• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tom's BATs

Started by tomvsotis, November 25, 2017, 03:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomvsotis

Quote from: matias93 on February 25, 2019, 07:25:20 AM
About the retaining walls, 11241036 did a little experiment with that and published it on the STEX.
And: oh! Thanks heaps for this; I decided against the cut-in option for this lot, but this may well come in handy for the future. Much appreciated!

matias93

Beautiful, nothing more to say  &apls

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

manga rivotra

I already love this little jewel !  :)
The pedbridge is a great touch with these 2 separate railings. By the complexity of the roofs, the set already has a certain cachet.  &apls &apls &apls
I guess this kind of station is quite common on old European type lines. If you could make several models (with variants in the color of bricks or roof material for example), you will make a lot of players happy! (if you have the time of course) ;).

tomvsotis

Anyone got any idea why this might be happening?

The model looks fine when I actually place it in PIM-X, but if I try to use it in-game, I get the red-green-blue-black checker pattern over the part of the LOD that's marked red above.

I've tried rendering the BAT again in case there was a glitch, then re-exporting the LODs in case that was the problem (and then rendering again)... still the same. I created a whole new Max file, merged in the data from the old one... nope. Same. Earlier versions of the model worked fine; sadly, I can't isolate exactly where this started happening, bc I don't render/export that often (it takes ages on this old computer.) Anyway, anyone come up against this?

And @manga rivotra: I like that idea! Just gotta get it working first :-/

c.p.

Did you install the "Texture Fix" update to the BAT found here?:
http://www.sc4devotion.com/maxis/ModelNames.zip

(Install it with the gmax scripts)

tomvsotis

Quote from: c.p. on March 03, 2019, 02:04:00 PM
Did you install the "Texture Fix" update to the BAT found here?:
http://www.sc4devotion.com/maxis/ModelNames.zip

(Install it with the gmax scripts)
Thank you, and sorry for the delayed response -- been busy w RL for the last few days. It seems the issue was w the size of the auto-generated LODs -- I moved all the vertices outward by a tiny amount, which seems to have fixed the problem -- but I have also downloaded and installed this, so hopefully whatever problems I might have run into at some point due to lacking this fix will now be avoided!

tomvsotis

Anyone got any advice on how to get rid of this moiré pattern on the roof of my model at Z5 level? It's on a corrugated roof, wherein the corrugations are actually modeled -- I've used similar constructions before, and never had this problem. I've tried rendering at a higher number of samples per pixel (middle model) and increasing the distance between corrugations (right model), but neither seem to help. Anyone ever run into a similar issue?

mattb325

It can take some fiddling to get the moire effect to disappear. I usually model corrugated metal quite simply, like so, which seldom gives much grief: _|_.

If however, you've modeled it more like this: ~~, then my suggestion is to use the model with the largest spacing and making the texture noisier, rougher or busier (or all three) which can help. Additionally, sometimes changing the hue of the material can also do wonders. If that doesn't work, then the only option is to space the corrugation even further apart.

tomvsotis

Hmm, yeah, I have modeled it like ~~. Thanks for your advice -- lots of stuff to try! It's frustrating bc this model is basically ready, and I want to release it!

tomvsotis

Well, this is finished! It's a landmark with C$$ jobs, based on a real old art deco building here in Melbourne. It comes in two lot sizes -- a tight 2x3 lot for dense/W2W areas, and a more spacious 3x4 version for the suburbs. There are also growable versions at both sizes. Unfortunately, half its dependencies are on the LEX, so I'm not gonna release it until the site is back up (although if anyone actually wants it, I'd be more than happy to send it over.) But still: I finished something! Hurrah!

(Thanks again to Mattb325 for his advice on the moiré issue!)

PaPa-J

Congrats for finishing it.  I like the texture work.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

tomvsotis

Quote from: PaPa-J on June 30, 2019, 07:59:59 AM
Congrats for finishing it.  I like the texture work.
Thank you! :)

tomvsotis

With the LEX back up and running, this BAT is now available for download:
https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3837

Ramona Brie

Found an issue with the Nimmo St Apartments at one angle, zoom 3:

They look normal at zoom 4:

tomvsotis

Quote from: Ramona Brie on July 11, 2019, 03:06:12 PM
Found an issue with the Nimmo St Apartments at one angle, zoom 3:

They look normal at zoom 4:

Ugh. Thanks for letting me know. Lemme have a look and see if i can work out what's going on. It's just happening w that lot?

tomvsotis

Hmmm, OK, looks like something just got borked w the rendering of that model. Re-rendering it now (and giving it a couple of little tweaks in the process); I'll upload a fixed version ASAP.

tomvsotis

OK, I've fixed the problem, and am currently trying to upload the fixed version to the LEX. The LEX ... doesn't seem to be enjoying this, I fear, but for Ramona Brie and anyone else who wants the fix, you can also download it from this Dropbox link.

In other news, here's my latest project -- an industrial model based on an old flour mill here in Melbourne!

Krasner

Awesome silos  &apls &apls
ANARCHIST !!

Barroco Hispano

B E A U T I F U L!

maybe if you make good UVs I could texture it in substance painter but first I should create the materials in substance designer  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwusznnkRxo&t=361s

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_N2rkMhk7Q
Barroco Hispano

PaPa-J

Very nice indeed, great detail work. The fire escape is perfect.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.