWM has managed to avoid using avenues (i think)

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Warrior on June 25, 2008, 02:10:40 PM
That will be much harder, two tile networks have medians which have to be taken in to account, so far the NWM has managed to avoid using avenues (i think)
That would create problems. I guess the original way is better then.

Lollo

QuoteI had an idea today about this. Couldn't you get it down to two tiles by leaving each OWR 2 lanes and slightly narrowing the sidewalks? Then it could be draggable by an avenue override.  Just a thought.

In addition to what has answered Warrior, making it 2 tiles wide would be impossible without the use of puzzle pieces and different paths for the Busway. (eg monorail)

Keep an eye on the Lair!