• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BSC LEX Superior Collection

Started by xxdita, March 14, 2020, 05:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxdita

The BSC Team proudly presents our first ever LEX Superior Collection, Suburbia. This is an all-inclusive set featuring Residential lots & buildings created by many different BSC team members.

Just click the Download Dependencies button, then install Residentials stage 1 through 6 from:

BarbyW
mattb325
SimGoober
CP
girafe
JBSimio
D66
gascooker
Colyn
deadwoods
jestarr
ripptide
swi21

This being our first collection of this sort, your feedback will help shape the collections to come.

Mad_genius

Hi there!! This is, IMHO, a really good idea.

Here's my humble 2 cents on the matter.
I would love if these packs could be released as a "DatPacked" file and a Cleanitol file. That IMHO would increase the user-experience, and possibly help with loading time and removal of outdated versions of the content.

I understand that this may clash with possible "copyright" considerations, and would introduce additional complexity on the elaboration of the packs, especially when dealing with prop packs that are likely to be shared with other content. But it would be really amazing.  ;D ;D

Just my humble feedback.  ::) ::)

xxdita

The total package is about 450MB, zipped. That would be far too large a dat for the game to function smoothly, or at all for some players.

None of the files have been updated for content in any way for this Collection, so forcing players to update them and disturb whatever file organization or DatPacking system they already have in place is totally pointless.

Keeping the files as they are on the LEX allows players to pick and choose which assets to install, or which to skip over as they please. It also allows the creators of these files the ability to easily update their creations as they need or choose to going forward, which makes it easier for players to keep up with the most recent versions without having to download a 450MB file for each update, no matter how minor.

It also allows me (or any LEX Admin) to easily add new and existing content to the Collection at any time. That would be more trouble than it's worth if the files were merged into even a handful of dats. The included txt file can be updated as this is done, triggering the LEX to show that there has been an update in everyone's Download History, but then players would only need to download the added content, via Dependency Tracker.

Many of the prop packs used as dependencies for this collection will be common for future collections as well. Duplicating the files would just lead to wasted bandwidth (server and user), take up unnecessary hard drive space for users, and needlessly slow down game performance for anyone using multiple collections.

So there are so many reasons not to merge the files, before we even get to the discussions of copyright. But I greatly appreciate that we are able to make such a Collection available that honors and promotes our LEX content creators instead of possibly alienating them.

Mad_genius

Totally understandable reasons. :D :D

As I said previously, it's a great idea anyway.
Thanks for the effort in creating and maintaining this sort of collections.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

xxdita

Tyberius06

Hi Nate!

I managed to download the second superior pack. It looks good, two small things. I don't know the NCD Railyard textures is a dependency for what, but it might worth to add as an additinal dependency the RealRailway (RRW) NCD BSC Texture pack Update too. Since we don't have a release date yet for the next NAM and specially the RRW Reskin Mod, this texture update could be useful for (new) RRW users.
The other thing, that I have all of SPA's creations extracted already. I did it last summer. I know you have other additional plans with BSC creations, but these are already out of the installers. So let me know if you need them.

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

xxdita

Quote from: Tyberius06 on March 23, 2020, 02:54:24 AM
Hi Nate!

I managed to download the second superior pack. It looks good, two small things. I don't know the NCD Railyard textures is a dependency for what, but it might worth to add as an additinal dependency the RealRailway (RRW) NCD BSC Texture pack Update too. Since we don't have a release date yet for the next NAM and specially the RRW Reskin Mod, this texture update could be useful for (new) RRW users.
The other thing, that I have all of SPA's creations extracted already. I did it last summer. I know you have other additional plans with BSC creations, but these are already out of the installers. So let me know if you need them.

- Tyberius

The whole point of these Collections is to provide starter packages for those joining the community. So I don't want to complicate things by adding any mods or texture replacements for now.

As players learn about what custom content is available, they can seek these things out. In time, I hope to be able to provide more specialized packs, especially for CAM. But I'm gonna keep them simple for now.

FrankU

Hi guys,

If ever you feel like making a farming pack and consider to add non-BSC stuff: you have permission to add my stuff.
The idea of starter packs is really great and I would be glad to help other players out.

Frank

xxdita

BSC LEX Superior Collection Vol03 is on the LEX!

This Collection features Dirty, Manufacturing, and High Tech Industrial lots to add variety to your cities.

Remember to use the Dependency Tracker to download the whole package.

One word of caution on this Collection: Some downloads will include both vanilla and CAM versions. So please make sure to choose the version that matches your playstyle.

Enjoy!

Mad_genius

Quote from: xxdita on March 29, 2020, 02:18:47 AM
One word of caution on this Collection: Some downloads will include both vanilla and CAM versions. So please make sure to choose the version that matches your playstyle.

Yup!! I've noticed that half way through the list.  :-[ :-[
Gona have to do a "double check" on it to spot and remove those "non-CAM" versions.  :P :P

A quick question. Is it possible to place an indication of those downloads on the dependency tracker list? Just to be easier to spot.

Shandra

Brilliant Idea! Instead of skimming through my mostly unsorted SC4 Download-Archive (grown since 2004) and fearing that I will mess up a new Install (thats what kept me from playing since I bought it ~5years ago on GoG), I now have a good base to start again! Many, many thanks for that!  :thumbsup:

One question for now: Besides from being a "BSC" Collection, any particular reason for CAM 1 instead of 2? Or is it safe to choose ones prefered Version of it?