• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GLR & Tram-Avenues - Help and Development

Started by Chrisim, May 11, 2008, 04:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisim

@Mad_genius, Z
there are two different types how a highway/tram-avenue intersection with onramps can be modded.
1) using one big puzzle piece (like the highway/avenue intersection in the upper part of the left image, just with tram-avenue instead of avenue), or
2) using modular ramps (lower part of left image; no it is not possible to create it with a published version of the NAM).
The first type would be much easier to plop.
The second type would allow modular intersections (i.e., with less than all four ramps), but is difficult to plop, and do we need such intersections with two or three ramps only?
What do you prefer? Please do not reply both.  ;)
An alternative that can be created with the present NAM is shown in the right image.

@SimNation
Diagonal intersections are on the list to do. Modding of diagonal pieces is more complex, that's why they were not created yet ...

z

I would definitely vote for Option 1.  Not only is it easier to plop, but I also think it looks better.  Additionally, I think the modular intersection is overkill, in that the use of such an intersection would not justify the work it requires, the extra pieces in the menus, and the added complexity in general.

joelyboy911

Is option 2 a GLR-In-Ave under EL-Hwy, then a OWR/GLR-In-Ave crossing, then the OWR Straight On-Ramp? If so I vote for that, and anyway isn't that just the same as making a GLR-In-Ave under EL-Hwy puzzle piece, as the rest of them already exist?
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Chrisim

You are a good observer. It's right, option 2 is a GLR-In-Ave under EL-Hwy, then a OWR/GLR-In-Ave crossing, then the OWR Straight On-Ramp.
For the image, only the OWR/GLR-In-Ave crossing was changed, because the present version cannot be plopped in this situation.
So the poll is at 1:1  :-\

Mad_genius

Personally I agree with z. Option 1 would be perfect for me.
On the other hand other people might prefer option 2 because of the modular possibilities.

So I guess that makes the poll stand at 2:2.

What I would suggest is to have the option 1 puzzle piece as part of the elevated highway intersections menu. We would have to press tab until we find the intersection we want.

k808j

We  ()borg() vote for option 1. Simpler is better.

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

newsimaddict

I agree with previous voters, option 1 is simpler and more straight forward. is this getting off-topic by asking if this will be done for game highway only or also with elevated rh4 puzzle pieces as well? I have no idea of the behind-the-scene work to create these kinds of pieces and if this is actually possible...i've read that there can be issues with putting new networks over each other etc (but that might sound like a whole heap of rubbish to those in the know - sorry if so!)

Great work to the master puzzle pieces out there!  :)

metarvo

I'm voting for option 2, because it looks more flexible than option 1.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Terring7

I prefer option 2, it's more flexible and futuristic :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

SC4BOY

I believe other pieces are needed.. I realize that there was a rush to get the "Playable Experience" out there, but I guess there was not enough time to go through other menu items and say "is this piece affected by the newly added item".

The item I'm looking at right now is the ROAD-OVER-GLRinAve piece. This should probably technically be in the ROAD PUZZLE PIECES menu item, but the need is generated by the GLRinAve stuff

Some other items which are of the nature of what is there, but this case was overlooked. I have posted on the GLR-Ave turn case, but I see there are the added GLR-St and GLR-Rd cases that are identical. The Road/GLR and Street/GLR pieces where the road or street turns, but the GLR continues straight.. such as might occur near a turnaround or the maintenance area or even a station. It would be represented like this:

(R-GLR)(R-GLR)(R-GLR)(R-GLR)GLR GLR GLR      (St-GLR)(St-GLR)(St-GLR) GLR GLR GLR
                                     Rd                                                      St

There are others probably that others have noted which I have not come across yet.

Plus I've moved this item to this thread as I apparently posted it in the wrong place:

I'm not sure if I'm requesting new pieces or if I just don't know how to use the current pieces. I am trying to make GLR in Ave cross various common intersections while on the diagonal. I found the orthogonal to diagonal pieces and the pieces to continue the GLR-AVE in a diagonal fashion, but when I come to cross other things, I can find no way to do it.. for example crossing streets, roads, one-ways, tracks, etc etc... I've tried to cross with oneway pieces and to use the "draggable" El-Rail to GLR "starter pieces. I can make either the GLR or the Ave's cross, but I can't put the parts together. What am I missing? Or is this just part of some "future plan"?

KrigarN

I have a proposal to GLR-in-Ave, that I have posted at Pegasus site (Simpeg). Although I'm too lazy to copy the topic, I'm posting a link to it:
http://simpeg.com/forum/index.php?topic=7814.msg161901;topicseen#new
[Insert signature]

RogerRon91

QuoteI have a proposal to GLR-in-Ave, that I have posted at Pegasus site (Simpeg). Although I'm too lazy to copy the topic, I'm posting a link to it:
http://simpeg.com/forum/index.php?topic=7814.msg161901;topicseen#new

WOW Iam amazing!

It's really, really nice! I like your idea.
Um well .... I know my English is enhanceable. =)

newsimaddict

that looks really sweet. there's an avenue here (st georges rd) in melbourne very much like it...other than it has a bike trail in the middle of it!

Thought I'd show you a pic or 2 of my work with glr & t-ram for a puzzle piece in mind...

As there is no puzzle piece for glr-under-rhw-4, I played around for what it seemed hours before converting to subway and going underneath it all. As new puzzle pieces come out, I'll slowly update my tiles but until then, this works great!

HeinBloed4711

Hi guys,

I have a little request for an additional "Tram-Avenue under x" puzzle piece, namely a "Tram-Avenue under Ped Mall". I like to use ped malls in conjunction with bus stations on avenues to allow commuting Sims to cross the avenue , without having to create an intersection with an additional road, because that increases congestion. Here's an image to illustrate what I mean:

Edit:

I hope I'm not coming across as being greedy, but I've found another "nice-to-have" puzzle piece tonight, which would be a tram-avenue-rail crossing. I made a workaround like this, which also shows what piece exactly I lack:

(also removed the preview image since I read somewhere else people prefer the full version here)

Korot

Last piece will be difficult if not impossible, as it involves 3 networks on one tile, which hasn't been made to work yet.

Regards,
Korot

joelyboy911

@Korot, Isn't there a rail over tram-in-ave? So that is 3 networks on one tile, no? And besides, I think pedestrian paths come as part of the road netowrk, so its not really adding another type of network onto the tile.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Korot

Regarding rail over Tram-in-avenue: I have to check in game, might report back latter today.
Regarding Ped paths: I said last one, I didn't speak about his first request, which would indeed be possible in my opinion.

Regards,
Korot

Jonathan

It is possible, there is Rail viaduct over Avenue/GLR. If you use that piece it will be functional although it will not look right. A piece like that was deemed unrealistic but I agree it would be very useful.

EDIT: Korot to save you the trouble the piece is shownby SC4Boy a few posts down

Korot

... Then why was I always told that three networks on one tile was impossible?

Regards,
Korot

z

The reason is that until a few months ago, that was what was universally believed.  Three networks on a tile came as a surprise to everybody.