• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ennedi plays Shosaloza

Started by Ennedi, August 25, 2007, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

io_bg

What a pity that we can use only one rock mod at a time...
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Ennedi

Mightygoose and Ioan, Thanks fort your constant support! :thumbsup: I hope you will find something interesting in this update as well  :)

I wasn't quite satisfied of the quality of my last rock mods. So I played with textures and settings a bit more.
I think we finally found satisfactory settings for terrain textures. Here is the next report.

1. Sandstone 1.

Enlarged textures described in the last update work quite good. I want to show you another comparation, this time details are better visible. Look also at the texture quality, I'm curious what do you think  ;)

Sandstone 1 - Z3 (ie. Zoom4) - normal version

The same area, the same zoom, but the texture covers larger area (the texture tile is exactly the same, it has the same amount of pixels. But game tiling parameters were changed).

Let's go closer - to Z4 (Zoom 5). Normal version - we can see some repetitions.

And enlarged version (the viewing area is almost the same, slightly moved to the left)

And how does this version look in Z5 (Zoom 6)?  ;)

The normal version would look even better in this zoom, but in my opinion this one is still enough good. So I think we have good settings at this moment  ()stsfd()

Sandstone 1 - normal version in various zooms

And enlarged version in various zooms

2. Sandstone 2

3. Sandstone 3

4. Granite 7

5. Granite 8

This one will be good, but I must change the grass color (or leave it and wait for another terrain textures  ;))

6. Granite 9

7. Granite 10

I will wait for your opinions  :)

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

jeronij

I'd say we are going into trouble here... the oherwhise stunning CP's textures are looking soooo blurried and unrelistic now....  ::)  $%Grinno$%  :D :D

Granite 9 and 8 (in this order) are my favourites so far  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

sithlrd98

OH,my....these all look outstanding! I really like how real the sandstone looks with the shadowing! Awesome job &apls

Jayson

Rayden

Quote from: jeronij on April 26, 2009, 03:48:42 PM...the oherwhise stunning CP's textures are looking soooo blurried and unrelistic now....  ::)  $%Grinno$%  :D :D

For the time being ;)

I like all of them, perhaps more Granites 7 and 9. Sandstone versions  needs to be mirrored and toned down a little, as well as Granite 8. Granite 9 needs to be mirrored as well. But taking off that minor details, they are superb.
When I say mirror the texture is because the game, regardless from where you look at the terrain, the sun always shines from the left, so shadows are always on the right. Those rocks that must be mirrored have the shadows on the opposite side.

Keep up the good work  :thumbsup:

MAS71

Hahahaha...... :D
This is alredy not Sim-City....just like a latest Sim-Earth !? $%Grinno$%
Yes, Fantastci they are !!  &apls &apls
I'm already confused that should I use which mod(design) ?? ;D

May I say a little opinion ?
I like these rocks(especialy 7 - 10), these having real nice pattern I think so.
I hope to that they shoul be more little(bit) to scale of pattern of texture.
i.e. about "One of Crack", A number of repeat in a tile....
(hummmm.... I don't able to find good words for.... :-[

sorry to my selfishes and bad explanation..... :-[

however, I must tell you again that "Wonderful !!:thumbsup:

Pat

Adam I am totaly at a loss for words here wow!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: jeronij on April 26, 2009, 03:48:42 PM
I'd say we are going into trouble here... the oherwhise stunning CP's textures are looking soooo blurried and unrelistic now....  ::)  $%Grinno$%  :D :D

Granite 9 and 8 (in this order) are my favourites so far  ;D

I agree with Jeroni on this one 100%!!!!!! Also I am saying 9 then 8 as well too....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

emilin

I'd say those are probably the best rock modds I have seen. &apls

Jeronij has a point though... they might be TOO good for the available terrain textures, hehe...

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

bat

Those rock mods are looking really beautiful! Nice work there, Ennedi! :thumbsup:

cogeo

These rock mods are awesome Adam!

May I make make a suggestion?
For the sandstone textures maybe reducing luminosity a little and decreasing the red component could help, I think.
Not sure if this should be done for highlights, midtones or shadows, I think it should preferably be done for the total image. Maybe reducing saturation slightly would help too, but I'm note sure, all these settings do interfere, so this might not be needed.

Otherwise an excellent (near perfect) piece of work!

kimcar

&apls &aplsStunning work once again guys. The render is almost perfect  :thumbsup:

mightygoose

my pic are granite 7,9 & 10, 8 just doesnt seem that nice to me. but i do agree with comments that cycledogg now needs an overhaul. XD
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Simpson

Hi Adam  ::)

I'm so sorry that I missed all these Spectacular updates my friend.  :(

I want to comment your port: I must say that this is magnificent, this is so réalistic  :o Your port is maybe the best I've ever seen  &apls I also really like the effects in pictures.. :thumbsup:

Also your work in all these rocks mods is incredible, I really like granite 9 and also granite 7, the others rocks are looking superb too  &apls
I hope to see those rocks mod on the LEX soon  :)

I'm looking forward to the next update my friend.

