• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Themistokles City Gallery: A Tropical Idea

Started by Themistokles, December 26, 2015, 02:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

feyss

Underbar  ;)

Simply an awesome work. The way you used Xannepan's stuff such the river banks and the city walls is perfect  :thumbsup:

belfastsocrates

Absolutely fantastic! What a gorgeous update.

I really like the use of the the Seine walls. I must have a look at changing the pavement texture as well because the result is superb.

Once again the MMP work is just lovely.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Seaman

well, I have some nice places in my regions as well... spent a lot of work in building these... I was kind of proud. And then I see this MD and I'm like: "f*ck you, I quit!" This work is absolutely amazing! After every update I have to take a deep breath to motivate myself to keep going.

The area around the castle is a gem! It's also hard to believe that there is actually a grid down below this organic city...

kbieniu7

Great shots! My favourite is the one with tramway going trough the narrow medieval gate. I hope, trams are not blocked for too long by cars there  :D
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Akallan

It's really beautiful. The castle and the old town is well built, the work is impressive, you'll make me jealous! ;)
Wait to see more, it's always a pleasure to see new pictures in this topic! &apls
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

Themistokles

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'll get back with a real update and individual responses as soon as I have something finished to share, but for now I just want to show the tram network map of St Edmea.

Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

_Michael

Wow! What an imaginative transit map! I love the different take; the pictographic take, but still the schematic elements! Great job!

vortext

That´s a pretty neat map indeed!  &apls

Curious how you made it!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

kbieniu7

Imaginative way of tramlines' setup. With only three small branches it seems to be the most efficient. I guess, how they are marked on vehicles' destination tables? "Linksabbiegende" and "Rechtsabbiegende"? :D
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Baltimore

Hey this is RAYNEV1 from simtropolis , your city looks great and that map looks good too .  :thumbsup:
AKA raynev1 @Simtropolis
See what I'm into when I'm not playing Simcity4
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq2BmSZmH0YW7U6TithLBsQ

Themistokles

Hi there!

It has been a while since last time, hasn't it? RL reared it's head (this time in the form of anatomy...) and then the roundabout in front of the station took way more time than I had anticipated. Still, it really isn't even near finished, but maybe with a small dose of cheating I'll manage in making it look as if it were. ;)

For the very same reasons, this update is going to be somewhat on the smallish side. And then plans have changed as well: We're neither going to visit the university nor the castle hill in this update. Instead we're going to continue our walk where we left it last time, more than two months ago – on the Marktplatz. But, well, changed plans, daunting examinations and unexpected roundabout twists – that is life in a nutshell, isn't it?

But first and foremost,

Quote from: Vizoria on February 21, 2016, 04:39:52 AM
Wow! Great use of JENX's medieval city walls and his riverside banks. I really love how that light concrete pavement is everywhere and totally ubiquitous.
Thanks! Glad you liked it :) I like the concrete pavement because it's the one used almost everywhere in Sweden, so it kind of feels "natural". The only thing I miss really is the possibility to have cobblestone pavement in the city centre.

Quote from: 11241036 on February 21, 2016, 04:53:49 AM
Again, some great screenshots. The old town parts are great, as well as the city wall. However, most of all I love that small path along the coast below the Burg Eltz. BTW, I dislike to correct you, but the proper spelling for the German translation of Emperor is Kaiser, not Keiser.

Edit: Thanks to Simcoug for the link :)
Danke schön, es freut mich dass du sie gut findest :) Auch vielen Dank für die Korrektur. Wenn ich mehrere Fehler mache, bitte zögere nicht, auf sie zu zeigen! ;)
Thanks a lot, glad you liked it :) Also thanks for the correction. If I do more errors please don't hesitate to point them out!

Quote from: art128 on February 21, 2016, 05:09:38 AM
It seems I haven't commented your MD yet. Well what a splendid work it is so far, everything is extremely well done with such level of details and precision. The way you use the Paris seawalls is very ingenious. I really like the stairs on the fourth picture.
Thank you, and thank you for the K-point! Glad you liked it :) Yes, indeed the Quais de Seine are such a useful set. I had some fun with them also in this update. :)

Quote from: Alan_Waters on February 21, 2016, 06:27:12 AM
[...]
Damn, how beautiful it is!
This is a modest transfer.  ;D
Thank you, glad you liked it! спасибо ;)

Quote from: juguesal on February 21, 2016, 07:39:15 AM
Great images. Congratulations.  &apls  &apls
Thanks! :)

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 21, 2016, 07:13:59 PM
Exceptional! I heartily agree with the K-point.

