• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your . . . . current projects

Started by keithsed, February 08, 2007, 07:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabian93

Quote from: art128 on November 26, 2009, 09:57:07 AM
Here's what I'm currently working on..

This is a self made map (with a self made grey scale file.. ) of the "metropolitan area" of Magadan, In Russia (Магадан  in Russian). The city is located in the Magadan Oblast in the Extreme East of Russia. I use that region now (and at least I hope I can play it until I'll entirely finish it.. ) because the last one, Svanskinahya, is now lost because of some problem in my computer (about time to change it.. ). But, I keep the actual MD , as the name of the region still is Svanskinahya. The region is a 8x9 big city tile, so 8x4 on 9x4 Kilometers, so a  32x36 kilometers region, at a scale of 1:1 (I took ti use a Google Earth picture of the area with a square of 4x4 (a tile) real kilometers drawn to get the good size.
So here's just an overview from the SC4Terraformer cause I have to open each city tile to get a correct region view of the region.

:o :o I'm really sorry to hear that, Arthur. Glad to see see you planning a new region, already. It's always unpleasant when you loose your hard work &mmm.

WC_EEND

sorry to hear that, I can imagine that it's very annoying to see such hard work just dissapeared
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

jonno

Quote from: rbdyck on November 26, 2009, 08:36:14 AM
Ok, maybe I'm outclassed by some of the stuff I see here, but I thought I would share. Here is a city I'm playing with. I may rebuild a new city on a similar idea. All houses face a pedestrian walkway, with backlane bays. I took the idea from a neighbourhood called Wildwood Park. There isn't a back lane tile in SC4, so I just used streets. Walkways are implemented as ped mall. I first plop the Park Sidewalk, the plop a Mountain Path over top; the result retains the lamp posts, park benches, trees, and flower planters from the Park Sidewalk. Down the centre of each bay is a single square wide ped walkway, as are the walkways between bays. Down the centre is a double-wide (2 square) ped walkway. At the intersection of 4 bays is a feature, alternating between a small commercial cluster or park feature. At every commercial cluster is a subway station, with the subway line running beneath the double-wide ped walkway. Power plant for this city is a Waste to Energy plant augmented with windmills. Each bay connects to a road, with 3 roads so far. This leaves two double-wide ped walkways, and another two on the outside are only built single-wide so far. Commercial clusters are arranged checkerboard fashion. The central park feature is replaced with a school cluster: elementary, high school, and library, with subway station at the school cluster. Most park features have something unique: tennis court, flower garden, but all have at least one park green and one playground. The idea is to ensure grocery store and other common services and hopefully most people's place of work are within walking distance of any home, and subway service to distant places such as a major shopping mall, downtown offices or industrial area. Some commercial clusters have a medical clinic, and the avenue to the idustrial park has a fire station. So far it has significant pedestrian traffic, but still too much road traffic.

It actually does look alot like Wildwood park, except with alot less trees, and no river passing by.  The idea is good (and it's a nice neighbourhood in real life to emmulate), but I think it would look alot better with more trees and maybe more parkland.

rbdyck

Quote from: jonno on November 26, 2009, 06:36:43 PM
It actually does look alot like Wildwood park, except with alot less trees, and no river passing by.  The idea is good (and it's a nice neighbourhood in real life to emmulate), but I think it would look alot better with more trees and maybe more parkland.
Thank you. Actually I didn't initially know placing a Mountain Trail on top of a Park Sidewalk would leave the props of the Park Sidewalk. I hadn't bulldozed and rebuilt most walkways, just used the double step method for new walkways. I have been looking for how to build a custom ped mall tile, using a concreate (grey) walkway like Park Sidewalk, as well as the props from Park Sidewalk (perhaps without the concrete flower planters), but active as a ped mall. Still haven't learned how. Anyway, I rebuilt those paths just for you. Here is a new picture. (Lower resolution so the image file isn't so big. I had to delete some stuff from my personal web space hosted by my ISP; hitting disk quota.)

