• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GLR Request Thread

Started by vinlabsc3k, June 06, 2009, 10:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinlabsc3k

In this thread you can make your request for the GLR!!

And i begin with myself:
Can anyone make a GLR>Subway transition.
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

woodb3kmaster

I know of two that already exist: The NDEX GLR to Subway transition (on the STEX) and another by one of the Japanese BATters (check the Japanese section of the forums here and you'll come across it eventually). Hope that helps!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Chrisim

Good to hear that there is interest for more GLR stuff  :)
I can tell that work on GLR/tram is ongoing, including another transition that will use the "normal" GLR track texture. However, it will still take quite some time ...

Dexist

how about GLR- normal rail connection?

Andreas

Quote from: Dexist on June 07, 2009, 04:23:07 AM
how about GLR- normal rail connection?

Since rail and el-rail are two different networks, you will have to use a transit enabled lot for that. There are a few of them out there already, most likely you'll find at least one at the STEX. I don't know if it's still the case, but back then, Tropod equipped the el-rail network with rail paths as well, so the connector lots works more or less. Personally, I think it's somewhat pointless, since SC4 wasn't really designed for this purpose (even though such systems exist in RL as well, like the S-Bahn network in Karlsruhe, Germany).
Andreas

FrankU

I don't know if this kind of transition, GLR to normal rail, exist in real life. I'd say it is dangerous, because rail uses very different speeds and is used for larger distancens. So I personally think that this transition would be useless. GLR to EL-rail and GLR to subway are very useful, but indeed they already exist.
I mean, someone would be able to make a highway to GLR transition. But isn't that pointless? Or a GLR to ferry transition (in fact I did hear somedays about a ferry that takes trams and brings them to the other side of the river, forgot where it was).

Chrisim

Rail to GLR transitions do exist in real life. I have often waited for my tram at the GLR station on the photo below, but two months ago it was different. Suddenly a train came:

It was quite a surprise for me. Now I know that this part of the tram line is an old rail line converted to tram - shared by the museum train once every few weeks ...
It's the Hessencourrier close to Kassel, Germany.

FrankU

So this is a very special situation. You can also see that there are a narrow and a normal rail track on the same place.
But I for myself would not ask the NAM people to take a lot of time for this kind of funny, but rare situations. It would be more rewarding to construct new and useful systems of transport.

Diggis

Quote from: FrankU on June 08, 2009, 03:18:46 AM
So this is a very special situation. You can also see that there are a narrow and a normal rail track on the same place.
But I for myself would not ask the NAM people to take a lot of time for this kind of funny, but rare situations. It would be more rewarding to construct new and useful systems of transport.

The london underground and the National rail both use the same track size and when there are repair works being done on the mainline tracks it is quite common for the trains to use the overground portion of the underground to bypass the works.

joelyboy911

I placed a request somewhere else asking if a GLR and Heavy-Rail on the same tile could be made. I'm not certain if i was turned away or not. I am aware that this requires ploppables as you cannot have multiple network draggables, but I still think it would have its particular uses. Perhaps one day I should learn to do this myself....
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

io_bg

Quote from: FrankU on June 08, 2009, 03:18:46 AMYou can also see that there are a narrow and a normal rail track on the same place.
I think you're wrong, these are something like "outer" (for trains) and "inner" tracks (for trams):
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

FrankU

Yes, that could also be the case...

vinlabsc3k

@ woodb3kmaster

I know that exist alredy some BAT, but they have the rail texture and as say Chrisim I want it with the GLR texture.

@ all

Please don't make discussion that exits the thread.
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

z

Diagonals!

Specifically, diagonal network crossing for GLR-in-Avenue.  Most important would be diagonal roads, followed by the various diagonal-capable networks.  (I have long wanted diagonal embankment rail over straight GLR.  Even ground diagonal rail over straight GLR.  And how about diagonal rail orthogonal to diagonal GLR?  And monorails and el trains.)  And then there are the diagonal Maxis elevated highways...

Don't worry, I won't be requesting FAR intersections with the GLR-in-Avenue (or even GLR)... yet.

And then there's the underground rail intersections with GLR and GLR-in-Avenue, both diagonal and orthogonal.

Well, you asked...  ::)

KrigarN

Is it possible to add flora (trees) to the side of GLR concrete networks every 2:nd or 3:rd tile ? The sterile look of concrete-only cities are bugging me off. Could you possibly fix this ? Oh, and by the way. Are sidewalks along GLR tracks possible in the same way as sidewalks along street/road/ave ?
[Insert signature]

FrankU

A simple El-rail over GLR in Avenue would make me happy already.
Some weeks ago I fooled around with a certain square for more than an hour to find a more or less realistic solution to the problem how to get and Avenue with GLR into a square with an EL-rail station...

strucka

I have a request. A diagonal transition T-RAM and T-A(venue)AM to GLR so it would come out from the combined network on to the single network in diagonal. How about a Electric rail over avenue and a transition GLRin avenue (maybe even road) to subway or/and elevated rail?

The_Hutt

Have the ability, when installing the NAM, to set all standard puzzle pieces to a certain texture type. For example, we have the pedestrian mall pieces with the different textures. It would be cool to have those textures expanded into GLR-only use, i.e. have all the normal curves and such be sandstone-based instead of the concrete. Probably a good idea to keep the non-textured grass (rural) draggable version in there, though. This would really help people with sidewalk mods.

woodb3kmaster

I mentioned this once before in a different thread, but after so long, I think it bears repeating:

With no disrespect intended to ebina, I prefer the original GLR textures to the current standard ones; I think they're more realistic for the kind of light-rail I see here in Los Angeles. If possible, I'd like to see the original texture set expanded to catch up with the current GLR capabilities and added to the NAM installer as an option.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Andreas

Making new texture sets (or expanding the original set) is certainly possible, but someone has to make them in the first place. ;)
Andreas