• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your . . . . current projects

Started by keithsed, February 08, 2007, 07:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vizoria

CasperVg

Not strictly SC4, but I guess Cities In Motion 2 is close enough. I've begun working on a recreation of my hometown Ghent (Belgium) in CIM2:

As you can see, the free tool Maps4Cim is quite helpful for this. While it can't draw the roads directly, it does recolor the terrain which can give a nice idea of how things should look ideally. Sadly, many real life road layouts aren't possible in CIM2 - but it's close enough for now.

EDIT: Progress

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

belfastsocrates

Hospital site progressing...

I welcome any comments, positive or negative, on how it looks so far. I will be adding 'activity' to the storage/workshop area as well as the sandstone walkways.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Mandarin(a)

Looks good! Liking that overpass  :thumbsup:
Maybe you could consider adding some more space between buildings (although they are kind of locked between the avenue and the highway). You know, for parks. As much as I know, green surfaces make patients to feel better.

belfastsocrates

Quote from: Mandarin(a) on March 24, 2016, 11:45:28 AM
Maybe you could consider adding some more space between buildings (although they are kind of locked between the avenue and the highway). You know, for parks. As much as I know, green surfaces make patients to feel better.

That was playing on my mind actually. I was sort of annoyed there wasn't enough park space. I'm thinking of removing some road sections, the road bridge over the motorway and bringing forward the motorway tunnel entrance to create a dedicate park for hospital patients.

The park would cover this area, roughly...

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

mgb204

Grab a copy of the EU Zebra patch for NGN from this post :). That will make the ave crossings look a little better.

Other than that, the one thing that stands out is the length of the bridge over the park. Does this connect with a car park or something? It just seems a bit redundant to make a bridge over such a distance to me.

Quote from: CasperVg on March 24, 2016, 04:26:29 AM
Not strictly SC4, but I guess Cities In Motion 2 is close enough. I've begun working on a recreation of my hometown Ghent (Belgium) in CIM2:

Actually that ranks as one of the most real-looking road setups I've seen amongst city builders.  :thumbsup:

belfastsocrates

Quote from: mgb204 on March 24, 2016, 02:07:07 PM
Other than that, the one thing that stands out is the length of the bridge over the park. Does this connect with a car park or something? It just seems a bit redundant to make a bridge over such a distance to me.

Yeah it connects to a multi-storey carpark that serves staff and visitors. It's a compact site so didn't want lots of surface car parking.

I'll add that patch now :D

wallasey

Interesting project for CIM2! Are you trusting the building generator to play ball or will you be plopping buildings individually? Hope it works well for you!

belfastsocrates

That recreation looks fantastic.

If only we could have such recreation, with conforming buildings, for SC4.... *dreams*

belfastsocrates

Hospital site progressing, I think it's almost complete. I might extend the ambulance station/garage, building in front of the long walkway, though.

Mandarin(a)

Looks nice!  :clap: Glad you added some parks.

mgb204

It looks great and I can clearly see what's happening with the elevated walkway. But for me, it's still too long. I also worry for the poor sick and elderly getting from the car park to the hospital, that's quite some distance. Minor issues though, still a great shot  :thumbsup:

vortext

I've joined the dark side. .  ::)

My first third BAT! Just in case you have a hard time discerning what exactly it's supposed to be: it's peat!   :D

Next up I want to create a huge pile, like this:

Now dumb question time: how exactly do I render HD props in gmax/BAT? For now I've just made a big model and resized it with model tweaker, which seems to work alright I guess. Would be nice to render in proper HD from the outset though.

Also, this small endeavor took my appreciation for BATters to a whole new level, this modelling business ain't easy!  $%Grinno$% Hats off to all the BATters out there!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

APSMS

I wasn't aware GMAX could do HD renders. I figured you needed 3dsMAX for that, which is why it's so prevalent among most BATters (well, that and proper nightlighting).

3dsMAX is free, but I imagine its workspace is pretty different from GMAX.

The method you're using does work properly, though admittedly I would have had no idea what it was unless you had said something.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

mgb204

Just download BAT 4 Max, it's not just for 3DS max :).

Once installed, it will put scripts in place that offer a HD option under the preview roll out.

Well done on the BAT. Honestly, someone with your texturing skills should at least have, what is for me, the hardest part covered. With your desire for the historical, I could imagine some totally unique objects coming our way soon  :thumbsup:

vortext

Hmm, so I've downloaded BAT4Max but it needs 3DSMax to install properly - unless there's a manual option somewhere just for the Gmax component? And I didn't know 3DS max was free as well, though I can't find a free download, unless you mean the educational license APSMS?  ()what()

And yeah, making the texture was the easy part indeed, just whipped something up rather quick and it looked alright - imagine my surprise! :D

Anyway, should really be going to bed instead of trying to figure this all out this right now. .  ::)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

mgb204

BAT4Max includes components for both 3DS max and SC4BAT.

Even 3DS max users must create the LODs using SC4BAT.

However, looking at my files, I realise my error. Because Bat4Max handles it, it overwrotre the memory of the separate package  ::) Find what you need here, sorry.

As for free 3DS max, many people are using the educational licence, I think it's pretty "flexible" in terms of who can sign up. So long as you aren't selling models, I don't think they care too much. Word of warning, newer versions of 3DS max are no fun to setup, but of course 3DS max would bring you much better quality models in the long run.

belfastsocrates

Quote from: mgb204 on March 28, 2016, 11:45:41 AM
It looks great and I can clearly see what's happening with the elevated walkway. But for me, it's still too long. I also worry for the poor sick and elderly getting from the car park to the hospital, that's quite some distance. Minor issues though, still a great shot  :thumbsup:

I've an update planned that'll explore the site but the car park is for staff and visitors primarily. There are drop off sites for those with limited mobility. The skywalks also feature moving walkways.

mgb204