• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to extend a harbour very precisely and without any danger

Started by FrankU, December 04, 2008, 02:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankU

As we all know, there are indeed several ways to extend harbours and other coastlines into the sea.
Most methods need the Mayor-mode or God-mode terraforming tools. Another way is to use Terraformer by Wouanagaine.
I found another trick that is easy, very versatile, and without any danger of destroying existing parts of your city.

What you need is the NAM and Ennedi's experimental slope mod for land bridges and flat extensions. This makes the slope exactly flat. Can you still call that a slope?
You can find the mod here:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=364.msg202965#msg202965
See reply nr 23.

Install it and fire up your game.

Here you see one of these fine parts of your harbour, but.... there seems to be missing something. You want another pier on this spot. What to do?
Usually we pick the God-mode flattening tool. This forces us to blow up some parts of the existing constructions. It is not always as exact as we wish and we always need to do some repairing. More lots are blown up by accident. You port becomes a mess. Especially if you do this late at night after a beer or two.
But now that is not necessary anymore.

There, in the corner to the left, you decide to to make another pier.
Blow up the seawall and the industrial lot.

Then you lay down a road to stabilize the level. Now you pick the road onramp puzzle piece.

You place the onramp as shown here and the underwater tiles are lifted up to the level of the road. Your extension is perfectly flat!

And you can extend as much as you want.

Blow up the onramps.

Of course you can lay another road and widen the pier....
You can do anything you like.

Then you fill the pier with lots as you wish....

This story has another ending if you do not use Ennedi's slope mod.
Look. I show you on a freshly terrafomed plain for future harbour extension.
Lay down a road for the level.

Then place the road onramp.

And put some more.

If you blow up the first tiles of the onramps, you will see that you have built road tiles under water!

Useless, I guess, but funny. Not?

RippleJet

Thank you FrankU for a tutorial that anyone wanting to build a seaport needs to read! :thumbsup:

ScottFTL

Fantastic discovery, FrankU!   :thumbsup:

I've tried this in the game, and it works like a charm.  I think this is the easiest way yet for building harbors.

Thank you!   &apls

homefryes

Quote from: FrankU on December 04, 2008, 02:10:06 PMUseless, I guess, but funny. Not?

Hey, not useless – I think that last method would be quite useful for creating gently, evenly sloping beaches. &idea Thanks for this great tutorial!

— Don
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

Shiftred

squidi

JoeST

hey frank, ace idea, any possibility that we can copy it to the wiki?

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

FrankU

Quote from: squidi on December 05, 2008, 12:37:22 AM
i wished i had known that earlier ;)

Me too! But it is a new possibility, because without Ennedi's "flat slope mod" it is not possible.

Quote from: JoeST on December 05, 2008, 08:26:55 AM
hey frank, ace idea, any possibility that we can copy it to the wiki?

Joe

Sure! go ahead. I must admit I never heared about the Wiki until this week...

And as a smal addition:
It is possible to use the other puzzle pieces, like the avenue roundabout, the ground-elevated highway onramp etc. But they sometimes give unwanted results, because their placement is more tricky. And because you can place a road onramp on top of the last tile of an already existing onramp you are sure of a nice and flat area.

JoeST

frank, thanks for the permision, why dont you try adding your tut to the wiki?

Jow
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

FrankU

Maybe I can do that. It is probably not too difficult. I just don't know how to do it yet.... Need some time to find out and actually do it. Not now....

CasperVg

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

FrankU

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

girlfromverona

ashleybynes

chibytuga