Take care,

David !!
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Ennedi

Hello my friends!

I am ill from about two weeks, so i limited my activity and didn't contact with anybody - sorry Silvio and Phil, I will talk with you soon!  :)
Now I feel a bit better, but I have a lot of work both in RL and in SC4. I must organize everything what I made, I'm going to choose some of the best mods I made till now and prepare them for testing. I wanted to make it earlier but... $%Grinno$%

But I didn't waste all this time. I played with terrain textures a bit more.
I don't feel enough good to make a full-size update, so;
- Personal replies - next time. Thank you all for nice words and especially for advices! I will take all of them into account.
- Not much comments, only some random pictures. No editing at all. It has a good side - you will see exactly what I see in the game (except quality loss during saving as JPG). I usually improve contrast a bit, but I want to show you new textures unchanged.

However I must comment one important point which was commented by some people. Many of you said that Brian's (Cycledogg) textures look blurred and unrealistic when we compare them with new HD textures. Of course HD textures look better, but please read my last update again! I I described the new technique there. I said that I increased an area covered by the single terrain texture tile. I can't make it for only one texture, I must increase all terrain textures at the same time. Obviously old textures 256x256 pixels large were not prepared for such operation and they look blurred now.
Look at first two pictures in my last update. Look at the grass, not rock. Both pictures are in the same zoom but textures on the second picture are bigger and grass look more blurred. So please don't think bad about Brian's textures!  :) A great part of your feeling is caused by my modification of the game parameters.

And another short information: We can use as large terrain textures as we want! I checked it up to 2048x2048 pixels. But textures don't need to be so large, I will try to find a compromise between the quality and the file size. Rock textures must be the largest, because they are strongly stretched at steep slopes. My current choice for all terrain textures is 1024x1024 pixels.
Making new landscapes will be a huge task and it will need a cooperation of a strong group of talented people. But the new era for SC4 landscapes is coming!  :thumbsup:

I took a sandstone showed in the last update and transformed it into the gray rock. Maybe you will like it more now  :)

Look at the water too  ;)

I added some stones (my intention is to create talus fields as in real mountains, and to have them where I want)

And how these stones look at Zoom 6?  ;)

Some new things on the next picture: You saw this rock yet, but now you can see the new beach mod too. I added also a transition texture between the sand and grass. With or without it, no more ugly sand/grass borders!  ;D
(Of corse the water is new too  ;))

How does it look at Zoom 6?

Some HD trees would be nice  ;D
More beaches

At the end - some pictures with water at various zooms. This is only the first attempt. I see that making a good water mod is not less difficult than the rock mod. I will explain these difficulties next time, this is an interesting theme (and I see the new way of making terrain textures  ;))

Zoom 6

Closer zooms are quite good, but I will have to work at farther ones. This is the main difficulty  ::)
Btw I don't see any problems with the loading time and game running with HD terrain textures  :)

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

sim-al2

Okay now that's just too awesome to fully comprehend. Not to ask a dumb question since I haven't been on for two weeks, but do you plan to release these? Sorry if I didn't read everything and missed something. ::)
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

nerdly_dood

Cliffs will never be the same! Absolutely marvelous!
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

mightygoose

dang, its late ill be back to edit this and expand my comments in the morning.

well well well, the revised cycledogg textures looks great, but that zoom six scree shot... that blew me out the water. the new beack texture could do with a bit of variation but a s a technology demostrator works adequately. the latest rock mod is also superb but i cant help but feel it almost looks black and white, regardless, absolutely stunning.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

JBSimio

Good Lord, Adam!  That is just amazing!   &apls  It almost looks too good really...  $%Grinno$%  Beyond that, I'm at a loss for words...

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

XiahouDun

Really liking those HD rock and sand mods. Some of those shots look so real its stunning.
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

MAS71

May I show pics you took into the wooden-flame on wall of my room ?  ;D

&apls Fnatastic !!  &apls
No more words......Need no words anymore...... /wrrd%&

QuoteRock textures must be the largest, because they are strongly stretched at steep slopes. My current choice for all terrain textures is 1024x1024 pixels.
Yes, It's nice thing you found. :)
I could notice it when I tried to make HD-Texture for my Walls me too. ;)

by the way.....
How long time should I(we) wait and only looking at scenery ?  $%Grinno$% (lol)
I always waiting for completion of these MOD !!  ;)

Cheers. &apls
-Mas'71