• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ploppable Industry, any negative effects!?

Started by rw0381c, January 21, 2007, 06:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rw0381c

This is going to sound like the most novice question ever, and I don't even know if I'm posting it in the right place. So, Mods, if I post this in the wrong place, please understand that I am clueless!

The question is as follows, I have downloaded tons of great industry lots (thanks to jestarr, gascooker, tag_one, BSC), most of which I cannot get to grow. I notice that some of these are located in my LM menu, and are ploppable with jobs. Is there any negative effect created by me plopping these lots?

I hope this is clear enough, otherwise let me know and I'll try to clarify!

R

your_adress_here

It probably depends how the person who created it decided to mod the lot.
Bookah!

Colyn

The PLOP Industrials from the BSC are working ... so are the plop commercials ... the only thing with a plop Industrial is that it almost always reports the Freight Trips as long.

Technically they work and they are safe to use.
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

rw0381c

Thanks Colyn!

Now, in regards to the freight trips being long, is there a higher chance that these could dilapidate versus grown Industrial lots?

R

Serkanner

Quote from: rw0381c on January 21, 2007, 09:25:05 AM
Thanks Colyn!

Now, in regards to the freight trips being long, is there a higher chance that these could dilapidate versus grown Industrial lots?

R

Ploppable Freight doesn't generate any freight at all, one of the restrictions of ploppable RCI ... thats why its registers the trip as long. When you query the lot it will show no freight trucks are leaving. As far as I know it doesn't have a higher chance of dilapidating then growable lots.

rw0381c

Thanks Serkanner!

You BSC folks are quick! But, to further my knowledge, which is minute to begin with, what about the jobs!? When I plop tag_one's Oil Refinery for instance, jobs show 212/212 (I think! I've got bones_1 Industry Doubler.) even if there's no residents in the city tile. Do the jobs get reparted to the other inhabited city tiles?

I must be coming across as the most novice player ever!  :D

R

jeronij

Quote from: rw0381c on January 21, 2007, 09:55:05 AM
Thanks Serkanner!
I must be coming across as the most novice player ever!  :D

R

I dont think so  $%Grinno$% . I am also a newbie when it comes to these things, and I find this thread quite interesting. I will keep an eye on it  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Colyn

That is something that I always smile about ... the plop is full of workers in the UI but the Commute Queery tool shows no workers ...

Usually after a month or so these numbers adjusts to what is available and if there is not enough the plop goes down the drain. The Twin Towers from Rubik is a good example of the severe effects a big plop can have region wide. If you plop that Towers your CO$$$ demand accross the region dives through the floor and stays there for a long time untill you have a population growth of around 300,000 new Sims in the region.

BTW ... we all started as novices.  :P
Come see CSX Play

rw0381c

Thanks again Colyn!  :)

So, the best way to go about it would be to plop in stages. Plop, and then let the jobs fill up, then repeat the cycle!? And in the case of a large plop like the one you described, would that building not then dilapidate? Or does dilapidation only apply to grown lots?

Sorry for all the questions!

R

keithsed

Keep asking the questions and I'll keep lurking and learning a lot.

Your questions are right on the mark for us newbies. :thumbsup:

Keith

Colyn

Well sadly ... a PLOP that goes black is gone ... once the workers has gone to zero and stayed there for more than a month then the building will not recover ... the Road Query will show sims working there but the UI will tell you there are ZERO workers.

So when you plop you have to make sure that your demands are ok with that. Watch out for most of my creations ... some of them has high numbers because I do my job calculation per TILE of the lot and not related to the building only.

We tend to build nice lots with some room and plants etc. but that eats real estate and by not compensating for that we have seen the overall job capasities of cities have fallen drastically. So I am making up for that. A simple example is a Strawberry farm that I did ... it is a growable and it has 80 jobs I think ... the game farms has 2 and 4 and 6 ... funny thing is that the Strawberry farm does not dilappidate easilly. My fields are also different from Maxis ... my fields have 3 and 5 jobs per field against the 1 from Maxis.
Come see CSX Play

rw0381c

You give the example of your Strawberry Farm, Colyn, but doesn't that lot grow anyway!? In my limited experience, I've yet to dilapidate a growable lot that wasn't my own fault. (ie. buldoze the road connection, power source or other).

But, overall, your comment seems to support my understanding of your previous post. If I am to plop, do so in stages, let the demand catch up.

Colyn your attention to these questions has been greatly appreciated!  &apls

R

Yoder7652

these are great questions since many of us do not have extensive modding knowledge (I can make the bats, but can't modd worth a **** $%Grinno$%). I was also under the impression that the industry quadrupler only works on maxis lots, but not custom ones....is this correct?

Colyn

Yes you are correct ... the industry quadrupler only works on the standard Maxis lots.

We are now in the process of upgrading the Farming EP and will mnost probably change our basic structures so that every designer will have a few small dats that will allow the user to select the number of jobs he would prefer on the fields ... are three schools of practice in the current EP ... the fields that are like Maxis ... 1 job ... then there are some with 3 jobs and then their are mine ;) ... with up to 8 jobs.
Come see CSX Play

Colyn

BTW ... you can cheat the game engine with regards to the freight trips issue in plops ... look for a Industrial growable that has the right freight trip report in the UI and plop your industrial plop over it ... that will usually give you a Short Freight trip in the UI but I am not so sure if it actually works behind the scenes ;)
Come see CSX Play

rw0381c

Quote from: Colyn on January 22, 2007, 12:09:28 AM
BTW ... you can cheat the game engine with regards to the freight trips issue in plops ... look for a Industrial growable that has the right freight trip report in the UI and plop your industrial plop over it ... that will usually give you a Short Freight trip in the UI but I am not so sure if it actually works behind the scenes ;)

Would testing that be as simple as just doing a Transit Query on the lot after a few months of "game time"? Although I am no good at growing these custom lots, I am still interested in maintaining some level of realism.

NikNik

Interesting thread indeed.
Thanks for all the extensive answers, Colyn.
I have learned a couple of things now that i was unaware of before.

:thumbsup: Thanks!

Nik-Nik

Alek King of SC4

quick notes, download the no maxis mod, you will see all your growable ind. very quickly.

Secondly ploppables cannot generate traffic, ie, plop res will not work, and plop ind . does not generate freight.

rw0381c

Thanks for the tip Alek.

Although I don't want to eliminate Maxis Industirals altogether. I still think that they made some pretty solid models. Graber Smelting and Grundstrom Copper come to mind.

Could I grow those, make them historical, and then put the No Maxis plugin in my folder?

Alek King of SC4

yep that works fine, i actually do not block maxis I-d just IHT. but wohat you said would certainly work.