• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilfried

I've just discovered a capacity problem:

For no apparent reason, TLA-5 seems to have a lower capacity than MAVE-4 and TULEP-Ave, altough query says they all are based on the Road network.

Could it be TLA-5 works like an intersection all over its length?

SimNation

Great job on getting so much into the 1st release of the NWM. A shame I cannot play the game til my pc is back up but this release just makes me want to play the game even more now.Cannot wait to see if my sims will prefer the drive then using mass transit with some of these setups in place.

Jack_wilds

Quote from: Patricius Maximus on May 09, 2010, 06:39:22 PM
One could scarcely conceive of the enormous exhilaration, joy, and gratitude that I feel on this day, with RHW 4.0 being released, a new NAM being released, and the long-awaited Network Widening Mod.

Thank you very much for your wonderful work over the past 4 years. Without it, my cities would be unrecognizable, and with these tremendous new tools you have provided me, they will go through a similar transformation over the Spring and Summer of 2010.

here...here or is it hear...hear   :D

&apls &apls &apls

sincere thanks to everyone on the nam team

Jack

Kevin1a

Quote from: Wilfried on May 10, 2010, 01:30:23 PM
I've just discovered a capacity problem:

For no apparent reason, TLA-5 seems to have a lower capacity than MAVE-4 and TULEP-Ave, altough query says they all are based on the Road network.

Could it be TLA-5 works like an intersection all over its length?

Hmmm, I have also been having a lot of capacity issues with the TLA-5 I built.  I didn't want to deface my MD city with American Textures, so I used a neighbouring tile to build a NWM test city, and at first I attributed the backups to intercity commuters (there are a ton of them), but eventually I noticed congestion popping up in strange places.  I am writing a 7 page research paper right now, but when I'm done, I may post some screenshots.

Wilfried

Well, I checked again with DrawPaths enabled; this thing IS an intersection for all of its length. That's understandible, though, because it wouldn't work as supposed if it weren't 'all-intersected'.

Tarkus

yddot, that appears to be at least partially the result of the "wealthification" we did on the transition pieces.  It works alright most of the time, but sometimes, particularly if it's on a slope, you might run into some slight interlacing between the wealth textures and piece model.  

Wilfried, if you're running into capacity problems on the TLA-5, it's likely because you have an incompatible simulator installed.  Continuing to use anything other than the new NAM Unified Simulator, Simulator A or Simulator B can result in severe reduction in capacity on many of the NWM networks.  It should be described in the Readme and in the FAQ.

Quote from: Starmanw402007 on May 10, 2010, 09:37:46 AM
Last night I tested the NWM with the center lane for turning only with the police cruiser. when i drove on the TLA-3, the cruiser was weaving in and out
of the middle lane. Is That a bug or what? cause i cause me drop out of the
u-drive it mode.

It's a side-effect of the crossover path functionality that pops up from time to time.  It's especially noticeable in UDI on the TLA-3.  It's recommended you turn off "Snap To Roads" if trying to use UDI on a TLA-3.

As far as the "missing texture" glitch some folks have been running into on Wide-Radius Curves, it appears to be endemic to users who have the NWM installed but not the RHW.  That particular texture was part of smoncrie's MORPH Curves package, which was used to make the NWM curves and the RHW-2 and MIS curves in the RHW, but somehow didn't make it into the NetworkWideningMod.dat file.  It's attached below now, though, and will be added into the main file once we're sure that's it as far as fixes.

-Alex

Wilfried

Quote from: Tarkus on May 10, 2010, 03:25:37 PMWilfried, if you're running into capacity problems on the TLA-5, it's likely because you have an incompatible simulator installed.  Continuing to use anything other than the new NAM Unified Simulator, Simulator A or Simulator B can result in severe reduction in capacity on many of the NWM networks.  It should be described in the Readme and in the FAQ.
Well, I checked again with DrawPaths enabled; now I see this thing IS an intersection for all of its length. That's understandible, though, because it wouldn't work as supposed if it weren't 'all-intersected'. And yes, I know what the new simulators are about and how they work...

yddot

Tarkus, thanks for the reply.  Do you have any suggestions for minimizing this issue, since it appears most other people aren't experiencing it, or at least aren't experiencing it 100% of the time as I am?  Perhaps any conflicting plugins?  Thanks again for all your hard work!

superhands

yddot, it is not the result of conflicting plugins that's for sure. the main issue has to do with the height the textures are displayed in game. It's prtty much guess work as to the height of normal textures then figuring out the best height for the model. In some instances we are talking about .025 difference. so really it is a development issue that we will improve upon in a later version. As for now i'd recommend making sure they are built on absolute flat tiles -the transition that is.

