• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Belfastsocrates' photo album

Started by belfastsocrates, June 22, 2015, 08:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

belfastsocrates

I enjoy photography greatly and I just thought I'd share some images now and then. Most images I take are with my Nikon D3200 DSLR, with either the 18-55mm or 55-300mm lens. I may also post some I've taken with my iPhone.

I hope you enjoy them, I'm by no means a professional though, this is purely a hobby.

I also welcome any comments or constructive criticism, epsecially from those more experienced with the camera and any editing.

Tulip Stairs, Queen's House (London)

The Painted Hall, Old Naval College (London)

The Waterworks Park (Belfast)

Obel Tower (Belfast)

Triton Lake, Powerscourt (Co. Wicklow, Ireland)

Parliament Buildings (Belfast)
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

peperodriguez2710

Cool! I love how the road is seen in the Parliament Buildings pic.  :thumbsup:

Keep doing nice pictures!  :)

belfastsocrates

Tall Ships Festival 2015 (Belfast)

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

c.p.

Impressive old ships.
The road in the parliament shot couldn't be more perfectly aligned :)

belfastsocrates

Was in Rome and Florence a couple of weeks ago, gorgeous cities. Here's just a handful of images, I'll maybe post some others

belfastsocrates

Just back from another fantastic skiing holiday. I really enjoy my ski break in January, it kick starts the new year for me and gives me something to look forward to after the Christmas holidays.

Been a pretty mild winter in Europe so the snow has struggled in some places but I had some great conditions and the slopes were well maintained and enjoyable!

kbieniu7

Cool (literally) views! Where have you been excatly?
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

belfastsocrates

Quote from: kbieniu7 on February 02, 2016, 05:07:44 AM
Cool (literally) views! Where have you been excatly?

Stayed in El Tarter in Andorra this year and skied most of the Grandvalira region, primarily the El Tarter, Soldeu and Grau Roig sectors. Was a touch on the mild side for a lot of the week though so the odd spring-like snow patch and some sugary moguls, good skiing overall though. Stayed in a hotel when I can ski in and out of the lockers straight to the lifts, great asset.

I really like Andorra, they've done a lot to make the place more upmarket and invested heavily in lifts, nice hotels and their slopes and wider ski area. I avoid El Pas de la Casa though as it's a bit too rowdy and full of young drunks  :D

Swordmaster

Nice pictures! Belfast looks great but not as great as Rome :D

Cheers
Willy

kbieniu7

Quote from: belfastsocrates on February 02, 2016, 05:36:29 AM
Stayed in El Tarter in Andorra this year and skied most of the Grandvalira region, primarily the El Tarter, Soldeu and Grau Roig sectors. Was a touch on the mild side for a lot of the week though so the odd spring-like snow patch and some sugary moguls, good skiing overall though. Stayed in a hotel when I can ski in and out of the lockers straight to the lifts, great asset.

I really like Andorra, they've done a lot to make the place more upmarket and invested heavily in lifts, nice hotels and their slopes and wider ski area. I avoid El Pas de la Casa though as it's a bit too rowdy and full of young drunks  :D

Sounds nice. I've never been in such ski resort, I wish I had chance to go, to admire not only skiing, but such views as well :)
With Andorra, my friends have been there. They told me, that they visited this counstry during a road trip around Western Europe and bought over a dozen litres of spirit (alcohol, used for preparing other liquors. Howver, some people drink it directly), because it was cheaper there, and bring it back to Poland with their small Toyota Yaris filled with stuff :D By the way, how it is with prices? Are you able to compare Andorra to other European resorts?

belfastsocrates

Quote from: kbieniu7 on February 04, 2016, 04:08:46 AM
Sounds nice. I've never been in such ski resort, I wish I had chance to go, to admire not only skiing, but such views as well :)
With Andorra, my friends have been there. They told me, that they visited this counstry during a road trip around Western Europe and bought over a dozen litres of spirit (alcohol, used for preparing other liquors. Howver, some people drink it directly), because it was cheaper there, and bring it back to Poland with their small Toyota Yaris filled with stuff :D By the way, how it is with prices? Are you able to compare Andorra to other European resorts?

Alcohol is very cheap, even in the expensive hotels and they don't tend to pour measured amounts like in most European countries, it's primarily copiously free-poured, something unheard of the UK, I certainly didn't complain though lol.

The cost of the lift pass is similar to most Alpine resorts, the prices have increased over the years to reflect the investment in lifts and pistes. Like anywhere you can opt for cheap or expensive accommodation. It's similar to most other European resorts in that respect, there's the 5 and 4 star hotels or the cheaper hotels and self-catering apartments.

Buying ski equipment here is cheaper also, so you can upgrade your boots or clothing cheaper than most places. I have my own boots and helmet but can't be bothered with the hassle of transporting skis

There's not many taxes in Andorra so overall it's a much cheaper ski holiday than somewhere in Austria or France. However in terms of skiing infrastructure and particularly lifts and the ski school it's one of the best in Europe. When the snow is good in Andorra it can easily rival some of the more famous Alpine resorts. The only downside is the lower altitude and that can make snowfall unpredictable.

belfastsocrates

Been such a busy few months with work and life! I have started playing SC4 again and have some new content to showcase in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, I was my 30th on August 12th so my partner and I went to New York to celebrate. He proposed as well while there....so double celebration  :D

Here's a few snaps

Brooklyn Bridge

Lower Manhattan

Empire State Building & Midtown

View from Top of the Rock

9/11 Memorial

Statue of Liberty

belfastsocrates

I was away on my travels again in early October. Visited Rome again and the gorgeous and beguiling city of Venice

art128

Great pics! Venice is a beautiful city.. was there a lot of tourists?
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

belfastsocrates

Quote from: art128 on October 21, 2016, 07:44:59 AM
Great pics! Venice is a beautiful city.. was there a lot of tourists?

Yes...a lot of them. Though in fairness if you venture beyond the 'hot spots' you can find streets and squares practically deserted. The main sights and streets leading to them are manic though. I really enjoyed the city and I loved wandering the quiet streets, they had a creepy mysterious feel being so narrow and quiet. I would have been lost though without my Google Maps app as the place is a maze. If you can escape the crowds it's a fantastic place to explore.

I'd highly recommend taking one of the boat/canal tours as it's a fantastic way to get away from the crowds and really appreciate the city.

Themistokles

Venice ❤ ... Rome ❤

Great pics :thumbsup:
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

_Michael

Lovely pictures from 3 of my favourite cities. Takes me back to when I visited them. And congratulations on the engagement! Best wishes for both of you! :D

kbieniu7

Venice - a city with poles to "park" your boat, instead of parkmeters :D

belfastsocrates

Some select images from recent travels :)

Lake Garda & Verona

Paris

County Donegal & County Mayo