Cheers
Willy
Thank you! :)

Quote from: Simmer2 on February 22, 2016, 06:43:56 AM
Well done  &apls &apls
Thanks! :)

Quote from: Jmouse on February 22, 2016, 02:00:08 PM
The houses are charming, made more so by the castle walls that surround them. Clearly, you do a lot of reading, choosing to either spend time online or enjoy the pleasure of holding a book in your hands. Either way, your knowledge of history and architecture along with your sense of style provide an exceptional combination.  I've really enjoyed seeing your work and hope to see much more of it.

Glad you liked it :) Yes, I try not just to show pictures but at the same time to tell a story, and a story that could be plausible from a historical perspective. Just to make it sound a bit cliché: A place is always the sum of its history. :D

Quote from: feyss on February 22, 2016, 02:47:29 PM
Underbar  ;)

Simply an awesome work. The way you used Xannepan's stuff such the river banks and the city walls is perfect  :thumbsup:
Tack så mycket! Glad you liked it :) A lot of this hill-building has been inspired by your work in Olsènes. :)

Quote from: belfastsocrates on February 23, 2016, 02:06:13 AM
Absolutely fantastic! What a gorgeous update.

I really like the use of the the Seine walls. I must have a look at changing the pavement texture as well because the result is superb.

Once again the MMP work is just lovely.
Thanks! :) Indeed, the pavement gives a lot of feeling to a place. Maybe I should consider an 'old town pavement', similar to your 'modern development pavement' :)

Quote from: Terring7 on February 23, 2016, 03:38:52 AM
Awesome! :thumbsup:
Thank you! :)

Quote from: Seaman on February 23, 2016, 12:17:27 PM
well, I have some nice places in my regions as well... spent a lot of work in building these... I was kind of proud. And then I see this MD and I'm like: "f*ck you, I quit!" This work is absolutely amazing! After every update I have to take a deep breath to motivate myself to keep going.

The area around the castle is a gem! It's also hard to believe that there is actually a grid down below this organic city...
1. Don't quit. :) Thanks for the compliment, though!
2. And, oh, there is a grid below... I've waged long and hard battles against it... and be assured, it is still there. ;D

Quote from: kbieniu7 on March 06, 2016, 09:55:20 AM
Great shots! My favourite is the one with tramway going trough the narrow medieval gate. I hope, trams are not blocked for too long by cars there  :D
Thanks! Yes, I hope so too :) Fortunately, there are very few cars at all in central St Edmea.

Quote from: Akallan on March 15, 2016, 04:34:48 PM
It's really beautiful. The castle and the old town is well built, the work is impressive, you'll make me jealous! ;)
Wait to see more, it's always a pleasure to see new pictures in this topic! &apls
Thank you very much! :D

Quote from: michae95l on March 23, 2016, 02:42:02 PM
Wow! What an imaginative transit map! I love the different take; the pictographic take, but still the schematic elements! Great job!
Thanks! Glad you liked it :)

Quote from: vortext on March 23, 2016, 03:41:05 PM
That´s a pretty neat map indeed!  &apls

Curious how you made it!  :thumbsup:
Thanks! :) It was all made in SketchUp, which I exported as a 2D png into paint.net.

Quote from: kbieniu7 on March 25, 2016, 04:50:37 AM
Imaginative way of tramlines' setup. With only three small branches it seems to be the most efficient. I guess, how they are marked on vehicles' destination tables? "Linksabbiegende" and "Rechtsabbiegende"? :D
Thanks! :) I must admit, that I haven't given that problem much thought, but that way sounds the most logical and easy to use!

Quote from: Baltimore on April 06, 2016, 09:55:17 PM
Hey this is RAYNEV1 from simtropolis , your city looks great and that map looks good too .  :thumbsup:
Nice to see you over here! :) And thanks a lot, really glad you liked it!