Wildwood Park doesn't have commercial space right in the residential neighbourhood, or schools for that matter. I put those right in the neighbourhood to add to pedestrian use. I have often read that the latest thinking in city planning is a mix of residential and commercial, so people can live close enough to work to just walk.

For those reading this who aren't familiar with Wildwood, it is built in the loop of the Red River, and has a community centre with two outdoor hockey rinks, and a baseball diamond outside the ring road, adjacent to the river. There is also St. John's Ravenscourt private school (a small campus) just outside the ring road to the southeast. That is the most expensive private school in the province. And a dirt ridge to the north separates the residential community from a full-size golf course, which also has 11 tennis courts. Quite the upscale neighbourhood. To the west there are public schools within walking distance: elementary, junior high, and high school. And 5 blocks west of Wildwood Park is Pembina, an avenue that is the major shopping route in the south end of the city. Pembina also leads to the largest university in the province, but that's a few miles away.

Hmm, that reminds me, I should add a country club somewhere. I don't think I've reached the minimum population yet. Hmmm...
I and I was going to build a custom lot with a hockey rink. Need to go back to search if a hockey rink download already exists, or even a small community centre. Got to have something to do during the long Canadian winter.

delta9

I don't really post here a whole lot, mostly lurked for the past couple years or however long it's been, but here's a city I'm working on for a possible MD in the near future.  It's built on the Potomac region by NHP (I think... not sure but seems like a safe bet, amirite?)

Here's two pictures of what I have of the main city so far.  Unfortunately I've been in too much of a development frenzy to really take any good pictures to chronicle the development of this tile.  These are before and after the establishment of a CBD/downtown.  Not really clean enough to be MD shots, these were just me toying with getting a flat overhead view (somewhat).  On the first pic you might notice the section of avenue leading to the industrial area having a white jaggy sidewalk... had a plugin flub after reorganizing and messed up my sandstone mod.

Can you tell that my main inspiration was Portland?  ::)

Jayster

Here is one of my current projects, my FIRST project using the LE. Inspired by Badsim. Here it is:

And here is the result in Simcity 4 so far......

I think it's coming along very well so far! And only about 5+ hours of work put into it so far! Phewww! Not as good as his lots but it is getting there I think....

frdrcklim

300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

Ike

adroman

frdrcklim, I think that the appropriate tool there is Sawtooth's Region Census.

I hope that's what you were looking for  :)
Adrian.
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

FrankU

Yes, indeed. You need Sawtooth region census. The resulting picture must be rotated and made square with Gimp, Photoshop or the like.
There is a tutorial somewhere, but when you understand the trick, it's very simple. And the trick is no more than my sentences above. Good luck!

sincitybaby

Finally finished placing my country on a map. The Platte Republic is located in the Middle of North America on a fictional fifth Great Lake.  It formed after America was defeated by the Soviet Union in the late 1970's.  The country was split up and this is the result some 40 years later.

I proudly present......

Comments and feedback welcomed!

frdrcklim

300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

i_love_lamp

I made this map for my future MD, feel free to make comments on this

adroman

10/10... for having my name in it $%Grinno$%

But seriously, it looks great i_love_lamp. Very nice projects, all!
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

ecoba

Great map, I hope that there's a region that looks just like that, have you found one already?

Ethan

ElPhantasmo69

Omg Adroman! Your name is Adelphotita?  :D

i_love_lamp

Quote10/10... for having my name in it

But seriously, it looks great i_love_lamp. Very nice projects, all!

lol, how did i know that? No, thats actually the name of the country im workin on for my MD (hint hint)

QuoteGreat map, I hope that there's a region that looks just like that, have you found one already?

Ethan

Well actually thats an entire continent there, so.... yea...

lowbart

And if you gaze for long into the internet, the internet gazes also into you.

emgmod

Complex. I think you should post that in "Show Us Your Interchanges" too.

wallasey

One of my smaller towns, the CBD still needs some work doing to it...