• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Terraforming Teton

Started by pvarcoe, December 20, 2006, 01:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pvarcoe

Hi All.

I am in the process of Terraforming the NHP map Teton NP.
I think this could be a great region to use as a cj.
The lowlands run up to the base of the mountains and could be used for cities, farms and ranches.
This region is fairly big at 12 x 6 large tiles.
The next shot gives you an overview.

The challenge I am facing is bringing water into the game.
In the next shot you can see how I have attempted to begin a shoreline of a large lake using ploppable water.

I have determined that not only will it take forever, but isn't going to look nearly realistic enough.
So my question is, can I acheive decent results by varying the sea level.

A little background:
I am using the columbus mod with a custom snowcapped file (came with the teton map).
The elevation of the lowlands area is about 1800 feet above sea level.
I can modify the snowcapped file to adjust the sea level.

What I'm wondering is; can I create a individual sea level for each city within the region and still get the region views to look correct?
I would like to have a lake at the 1800 ft level on the left of the region. That would affect about 6 or 8 city tiles.
But I would also like some game water towards the right of the region, and that would have to exist at about the 2000 ft level.

If I have differeing sea levels (within a region) will it affect the textures created by the columbus mod?
And will it affect the snow levels?

An early experiment by me did create water at the 1800 ft level, but the shorelines seemed to display a very jagged, un-natural computery look. Hard to explain, maybe I'll post a shot of that tonight as well.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, and major kudos to the NHP team for the Teton Map!

Rayden

One tip for you. Why drawing the water using ploppable water, when you can do it with wouanagaine SC4Terraformer Tool? You can even draw your water lines without having to open each single city, as that tool works the complete map in one go. Give it a try, you will love it. About your questions on sea levels. I think you can have them in diferent cities, but you have to be carefull to load the game with the proper dat, otherwise you may flood one city that had used a lower see level mod than the one you just have loaded. And I'm sure it will look awfull when seing the cities on region mode. ;)

Edit: I think someone's already adding water to that map, if I'm not mistaken. Check the NHP Thread in this forum.

Alek King of SC4

that map with trees is going to look beautiful with or without water

i have to try a NHP map

&dance &dance

beskhu3epnm

Hey Phil!,

as author of the map, I can give some hints, or even make some modifications for you to the map.

I left the map at scale (1:1 area scale, 1:1 elevation scale), which puts the valley floor at about 1800m (1800ft is about 550m - I confirmed that it is 1800m). The valley floor, as you may have seen it, rises very very gradually to a maximum of 2035m (at the lake).

This makes it impossible to get in game water to appear naturally.

Here's what I can do for you, as you have displayed interest in our maps! I can lower the valley floor to approximately 250m or so (just to get the original river to show). You can that use the map and use wouanagaine's rain tool in SC4TF to add water (I've never used this yet, so I can't tell you too much more).

This should allow you to get the results that you want. I guess it would be possible to add the rain tool at it's current elevation.

Also, I can fix you a set of plugins (a better set, as I have figured out a way to make a better version for that map) that will give you results like this (now showing - Grand Teton with Rock Mod):

EDIT: Forgot these:
&dance &dance

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Alfred.Jones

Look forward to seeing more pvarcoe :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

wouanagaine

Mmmm , not sure about what you're talking guys, but one known sure thing is that SC4TF will not put any water in your region, or you have modded it in a way i'm not aware of

As Rayden said, you can modify the terran examplar to make the sea level at a different height and be sure to load the correct one with the correct city, I don't think it will change the texture of the columbus mod as I'm pretty confident that the height are defined from the absolute 0 and not from the sea level ( but further testing need to be done, it would be cool if you can confirm this )

What you can do, if use the teirasu rain tools ( a SC4 in game tool that drop rain ) which can be find here http://www.teirusu.com/
but be warned that it won't be saved ( but the region view will be updated ). So each time you will enter in the city you'll have to re run the rain tool
And it will be only ok if you have a lake ( a depression ) or else the water will fall on the city edges

If you want to use the plop water, you can flatten the river bed with SC4TF then in SC4 just plop the water, it works, looks at some pics I posted in the 'show us your rural ...' thread

Take care

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

jeronij

I cant believe nobody suggested to use the rain mod for this  ??? ?¿

Ha ha ha , wouanagaine has won for seconds  :D  !!
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

pvarcoe

Hey guys, thanks for all the reply's.
Some pretty useful suggestions.

Hi beskhu3epnm.
Your right, meters not feet, You'd think being Canadian, I'd have known  ;)
If you're up to it, I really would like that version with the valley floor lowered to 250.

Would that create a greater difference between the valley and the mountain tops; or would it lower all elevation by the difference (1800-250=1550 difference)?

And that screenshot with the modified plugins looks super. I'd definetly like them, thank you for offereng them. Is that a modified version of Peg's limestone, by any chance?

Thanks for checking this thread out guys. I'll post some progress when ready.

pvarcoe

Not trying to bump my own thread, just putting a little closure on it.

Thanks again for the suggestions and replys.
They have been very usefull, and I have made progress.
Rather than extend this thread longer, it would be more appropriate to start a cj, er mayor's diary.
There I can detail some of the challenges and the solutions I chose.

So that's where I am headed.
Please keep an eye out for Terraforming Teton (the Mayor's Diary), and thanks again for the help!