V: The Waterfront
As you've seen in earlier updates, the Marktsplatz is the starting-point of two roads. One of them follows the shore. This is the older one of the two; it's paved with cobble stone; it's one of the most prestigious addresses in St Edmea and it is the 19th century rendering of the old track wayfarers once took to go deeper into the Alps, and, eventually, the way to Rome herself. In the course of the 19th century, which brought so much to St Edmea, it was widened, made fit for motorised traffic and  turned into a sun-drenched strolling-ground for the good citizens, and the wealthy tourists, of St Edmea.

So the 19th century brought tourists to St Edmea. They came for the Heilanstalt, that we saw in the first update; for the castle; for the clean air; for the picturesque lakeside town – they all came by train. It was with the arrival of the trains, followed by the trams, that the second road from the Marktplatz became relevant. What had previously been only a connection between the castle and the city was now paved and equipped with tram tracks. Since then it has been the main artery of St Edmea.

1. Mosaic

The railway station lies perched atop a high cliff, with views down on the lake itself. Analogous to the Marktplatz, it is the starting-point of two railways – one to Munich, with the train soon arriving, and one less frequented, separate line that follows the lake shore beyond St Edmea. The knowledgeable say, that this latter railway is narrow-gauge, but, honestly, from this distance, it is rather hard to tell the difference. :P

Just below the railway station is the one and only beach in St Edmea. Still, we are early in the season, so it's not yet as crowded as it tends to become.

This way brings us to the palm-decorated place beneath, as the locals affectionately and half-mockingly call them, the marble staircases. Not least is it popular among the chess-bitten citizens, but also among those wanting to relax at the lake shore.

And here we'll end today's walk, by walking out on the pier. On the top of the pier, there is a small walk-way, which can only be reached by climbing a ladder. From it, one can see the whole of St Edmea, and in the distant shadows, one can see the mountains towering over the dark opposite shore. And while we admire the lakeside panorama, the sun slowly begins to set, sinking into the tall, pine-clad mountains west of St Edmea.

But before we end, I want to show you another picture of the roundabout, which was only visible at the edge of the images before. Oh, and it's paved with the highest quality vortext stone-work. ;)

As of now, it's only a (not even TE'd) set of two lots, that I inserted with the help of the most miraculously useful RHW disconnector tool. So it's not functional. Not in the least (except, of course, it does have some park effect). But whatever, I don't really care, as long as it looks decent. The lot solution actually allowed me to add other props, without having the hassle of T21'ing them.

That was it for this time. As always I look forward to hearing your opinions and suggestions. What is good and what could or should I have done differently? If you have any criticism or suggestions, please don't withhold them ;) , as I'll always be happy to discuss them and maybe also implement them. In the end, it's your feedback that helps me improve.

Until next time, see you around! :bye:

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

vester

Really nice work.

Would love to see you work on the embankment. As its now, its a bit bare.

Love the area around the station and the roundabout.

That station in the last picture, can you provide me with a download link, please ?

Themistokles

Quote from: vester on May 04, 2016, 06:02:27 AM
Really nice work.

Would love to see you work on the embankment. As its now, its a bit bare.

Love the area around the station and the roundabout.

That station in the last picture, can you provide me with a download link, please ?
Thanks for the comment. You're right about the embankments, I'll look into what could be done to liven them up a little. The railway station is a relot of vip vnaoned railway station.

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

vortext

With these kind of quality updates I for one don't mind the wait!   :thumbsup:

Now, though I like the uniform texture throughout the city you might want to consider breaking it up here-and-there, if only because I don't think many parents will set their children loose in a playground with a concrete surface!  ;)

Also agreed the embankments could do with a little more attention, however, the mosaic proves there's plenty of detail elsewhere so I'm confident it's just a matter of time before they'll be up to par. Besides, the gorgeous rock shoreline and stunning little beach already make for excellent scenery!  &apls

Finally, I'd love to see an overview of the city some time, JENX' castle foundation offers me some reference in that regard though I'm still puzzling how it fits altogether with previous update.  :D
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Kergelen

I like the combination between xannepan walls and tram-on-road, and the use of diferent walls in general.
Nice work on the close-ups and city details. I like the location of the playground also &apls

Links to SC4 websites

Vizoria

Yet more great pictures. You really are working them textures!

manga rivotra

You are a trully master with Xanepan wall and rocky MMP !  :o
Again, a very inspiring work, still full of details and great ideas !......and this roundabout................  &apls &apls &apls

Akallan

I love, your cities are always very realistic and well planned. It is a pleasure to follow your page, the quality is still there! :thumbsup:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1