• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Post-BAT lot creation

Started by nathkel, August 01, 2015, 01:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathkel

Okay, I've used the BAT to create my lots on gmax. Now I need to create the lots. The tutorials say I use the Plugin manager (PIM) next to create I guess the ready-made exemplars. However, the PIM is impossible to use and it's a bit ridiculous to empty my Plugins folder except for those things I'm working on. ???  In short, it takes forever for the PIM to load just the Props and Textures.

I am comfortable using iLive's Reader, so I'd like to use that to create a file that can be then used in the Lot Editor (LE). I looked in the manual, have tinkered around in the menu items and can't find anything equivalent to "New file." The Reader will load the generated FSH and S3M files but what I need I think are the appropriate exemplars.

So I figure I have two options in Reader: copy any existing lot and modify the existing exemplars and other attributes. But I'm worried about conflicting TGIs. What do I need to make sure of if I use a copied lot?

The other option is to create a new lot with iLives Reader, but I'm sure different lot types require certain information, and must have all the required properties listed. Is there an easy way to create the exemplar from scratch with all the correct info? Is there a list which shows which attributes each lot/exemplar type needs?

BTW, I'm creating a lot with only a texture being applied, which I know how to do in the LE. The LE will not load the lot without its proper exemplars.

mgb204

Honestly whilst I sympathise about PIM being crap, emptying your plugins folder is kinda necessary, especially if you've anything like multiple GBs of content.

You'd be better off installing SC4-PIM-X, you can simply select which subfolders to load upon startup, making the process much easier. From the main screen you can take your exported model and turn it into a prop or building, edit/adjust properties (many of which have pre-defined profiles with values already set) and jump straight into the in-built lot editor which is vastly more powerful and useable than the Maxis one.

You could in theory copy an existing lot and buildings exemplar in the Reader (assuming you want to use the model as a building), but you will need to adjust/change quite a few values in order to ensure it works correctly, not least the TGI of the exemplars, although that's easy, Right mouse and Generate new Group and Instance takes care of that for you. If that really seems like a better way for you - I do it to duplicate lots quickly quite often myself - just post again and I'll run down the list of values that need changing when doing this for you.

nathkel

Excellent advice! I had PIM-X at one time but got rid of it for some reason. Now that I'm doing actual work, maybe I should look at that again.