-Dave

yddot

Dave, thanks for the information.  Just so you know, the first picture I posted has transition pieces that are on perfectly flat land.  I'm only making you aware so that you know that perhaps something else is at play here, rather than varying elevations.  So I'm not complaining--just giving you guys feedback so you can continue to build upon the already amazing stuff you've provided to us!  Thanks again.

fighter_jingyu

well hello everyone here~
First of all, thanks to Tarkus and all the other NAM Team members for their great job of NWM, which gave us an opporunity to build widen urban streets in the game :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Secondly, i do also found the bug, which pointed out by Mas71 san last page.
those NWM curve pieces have some RGB tiles around them.
and here i'll say, i have installed the latest NAM system and i'm sure everything of my NAM stuff is up to date.
but the bug occured only when i remove the RHW v4 folder from my Plugins, and when i put RHW back to my Plugins folder, guess what,
these curve pieces worked functionally.
So i guessed, these NWM curve pieces should quoted some unknown textures, which was included in the RHW.
And considering both RHW and NWM's creator is Tarkus, so...may i irresponsibly say he didn't notice these missed textures are found in RHW and just quoted them to NWM anyway, and all the test members have RHW and NWM at a same time when they testing those Modds, no problems! and thus this bug came out.

i don't mean to censure someone, it was just my hypothesis why the bug appears.
i do know everyone of NAM Team is extreme busy at work, but still brings us countless new stuff for several years.
and we'd appreciate about that :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

and here are 2 pics below, which support my words..

and

have a nice day to everyone ;D

PS: oh when i finally post the rely i noticed Tarkus had already upload a fix to the bug. thanks my friend, and i'll have a test again
thanks again:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PS2: and i put this small fix to the NWM folder, it seems the bug had corrected?

thanks for Tarkus's great job again and again, and sorry for the huge size of the pics :-[
whale :thumbsup:

~Whale's Christchurch~ a place nearby

medit84truth

()what()

When I select any of the NWM or TLA puzzle pieces from the menu I get this message in the dialogue box above the piece I'm trying to place:

##Intersection Placement String Missing##

Does anyone know what this means?

The game displays a green arrow along with the preview of the puzzle piece, but when I try to place it on the terrain it doesn't show up. It's there because I tried to run another network over the tiles and got a red strip. It even bulldozes, showing the cost of destruction when I drag it over the invisible puzzle piece.

MAS71

@Tarkus
I solved a problem about RGB-tiles on curve lots thanks to you !  :thumbsup:
Thank you for update a fix-file, and your quickly support always.  ;)

and

I had find a problem again as medit84truth said.
but it was in RHW curves Lot (not NWM) ;D

Andreas

@Masuda-san: The icons in your screenshot are the RHW 3.0 icons, so please check your NAM folder if the old files are still there.
Andreas

TJ1

Quote from: medit84truth on May 10, 2010, 08:44:40 PM
()what()

When I select any of the NWM or TLA puzzle pieces from the menu I get this message in the dialogue box above the piece I'm trying to place:

##Intersection Placement String Missing##

Does anyone know what this means?

The game displays a green arrow along with the preview of the puzzle piece, but when I try to place it on the terrain it doesn't show up. It's there because I tried to run another network over the tiles and got a red strip. It even bulldozes, showing the cost of destruction when I drag it over the invisible puzzle piece.

You need the new "May 2010 NAM Essentials" that should fix a majority of your problems. And delete "all" of any old NAM files, It solved mine

Wilfried

Now that the OWR-4 is available for everyone, could you guys do an 'OWR-4-to-Dual-OWR-2' splitter like the one from RHW-8 to dual RHW-4?

samerton

Quote from: yddot on May 10, 2010, 07:55:07 AM
I've been checking this website daily for years in anticipation for the release of this module...now that it's here, I am STUNNED!  Thank you guys for all your hard work!

I did want to point out an issue I'm having so that you're aware.  I'm having issues with the rendering of transition pieces.  Please look at the attached photos for examples.

Thanks again!

This one's obvious:

In this one, look at the transition from 2-way to 3-way ONR:

I have had that problem too, but it was only when I started zoning around it or when development started. Great mod though, it is only a small problem that I don't mind having, as the overall mod is outstanding =)

MAS71

@Andreasr san
Oh my !  $%Grinno$%
Thank you for helps Andreas san, and sorry for my misunderstanding medit84truth:-[
Rural High Way MOD, Real High Way MOD, and Rural Road Plugins.....
I'm confused well with these helpful good MODs. ;D

I'll check that later and try again too.  ;)
Thank you always Andreas san !!

cheezebs

When I am trying to place my roads the cursor never turns green, it stays red.  ()what() Am i supposed to build a road and then place it over that? But even then it doesn't turn green. I've tried to do everything I can but it just doesn't turn green. Can I get some advise that will help me solve this problem? That would be great if anyone could help me out.   :thumbsup:

starfinder9659

on the Turning Lane Avenue, lanes and the turning lane road and I am in udi mode and I have my car locked to the road the car always turns in to that little turning lane and I can not do anything about it, then the car fades away and udi mode is funished! also the normal traffic is always going into that lane and dissapering? why?

thank you